Volunteer after school support in Guatemala seeks to provide the minimum and necessary tools to our children and young people, to expand their knowledge and improve their skills, with the aim of achieving their dreams.
With the development of the project, it is possible to improve the lives of many marginalized children and youth in Antigua Guatemala. With the support of the local organization, we provide a safe space of empowerment, learning and coexistence for them, who spend most of their time on the streets, working or accompanying their working parents.
We work according to the following sustainable development objectives
WHAT WILL I DO AS A VOLUNTEER?
The volunteers who are part of the after-school program in Guatemala support the 4 modules that are worked in the center with children between 5 to 11 years old, these are:
- Knowing myself
- Get to know my community
- Getting to know my country
- Seeds for the future.
Workshops and activities are also carried out with children from 0 to 5 years old, where the caregiver of the child and young people participate, with the intention of generating a close bond with their caregiver, who in most cases is usually their mother. Emotions that stimulate learning are worked on.
You can also be part of the classes of young people between 12 and 18 years old. Some are possibly finishing school, others are not attending or working.
All activities are focused on culturally relevant and meaningful topics for children / youth.
WHAT DAYS AND ON WHICH DATES CAN I VOLUNTEER?
- The project is open all year, during the Guatemalan school period, except on national holidays and vacations.
You can arrive any day of the week, it is also preferable that you arrive on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday, since it makes it easier to join the project and there is less traffic.
SCHEDULE AND COLLECTION POINT
- The collection point is La Aurora International Airport.
- The scheduled time for pick-ups is from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (ask for additional costs in case of arrival at other times).
WHERE WILL I BE AND WHAT WILL MY SCHEDULE BE DURING THE VOLUNTEERING?
The extracurricular volunteer support in Guatemala takes place from Monday to Friday from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. and on Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon. The volunteer can use Saturdays to get to know a little more about Guatemala, but must notify the coordinator in advance.
- The program runs from February to the first week of December.
The project is a 5 minute walk from the volunteer house. The path is easy and safe for volunteers.
WHAT IS THE ACCOMMODATION AND MEALS LIKE?
The accommodation is in a family selected by the organization and is located southwest of the Central Park from Antigua Guatemala.
- You share a room with other volunteers.
- The rooms have the bathroom inside.
- The house is in a traditional Guatemalan style, but the family already has experience with volunteers.
- You will receive a key to the house (main door and room).
- You will have at your disposal the common areas of the house.
- You have breakfast and dinner included from Monday to Saturday.
- You have WIFI connection.
The contribution to the after-school volunteer support project in Guatemala is divided into two parts. To register for the program, must be paid deposit of € 150. One month (1) before the start, the final payment of the program must be paid.
Each additional week costs € 120. Contributions to the volunteer program are in euros, so the currency exchange will have a real effect. You can check the currency exchange during the period of your trip.
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING FOR?
- Welcome at the airport and transfer to the family
- Accommodation during your volunteering
- host2 meals during the realization of your volunteer program (breakfast and dinner)
- 24/7 support from the Adventure Volunteer team
- Monitoring and evaluation of the program
- Orientation and induction to the program
- Certificate of weeks
- Spent in your volunteering Accident Insurance during your volunteering
- Civil liability for your activity
- NGO receipt of your program fee
- Guide, advice and management in choosing the program
- Volunteer T-shirt
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED?
- Flight to the country
- Visa, if necessary
- Travel insurance (compulsory)
- Vaccines, if necessary
- Internal transport or excursions
- Return to the airport on the last day
- Drinks, diets or special meals
- Travel within or outside the country