Volunteering in public schools
Due to the different difficulties and needs presented by most of the children in the schools where we collaborate, we look for a way to provide personalized support through the volunteer project in teaching and school reinforcement. The role of the volunteer is very important in the project, as it helps in the personal growth and development of the skills of each child.
In general volunteers support the classroom with all daily scheduled activities. In addition to having the opportunity to create and perform activities that help stimulate and motivate children in their studies and in their daily lives.
- Facilitate the integration and learning of our children, through personalized school reinforcement and activities that involve teamwork, understanding and communication.
WHAT WILL I DO AS A VOLUNTEER?
It is not necessary that you have a university degree or specific experience to carry out the training activities to be carried out. We hope that you are a committed, participative, empathetic, enthusiastic and have all the availability for the activities and tasks that are carried out in the program:
- Support to the students during teaching hours in subjects of the volunteer’s domain.
- Programming of didactic activities such as: recycling workshops, sports activities or organization of the special Olympics.
- Sports activities that help the integration of children.
- Weekly talks that help to raise social and environmental awareness.
- Support in the areas determined by the school principal in coordination with Adventure Volunteer.
These activities may vary from day to day, depending on the school schedule.
WHAT DAYS AND DATES CAN I VOLUNTEER?
- This project is open from mid-June to mid-September.
- Arrival days are Fridays, Saturdays or Sundays, as it facilitates incorporation into the project and there is less traffic.
During national holidays the schools are closed, also the first week from 2 to 6 September due to school recess. In this week the volunteers attend the school reinforcement in the home of selected children.
TIMETABLE AND PICK-UP POINT
- You must arrive at Tocumen International Airport (PTY), where you will be picked up by your assigned logistics coordinator.
- The scheduled time for airport pick-ups is 8:00 am to 9:00 pm (ask for additional costs in case of arrival at other times).
WHERE WILL I BE AND WHAT WILL MY SCHEDULE BE DURING VOLUNTEERING?
- We usually work two shifts from 7:00 to 12:00 (morning) noon and from 12:30 to 17:00 (afternoon). The schedule assigned to the volunteer will depend on the group assigned at the time of joining the school.
The distance between the project and the volunteer’s home is 20-30 minutes on foot. Internal transportation in Chame-Bejuco is accessible and recurrent. (If you want to go by public transportation it costs 0.50 cents each way).
You should keep in mind that this volunteer program is based on the school period in Panama. The schedules or the existence of extracurricular activities or in private homes is not guaranteed as it depends on the children who sign those weeks to the activities.
COORDINATION IN THE PROJECT OF TEACHING IN CHAME
During your program you will have a general coordinator assigned to you, in addition to the directors and managers of the center. In the case of Chame your coordinator will be Evelin.
Once you are part of the Adventure Volunteer team, Evelin will induct you to the program and the tasks to be done.
HOW ARE THE LODGING AND MEALS IN CHAME?
The house is located on Victorian Lorenzo Street, second house on the left, is a typical local Panamanian house with the basics.
- You will sleep in bunk beds and share rooms with other volunteers.
- Shared bathroom.
- Accommodation includes 3 daily meals: breakfast (toast, coffee, milk, cereals, tea, oatmeal, sometimes fruit), lunch and dinner. (Local food).
- Wifi signal (internet).
- Hand wash area.
There may be unexpected water and electricity cuts.
The cost of the voluntary education and school reinforcement programme in Panama is divided into two parts. In order to register for the program, a deposit of 150€ must be paid. One month (1) before the start of the program, the final payment of the program must be paid.
Each additional week costs 180€. The prices of the program are euros, so the currency exchange will have real effect. You can check the currency exchange in the period of your trip.
The rural education program in the Veraguas area has an additional cost for logistics and transportation of 45 euros.
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING FOR?
- Welcome at the airport and transfer to the volunteer’s home
- Accommodation during your volunteering
- 3 meals during the course of your volunteer program
- 24/7 support from the Adventure Volunteer team
- Monitoring and evaluation of the programme
- Orientation and induction to the program
- Certificate of weeks completed in your volunteering
- Accident insurance during your volunteering
- Civil liability for your activity
- Receipt from NGO about your program fee
- Guidance, advice and management in the choice of programme
- Volunteer T-Shirt
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- Flight to the country
- Visa, if necessary
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Vaccines, if necessary
- Internal transportation or excursions
- Return to the airport on the last day
- Drinks, diets and special meals
- Trips inside or outside the country