Before you start with these helpful tips for your trip, you commented on a podcast «The volunteer trip» where we talk about responsible tourism, volunteer experiences, types of programs, the different countries, and all the necessary tips to prepare your volunteer trip in Central America.
Central America is one of the favorite destinations for many travelers and volunteers, those who are passionate about discovering a different culture and landscapes every day. Here we will tell you some things to keep in mind before embarking on your volunteer adventure in this continent.
Why travel in Central America?
If Central America is your next destination as a volunteer, then it is necessary that you know what is important and recommended that you take into account before your trip.
- For many travelers it is a cheap destination.
- It is usually greener, one country more than another, but with a lot of nature.
- If you search the internet for the weather or weather, you will find that it rains every day, it is not so, it is rare that it rains.
- There are many things to see, each country has a charm.
How to choose a voluntary association?
Before choosing an organization to participate with, you should be clear about the following:
- In which program would you like to cooperate. Choose one that suits your way of being. The coordinators will guide you in your prior communication.
- Choose an organization and a country safe for your volunteering. Some countries declared in 2017 as safer in Central America are:
- Choose a safe organization that knows the projects where it collaborates. Also see the experience videos, testimonials, if there is someone behind to advise you request a call.
- See where the money goes, (Accommodation, meals, coordination, projects, logistics). Part of the budget of your trip will go to cover your expenses and donation to social projects.
- That you have a secure domain (https: // It is secure) (http: // It is not secure) This factor is important when making banking transactions.
- Verify that they are an organization with CIF or registered as associations to ensure that they are acting legally.
When and how to make your contribution?
- We recommend you pay with a secure method, bank transfer, redsys or paypal.
- Verify the bank details of the association.
- Pay only the program reservation if you are not traveling before 30 days, read the general conditions.
Control your travel documentation
To travel through Central America in most countries you do not need to do many formalities, however you must meet certain requirements such as:
- Verify your passport that does not expire before your return.
- Check with your vaccination center, the vaccines necessary for your destination, for Panama and Costa Rica there are no compulsory vaccines traveling from Europe or the USA.
- Having travel insurance is mandatory to take a volunteer trip.
- If your program is a social orphanage, you may be asked for a criminal record certificate, you can get it in your city.
What to bring in your backpack / suitcase to travel to Central America?
Since you are already determined to undertake this adventure as a volunteer, it is very important that you know what you should carry in your suitcase or backpack.
- Light clothing and one or two changes of long pants and closed shoes, since in some institutions they do not allow you to enter with short or beach clothes. In Latin America , public school students are uniformed.
- In our destinations in Panama, Nicaragua and Costa Rica, there are quite a few places where mosquito nets are sold, even so, if you wish you can bring one from your country of origin.
- Ear plugs and eye mask, usually dawn very early and there are no blinds.
- What you use for personal hygiene.
- If you have clothes or school supplies (notebooks, pencils, storybooks) you are always welcome.
Actually, what you need to carry is very little, just try to make a suitcase or backpack that you can easily carry with you.