VOLUNTEERING WITH CHILDREN IN TLAXCALA
In the teaching project in Tlaxcala, Mexico, there is an accompaniment in the educational and training process to the school community of the Simón Bolívar SC Science and Humanities educational center Work with children between 5 and 15 years in activities that strengthen interculturality and bilingualism among children.
The school activities and projects that the volunteer carries out are aimed at promoting the learning of children during classes and after school hours for those who have greater difficulty in learning, through collaborative and situated work environments, that is, from contexts and situations close to the reality of children, to produce meaningful learning and for community life.
In general, volunteers support the classroom with all scheduled daily activities, get involved in extracurricular work, participate in cultural projects such as: local festivals and parties. Also in school-community linking activities.
They can also propose and carry out activities that help stimulate and motivate children to learn a little more about their environment and the world.
WHAT WILL I DO AS A VOLUNTEER?
As a volunteer you will be supporting the following activities:
- Assistance during English classes, in this case volunteers must have a demonstrable level of language.
- Academic support to children during the school day in matters of volunteer domain.
- Sports, cultural and integration activities aimed at children.
- Teaching courses, workshops, talks and civic and community training activities, human rights, equity and inclusion and environmental education.
- Support in creative reading and writing workshop.
- Collaboration in the continuous training of teachers according to the topics of volunteer domain.
- Orientation work with the fathers, mothers and guardians of the boys and girls of the school.
- Participation in the school canteen.
- Rehabilitation and restoration of common areas and recreation of the school.
- Collaborate in advocacy activities “school-community: community work, school festivals, collaborative projects with other local schools, intercultural camp, collections and donations for social assistance organizations.
- Participation in the activities of “Summer School”, in case the volunteer is in the holiday period.
These activities may vary on a daily basis, depending on the school schedule. The programs are only open during the school period.
The “Summer School” works only during the summer break, from the second week of July and lasts 4 weeks.
It is not necessary that you have a university degree or specific experience to carry out the training activities to be carried out, but if we ask you:
- Be of legal age.
- A committed, participatory and empathetic person.
- Have enthusiasm.
- Count on all the availability for the activities and tasks carried out in the project.
WHAT DAYS AND WHAT DATES CAN I DO THE VOLUNTEER?
- The teaching project is open from the last week of August until the last week of June. During the national holidays the educational centers remain closed, also the last two weeks of December and the first week of January and during the Easter break.
- The “Summer School” begins the second week of July and its duration is 4 weeks from its beginning. (more or less from July 15 to August 15).
- You can arrive any day of the week, it is equally preferable that You arrive on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday, as it facilitates the incorporation into the project and guidance about the program and the place.
SCHEDULE AND COLLECTION POINT
- The schedule and pick-up point may vary depending on the availability of buses at the airport. Once, at the Benito Juárez International Airport in Mexico City, you must board a bus that leaves the interior of the airport, through the company “Red Star” or “ADO” bound for Puebla. According to the hourly availability, the terminal of Puebla is chosen which will be reached: CAPU, 4 west or Plaza San Diego.
- When taking the bus, the volunteer must notify the coordinator of their point of arrival to be picked up and transferred to the volunteer house.
WHERE WILL I BE AND WHAT WILL MY SCHEDULE BE DURING THE VOLUNTEER?
- It works from Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. The schedule assigned to the volunteer will depend on the group that is assigned at the time of joining the educational center, having as options from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. or from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- The project is developed in the municipality of Zacatelco, at a distance of 20 minutes, by public transport, from the volunteer’s house, located in Tlaxcala, the state capital.
Keep in mind that this volunteer program is based on the Mexican school period. The schedules or the existence of extracurricular activities are not guaranteed since it depends on the children who are scheduled or enrolled in the activities.
COORDINATION IN THE PROJECT
During your program you will have a general coordinator, apart from project managers or managers in the centers. In the case of Tlaxcala, your coordinator will be Milén.
Once you are part of the Adventure Volunteer team, Milén will give you an induction to the program and the work to be done.
HOW IS ACCOMMODATION AND MEALS?
The accommodation in your volunteering in Mexico is located in Acuitlapilco, Tlaxcala. CP 90740. and includes the following:
- Single or double bed. You share rooms with other volunteers, depending on availability.
- The shared bathroom
- Use of common areas
- Breakfast at the volunteer’s house (toast, coffee, milk, cereals, tea, fruit) and lunch at the school (organization menu).
The price of the teaching volunteer project with children in, Tlaxcala, Mexico, is divided into two parts. To sign up for the program, must be paid € 150 signal. One (1) month before the start of your volunteer, the rest of the program must be paid.
Each additional week is priced at € 110. The prices of the teaching volunteer project with children in Mexico are in euros, so the currency exchange will have a real effect. You can check the currency exchange during the period of your trip.
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING?
- Welcome at the Puebla bus station and transfer to the volunteer’s house
- Accommodation during your volunteer
- 1 Breakfast every day of the week and 1 lunch from Monday to Friday at the organization
- 24/7 Support of the Adventure Volunteer team and local organization.
- Monitoring and evaluation of the program
- Orientation in the area of accommodation and volunteering and induction to the program
- Certificate of weeks spent in your volunteering
- I receive an NGO about your share of the program
- Guide, advice and management in the choice of the program
- Volunteer T-shirt
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED?
- Flight to the country and transport to Puebla (bus price € 15)
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Internal transport or excursions
- Vaccines, if necessary
- Visa, if required
- Return to the airport on the last day
- Drinks, diets and special meals
- Travel or excursions inside or outside the country