The Teaching volunteer program in Nepal was created to help orphans and children from poor families, and to provide educational support in monasteries in Nepal. We work in schools for the community, adults and children. Approximately 500 children and 81 families currently benefit from the programs. The children that we work with are from 5 to 18 years old.
The Teaching volunteer programs in Nepal are recommended for: teachers, students, teenage volunteers and anyone interested in sharing their knowledge and putting their skills into practice.
We develop the programs in four places in Nepal: Kathmandu, Pokhara, Chitwan and Gorkha.
YOUR ROLE AS A VOLUNTEER
- English language teaching (tenses, grammar, speech and pronunciation).
- Teaching of Mathematics (according to the students’ level and classroom curriculum).
- Illustrative teaching activities, as well as support in the English and Maths lab.
- Helping the teachers to complete the curriculum.
- Supporting students in household chores.
- Problem solving sessions with students.
- Providing individual help to students with learning difficulties.
- Group meetings with students and teachers.
- Awareness talks about the negative effects of chewing tobacco, smoking, intoxication, etc.
- Assisting in the school kitchen with food preparation and food service for children.
- Helping monks complete daily tasks
- Teaching English (if you are fluent in the language)
- Giving classes in geography, art and crafts
- Teaching how to use computer programs
- Participating in outdoor activities and games
- Supporting extracurricular activities
- Helping the staff of the monastery with the maintenance of the site and planning of daily activities
- Assistance with documentation
- Other assistance required by the Monastery
- Helping with English language classes for tribal children
- Teaching about the importance of hygiene
- Giving classes on environmental education
- Teaching tribal parents
- Helping at the boarding school
- Supporting arts and crafts classes
- Participating in activities and games with children
SCHEDULE AND PLACE OF WORK
All volunteers work from Monday to Friday, approximately 6 hours a day. Our teaching projects take place in the following cities: Kathmandu, Pokhara, Chitwan and Gorkha.
The volunteer program usually begins with orientation and induction to the project. This happens during the first 2 days after your arrival, where you meet the rest of the volunteers, learn about Nepalese customs and visit the chosen project.
The schedule is usually from 9:00 am to 12:30 pm, and from 2:00 to 5:00 pm. The weekends are free, so you can get to know the country a little more.
ACCOMMODATION AND MEALS
Our volunteers live in Nepali hostels, selected by the organization. The accommodation provides:
- Common living spaces
- Internet access
- Rooms with shared bathrooms
- Laundry areas for hand-washing clothes
The distance from the accommodations to the projects is no more than 10 to 15 minutes walking.
The total cost of the Teaching volunteer program in Nepal starts at €585 for two weeks. Each additional week costs €180. (The price in dollars is approximate.)
The prices of the Teaching volunteer program in Nepal are in euros, so the currency exchange will be affected. You can check the exchange rate in the period of your trip.
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING FOR?
- Airport pick-up
- Accommodation with a Nepalese host family
- Meals during your volunteering
- Orientation and induction to the project
- 24/7 support from the Adventure Volunteer team
- Monitoring and evaluation of the program
- Volunteering certificate