VOLUNTEER OF CREATION OF SCHOOL AND COMMUNITY
Holidays school and community gardens is a project whose aspiration is to raise awareness among school and community actors about environmental, domestic and community care and the co-responsibility of everyone in domestic production of our food, to ensure a fair and healthy diet.
In its development, the project consolidates theoretical and conceptual contents on sustainability, promotes human and social skills and fosters values for harmonious coexistence between subjects and the environment.
IMPACT ON THE COMMUNITY
- The members of the school community become promoters of good practices to live in harmony with nature and with the members of their community.
- The children of the community are managers of the domestic production of their food in their homes, to ensure a fair and healthy diet.
- Other schools participate in the project and reproduce this initiative in their schools and communities.
- The families reproduce the project of home gardens in their homes. Thus they become aware of the importance of working in community to foster domestic and community care. They incorporate and rescue good practices for the production of their food.
WHAT WILL I DO AS A VOLUNTEER?
The general activities that are scheduled are the following:
- Field care tasks.
- Environmental education workshops, training campaigns and complementary educational activities.
- I work with groups of children, teachers and parents of the school community.
- Participate in school outside the classroom (EFA)
- Participate in circles of reflection and accompaniment of learning processes.
- Participation in camp trips and guided tours.
- Participation in activity planning.
- Systematization and activity report.
- Management related to the project.
- Reforestation and pruning activities.
- Participation in the planning, organization and execution of the “Alternative and barter market” that takes place at the end of the project.
- Collaboration in the continuous training of teachers according to the topics of volunteer domain.
- Participation in food preparation.
- Rehabilitation and restoration of common and recreational areas.
- Collaborate in the “school-community” advocacy activities: community work, school festivals, collaborative projects with other local schools, intercultural camp, collections and donations for social assistance organizations.
- Support in the areas determined by the school principal in coordination with Adventure Volunteer.
- Participation in the activities of “Summer School”, in case the volunteer this period at the Simón Bolívar SC Science and Humanities School
WHAT DAYS AND WHAT DATES CAN I DO THE VOLUNTEERING?
- The project is open from the last week of August until the last day of June, and during the period of the “Little Summer School”, it starts the second week of July and its duration is 4 weeks from that date. During the national holidays the educational centers remain closed, also the last two weeks of December and the first week of January and during the Easter break.
- You can arrive any day of the week, it is equally preferable that You arrive on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday, as it facilitates the incorporation into the project and guidance about the program and the place.
SCHEDULE AND COLLECTION POINT
- The schedule and pick-up point may vary depending on the availability of buses at the airport. Once, at the Benito Juárez International Airport in Mexico City, you must board a bus that leaves the interior of the airport, through the company “Red Star” or “ADO” bound for Puebla. According to the hourly availability, the terminal of Puebla is chosen which will be reached: CAPU, 4 west or Plaza San Diego.
When taking the bus, the volunteer must notify the coordinator of their point of arrival to be picked up and transferred to the volunteer house.
WHERE WILL I BE AND WHAT WILL MY SCHEDULE BE DURING THE VOLUNTEER?
- The school works from Monday to Friday from 8:00to 3:00 a.m.p.m. The schedule assigned to the volunteer will depend on the group assigned to him at the time of joining the educational center, with options from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon or from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- The project is developed in the municipality of Zacatelco, at a distance of 20 minutes, by public transport, from the volunteer’s house, located in Tlaxcala, the state capital.
Keep in mind that this volunteer program is based on the Mexican school period. The schedules or the existence of extracurricular activities are not guaranteed since it depends on the children who are scheduled or enrolled in the activities.
COORDINATION IN THE PROJECT
During your program you will have a general coordinator, apart from project managers or managers in the centers. In the case of Tlaxcala, your coordinator will be Milén.
Once you are part of the Adventure Volunteer team, Milén will give you an induction to the program and the work to be done.
HOW IS ACCOMMODATION AND MEALS?
- Accommodation in your school and community garden volunteers in Mexico is located in Acuitlapilco, Tlaxcala. CP 90740.
- You will sleep in a single or double bed.
- You share rooms with other volunteers, depending on availability.
- The shared bathroom, the kitchen, the living room, the utility room, the dining room and the garden are common spaces for those who inhabit the house.
- The accommodation includes breakfast at the volunteer’s house (toast, coffee, milk, cereals, tea, fruit) and lunch at the school (organization menu).
The price of the school and community gardens volunteer project with children in, Tlaxcala, Mexico, is divided into two parts. To sign up for the program, amust be paid € 150 signal. One (1) month before the start of your volunteer, the rest of the program must be paid.
Each additional week is priced at € 110. The prices of the volunteer project of school and community gardens with children in Mexico, are in euros, so the currency exchange will have real effect. You can check the currency exchange during the period of your trip.
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING?
- Welcome at the Puebla bus station and transfer to the volunteer’s house.
- Accommodation during your volunteering.
- 1 Breakfast every day of the week and 1 lunch from Monday to Friday in the organization.
- 24/7 support of the Adventure Volunteer team and local organization.
- Monitoring and evaluation of the program.
- Orientation in accommodation and volunteer area and induction to the program.
- Certificate of weeks spent in your volunteering.
- I receive NGOs about your program fee.
- Guide, advice and management in the choice of the program.
- Volunteer T-shirt
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED?
- Flight to the country and transport to Puebla (bus price € 15)
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Internal transportation or excursions
- Vaccines, ifrequired
- visa is, if necessary
- Return to the airport on the last day
- Drinks, diets and special meals
- Travel or excursions inside or outside the country