VOLUNTEERING WITH CHILDREN
Originally in the volunteer programmes in care centres in Nepal, children from poor families without access to education and from parents working in the carpet industry were cared for. These places now also support orphaned children and youth throughout Nepal. Approximately 500 children are cared for in different areas ranging from nursery school to the seventh grade, ranging in age from 5 to 18 years.
The care centers in Nepal, operate thanks to donations received from charities and private donations, for food, clothing, rent and all expenses of departure, however this is a constant struggle every day.
One of the main objectives of the volunteer programmes in care centres in Nepal is to provide sustainable educational support and care to socially disadvantaged children and youth, to improve their emotional and cognitive development.
WHAT WILL I DO AS A VOLUNTEER?
The main task of the volunteer in the volunteer programme in care centres in Nepal is to support educational activities and games with the children, such as art, didactic games and songs. In addition to assisting local staff in developing new ideas and activities where children and youth can improve their learning. Any support you offer helps build a child’s self-esteem and confidence. Some of the activities that are carried out on a daily basis are:
- Nutritional support
- Create and participate in games and sports for children
- Spend time with children sharing their life stories
- Fun and other fun activities to make kids feel special.
- To teach basic English, in case of mastering the language.
- Assistance in the kitchen
- Assisting in the cleaning of the orphanage
- Hygiene activities such as nail clipping, hair clipping, washing clothes, sheets, etc.
- Other activities required by the project itself
WHAT DAYS AND DATES CAN I VOLUNTEER?
- This project is open all year round, according to the school period in Nepal.
- Closed in October for national holidays and Christmas.
- You can arrive any day of the week, we also recommend that you arrive on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday, as it facilitates the incorporation to the project.
TIMETABLE AND PICK-UP POINT
- You must arrive at Kathmandu airport (KTM), where you will be picked up by your assigned logistics coordinator.
- The scheduled time for airport pick-ups is 8:00 am to 9:00 pm (ask for additional costs in case of arrival at other times).
WHERE WILL I BE AND WHAT WILL MY SCHEDULE BE DURING VOLUNTEERING?
- Volunteer projects in nursing homes in Nepal are located in Kathmandu, Chitwan.
- We work from Monday to Friday between 4 to 6 hours a day.
Usually a volunteer’s day is organized as follows:
- 8:00 to 9:00 Breakfast with family
- 9:00 – 9:15 Road to the project.
- 9:15 – 13.00 Project support
- 13.00 – 14.00 Lunch with the family
- 14.00 – 17:00 Project support
- 17:00 – 19:00 Free time
- 19:00 Dinner with family
HOW ARE THE LODGING AND MEALS?
During the project, you will stay with a Nepalese host family near the chosen project location. Host families are very welcoming and create lasting relationships. Staying with a Nepalese family will allow you to get to know the true culture of this country, its traditions, and also to be part of its local celebrations and festivals.
The accommodation includes you:
- The three meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
- Bed in shared room with other volunteers
- Hand Washing Spaces
- Use of common areas
The price of the volunteer programs in care centers in Nepal is divided into two parts. In order to register for the program, a deposit of 150€ must be paid. One (1) month before the beginning of your volunteering, the rest of the program must be paid.
Each additional week costs 180€. The prices of the volunteer programs in care centers in Nepal are in euros, so the currency exchange will have a real effect. You can check the exchange rate for the period of your trip.
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING FOR?
- Welcome at the airport and transfer to your accommodation
- Accommodation during your volunteering
- 3 meals a day during the implementation of your volunteer program
- 24/7 support from the Adventure Volunteer team
- Monitoring and evaluation of the programme
- Orientation and induction to the program
- Certificate of weeks completed in your volunteering
- Accident insurance during your volunteering
- Civil liability for your activity
- Receipt from NGO about your program fee
- Guidance, advice and management in the choice of programme
- Volunteer T-Shirt
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- Flight to the country
- Visa, if necessary
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Vaccines, if necessary
- Internal transportation or excursions
- Return to the airport on the last day
- Drinks, diets and special meals
- Trips inside or outside the country