VOLUNTEERING IN CHILDCARE CENTRES
We usually work with children from 0 to 6 years of age. For the daily work with the children there are groups of 10 to 25 children per caregiver, so your help is necessary and very important.
As young children require attention at all times and support in daily tasks and routines. Ensuring that they are fed and dressed, as well as providing the educational tools necessary for the proper development of their skills.
Help and work in order to give a more personalized attention to each child and that they can expand their knowledge and develop their skills.
WHAT WILL I DO AS A VOLUNTEER?
Every volunteer who works with children must have the ability to empathize, since you work and live with children who live in difficult situations or poverty. Therefore, the activities carried out by the volunteers in the child care program are focused in the following way:
- Outdoor educational activities.
- Support in the early stimulation of some children.
- Monitoring and support in the classes that take place.
- Organization of daily routines for the children.
- The volunteer will help in the feeding, order and cleanliness of the children and the center.
- Care during breaks and games.
- In case you master another language, you can organize classes to teach the children (not compulsory).
WHAT DAYS AND DATES CAN I VOLUNTEER?
- The child care volunteer program is open year-round during the school year (February 6 – December 10, varies by year). It is closed for Christmas (24, 25, 31 December and the first week of January). It is also closed for Easter and the first two weeks of July for holidays.
TIMETABLE AND PICK-UP POINT
- The meeting point upon arrival in Costa Rica is the Juan Santamaría International Airport (SJO).
- Pick up time is from 8:00 to 21:30 hours. If you arrive outside these hours, you must pay a plus of 50€.
WHERE WILL I BE AND WHAT WILL MY SCHEDULE BE DURING VOLUNTEERING?
- We work from Monday to Friday, approximately 6 hours a day.
- The child care volunteer project is located in the center of San Ramon. From the houses where the volunteers are staying it is easy to get to the project, it will never be more than 12 km.
- The cost of moving from the house to the project does not exceed $1.
- It is not required that the volunteer is an expert or has a specialty in the branch of education or child care, only with the desire to help you are more than welcome.
It is important to adapt and respect the Costa Rican culture and that you are 18 years old.
The clothing required during working hours in the program is:
- Sleeveless blouses
- Closed shoes
It is also required that your level of Spanish is intermediate, as the children only speak Spanish.
ON THE FOLLOWING DATES THE PROGRAM KEEPS ITS DOORS CLOSED:
- December 24th, 25th and 31st
- The first week of January
- Easter Week
Your general coordinator in Costa Rica is Gabriela, apart from the project coordinator who will be the person who will be with you during your volunteering in the project.
HOW ARE THE LODGING AND MEALS?
You will live with a San Ramon family selected by the organization.
- The accommodation will provide you with 3 meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
- You will have access to the common areas.
- Room with shared bathroom.
The cost of the childcare volunteer program in Costa Rica is divided into two parts. First you must register for the program and pay a deposit of 150€. One month (1) before the beginning of your volunteering you must pay the rest of the program.
Each additional week in the teaching program with children with functional diversity is 170€. The price of the program is in euros, so the currency exchange will have a real effect. You can check the exchange rate for the period of your trip.
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING FOR?
- Welcome at the airport and transfer to your accommodation
- Accommodation during your volunteering
- 3 meals during the course of your volunteer program
- 24/7 support from the Adventure Volunteer team
- Monitoring and evaluation of the programme
- Orientation and induction to the program
- Certificate of weeks completed in your volunteering
- Accident insurance during your volunteering
- Civil liability for your activity
- Receipt from NGO about your program fee
- Guidance, advice and management in the choice of programme
- Volunteer T-Shirt
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- Flight to the country
- Visa, if necessary
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Visa, if required
- Internal transport
- Return to the airport on the last day
- Beverages, diets or special meals
- Trips inside or outside the country