Volunteering in a children’s centre
Being a volunteer in some parts of the world, for many travelers is one of their best experiences lived, especially if it is to teach children and young people from low-income communities or people who need support.
A volunteer can teach abroad through volunteer programs, and this time has the opportunity to collaborate in the volunteer project for children in Cusco.
We work with children between the ages of 5 and 12 and teenagers between the ages of 13 and 18. If you want to know more about the childcare volunteer project in Cusco, read on reading all the information we provide you to start your own volunteering experience.
Generate love, self-esteem, after-school review of the educational needs of the children (most of them are children from the Quechua community with very low resources).
WHAT WILL I DO AS A VOLUNTEER?
Most of the extra-curricular activities are to generate self-esteem and moral support for the young person, trying to enhance their skills, listening to them, imparting love and teaching them values. Cusco is a very spiritual place, and is part of the culture, so in the extra school classes there are relaxation activities with the children.
They also work in areas such as:
- Art and expression
- Personalized tutoring for children and young people with greater difficulty
The volunteer is also expected to put into practice their creativity and initiative, has the freedom to propose and organize workshops, games and dynamic activities that help children in their learning.
It is important to keep in mind that teaching methodologies are different. Some of the things you can see in a classroom are:
- There may be more children than recommended
- Children of different ages
- Lack of didactic material
- Children with special educational needs.
- Let this not be an impediment to contributing, teaching and having a magical moment with the children.
Let this not be an impediment to contributing, teaching and having a magical moment with the children.
If you are not a teacher or expert in working with children and adolescents, do not worry, the volunteer is not required to have a specialty in education to support the school reinforcement of children and youth, but we ask you:
- Be of legal age
- Be punctual
- Prepare activities ahead of time
- Always arrive at the project with a positive attitude
- Attend organized volunteer meetings
It is very important that you present the following documentation in the application process for your volunteer work in Peru:
- Criminal record
- Copy of your passport
- Curriculum and/or motivation in the extended form.
The clothing required in the project is as follows:
- Long pants (not adjusted)
- Shirts that cover his shoulders. (Not adjusted)
- Closed shoes or sneakers
- Depending on the workshop in which you are participating that time of day, you will wear a robe of a different color to differentiate the type of activity.
Another important point to keep in mind is that smoking and drinking are strictly forbidden in schools. (even off-site).
WHAT DAYS AND ON WHAT DATES CAN I VOLUNTEER?
- The project is open all year round.
- You must arrive on Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
- Your first day in the project will be on Monday.
TIMETABLE AND PICK-UP POINT
- You must arrive at the Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport (CUZ), where you will be picked up by the taxi driver or project coordinator.
- Scheduled pick-up time is from 8:00 to 21:00 (ask for additional costs in case of arrival at other times).
WHERE WILL I BE AND WHAT WILL MY SCHEDULE BE DURING VOLUNTEERING?
- We collaborate from Monday to Friday.
- Morning shift from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- In the afternoon from 14:50 to 19:00 (Schools in Cuzco and the Sacred Valley).
In the school holidays season the project opens only in the morning from 8:50 to 13:00 hours and is closed on holidays in Cusco (national holidays).
HOW ARE THE LODGING AND MEALS?
You will live in a volunteer hostel 10 minutes walk from the project and you have included:
- Bed in shared room
- Use of common areas
- Low cost laundry
- Locker (carry padlock)
*The hostel may charge a deposit for the 20 soles room key which will be returned at the end of your accommodation.
The cost of the childcare volunteer project in Cusco is divided into two parts. In order to register for the program, a deposit of 150€ must be paid. One (1) month before the beginning of your volunteering the rest of the program must be paid.
The prices of the volunteer program of School reinforcement for children and adolescents in Peru are in euros, so the exchange of foreign currency will be affected. You can check the currency exchange rate in the period of your trip.
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING FOR?
- Welcome at the airport and transfer to your accommodation
- Accommodation during your volunteering
- Breakfast at the lodge
- 24/7 support from local and international Adventure Volunteer team.
- Monitoring and evaluation of the program
- Orientation and induction to the program
- Certificate of weeks completed in your volunteering
- Accident insurance during your volunteering
- Civil liability for your activity
- Receipt from NGO about your program fee
- Guidance, advice and management in the choice of programme
- Volunteer T-Shirt
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- Flight to the country
- Visa, if necessary
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Return to the airport on the last day
- Drinks, diets and special meals
- Trips inside or outside the country