VOLUNTEERING TEACHING ENGLISH
In order to share and teach the English language it is not necessary to have a TEFL or TESOL certification, you will only need a good command of the language at a written and conversation level. In addition to the motivation and desire to share your knowledge with others.
We encourage volunteers to be creative and flexible, as you work with children who are struggling to learn another language. In general the volunteer helps to expand and improve the vocabulary and writing of the English language in children and young people.
The number of children who attend English classes is between 7 and 12 years old. In some cases the volunteer will be the teacher’s assistant and sometimes they will teach the class. You should keep in mind that children of this age have a very low level of English.
You will also teach 13-18 year olds. Please note that many students are reluctant to speak English in class because of their level of English.
As a volunteer, in addition to supporting the teacher, you will lead conversation groups between students and people in the community who need to improve their fluency in English.
- To help children and young people to learn a second language and in some cases to improve the level of English in some people of the community.
WHAT WILL I DO AS A VOLUNTEER?
Your main role is to assist and support the teacher in the English classes or sometimes you will also support the cultural exchange classes. Usually the volunteer participates in the following activities:
- Teach English classes, where you must create dynamic and educational activities that facilitate the learning of children and young people.
- Assist the English teacher in the classes.
- Lead conversation groups or groups of local people who want to improve fluency in English.
- Organize English classes. (in this activity you will be supported by the local coordinator).
- Basic teaching of any subject, talks and initiatives.
- It is very important that you are a creative person to work with children in difficult environments.
WHAT DAYS AND DATES CAN I VOLUNTEER?
- This project is open all year round, except for Christmas (24, 25 and 31 December, the first week of January and Easter).
TIMETABLE AND PICK-UP POINT
- The meeting point on the day of your arrival is Juan Santamaría International Airport (SJO).
- Pick up time is from 8:00 to 21:30. If you arrive outside these hours, you must pay a plus of 50€.
WHERE WILL I BE AND WHAT WILL MY SCHEDULE BE DURING VOLUNTEERING?
The volunteer program teaching English language in Costa Rica is located in the center of San Ramon. There is also the possibility of doing it in the center of Punta Arenas (Aranjuez).
We work from Monday to Thursday or Friday depending on the center, 4 hours minimum and 8 hours maximum. The program is developed in public schools and care centers.
From the house where the volunteer is staying until the project will be no more than 18km and the cost of transportation is no more than $1.50 or in some cases is less than 20 minutes walk from the home of the volunteer.
The volunteer program of English language teaching in Costa Rica will be closed on the following dates:
- From the third week of November to the second week of February.
- For Easter (it is one week)
- The first 2 weeks of July
On the clothing to be used in the project would be:
- Jeans (jeans)
- Blouse or short sleeve shirt.
- Shoes or slippers (closed shoes).
- Shorts, suspenders and short dresses are not allowed to be worn during the hours you are in the center.
Your general coordinator in Costa Rica is Gabriela, apart from the project coordinator who will be the person who will be with you during your volunteering in the project.
HOW ARE THE LODGING AND MEALS?
You will stay with one of the San Ramon families selected by the organization. We also have other centers in other villages where you will stay in the volunteer’s house.
In the house you will be provided:
- The 3 meals a day from Monday to Sunday.
- Access to common areas
- Room with shared bathroom.
- Wifi in some cases.
The price of the Volunteer English Language Program is divided into two parts. In order to register for the program, a deposit of 150€ must be paid. One month (1) before the start of the program, the final payment of the program must be paid.
Each additional week in the English language program is 170€. The price of the program is in euros, so the currency exchange will have a real effect. You can check the exchange rate for the period of your trip.
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING FOR?
- Welcome at the airport and transfer to your accommodation
- Accommodation during your volunteering
- 3 meals during the course of your volunteer program
- 24/7 support from the Adventure Volunteer team
- Monitoring and evaluation of the programme
- Orientation and induction to the program
- Certificate of weeks completed in your volunteering
- Accident insurance during your volunteering
- Civil liability for your activity
- Receipt from NGO about your program fee
- Guidance, advice and management in the choice of programme
- Volunteer T-Shirt
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- Flight to the country
- Visa, if necessary
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Vaccines, if required
- Internal transportation or excursions
- Return to the airport on the last day
- Beverages, diets or special meals
- Trips inside or outside the country