VOLUNTEERING WITH CHILDREN IN CHIANG MAI
Teaching English is one of the ways to volunteer in Thailand, with the support of native teachers and teachers, the volunteer can connect and interact in a more natural and enriching way with children. The English language teaching volunteer program is important, since with dedication and support young children have the possibility to finish their studies and learn new tools that help them to develop better in their daily lives.
It is a project that allows you to get to know Thailand first hand and be another Thai. All volunteers who are part of this project play a fundamental role in the care and teaching of these children.
Approximately 100 children are served at ages 3 to 5 years. Generally, the volunteers are there to help the full-time staff, so it is important that you be a flexible person with a lot of initiative.
WHAT WILL I DO AS A VOLUNTEER?
The role of the volunteer will depend on the school and your interest. You are assigned a Thai teacher, where you can go to class with this person and help with daily lessons and classes.
However, for any volunteer who has the confidence and ability to plan their own lessons according to school programming, you are welcome to lead your own class.
Keep in mind that to prepare and plan a lesson, you must follow a simple procedure on how to plan and lead the class. Try to cover all four skills (speaking, listening, reading and writing) in the one hour period of class.
Here is a basic guide on how inexperienced volunteers can plan lessons:
- Introduction to class and a brief warm-up and fun activity.
- Presentation of new material / review of material already covered.
- Practice of the material presented.
- Conversation activity then writing activity using the covered material
- A quick close / close activity
SUGGESTIONS OF SUBJECTS FOR ENGLISH CLASSES:
We know that it can be a bit complicated to take the rhythm in a class, more if it is your first day, so We leave you a list of suggestions of topics that you can teach children:
- Days of the week / months of the year.
- Places around the city
- Countries / travel vocabulary
- Things at home
Here are some activities you can plan and do with children:
- Memory (vocabulary and definition / image)
- Word searches
- Dialogue games
- Bingo (with numbers , images, vocabulary, whatever)
- Spin the bottle (conversation / vocabulary, no kisses)
- Simon says
- Current dictation
English educational materials, stationery and books:
Most schools use textbooks and student work books in English classes. You should keep in mind that some books are well above the abilities of the students who use them.
Some volunteers are free to use other material or activities in the classes, however, it is recommended that volunteers try to use textbooks and workbooks whenever possible, as students will continue to use the books. With this do not feel limited, if you plan an activity or lesson and use images and different materials, it can be very fun and incredibly educational for children.
- It is important to keep in mind that most schools have a procedure for copies that volunteers can use. A volunteer should consult their co-workers or the assigned teacher at the school.
WHAT IS REQUIRED OF THE VOLUNTEER
- To support and be part of a volunteer experience in Thailand you must be 18 years of age or older. It is also important that you master spoken and written English.
- If you are not an expert in teaching with children, do not worry, teaching credentials are not required to volunteer to teach English in Thailand.
It is very important that the following be submitted to the application process for your volunteer participation:
- Police background
- Copy of your passport
WHAT DAYS AND WHAT DATES CAN I DO THE VOLUNTEERING?
- The project is open all year in the Thai school period.
SCHEDULE AND COLLECTION POINT
- The meeting point is at the Chiang Mai International Airport, trains and buses.
- Pick up time is from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. If you arrive outside these hours, you will be picked up the next day at an agreed point.
WHERE WILL I BE AND WHAT WILL MY SCHEDULE BE DURING THE VOLUNTEER?
It collaborates in public schools in Chiang Mai at the following times:
- 8:00 AssemblyAM
- 8:30 Classes begin
- 11:10 Lunch / Break
- 12:10 After lunch, the assembly and classes begin again.
- 16:20 The school ends for the day.
Also the schedule assigned to the volunteers will be delivered when they start volunteering.
HOW TO GET TO THE VOLUNTEER PROJECT?
All volunteers who are part of the English language teaching volunteer program are responsible for daily transportation to and from the volunteer house and their assigned school.
Most of the volunteers go to the projects on foot (approximately 20 minutes to reach the project). The volunteers see it as a way to get to know a little more about the place.
Usually you must have between € 1.50 – € 3.00 per day for transport.
- Transportation by Songthaews (Thai-style minibuses) is normally THB 20 (€ 0.70) per trip.
- Tuk tuks (three-wheel motorized rickshaws) are more expensive, but faster. A trip can leave you approximately 50 THB (€ 1.60).
On your first day, the volunteer coordinator will accompany you to the school and introduce you to the school administration. Volunteers travel with the coordinator that day by local transportation so you learn how to get to school and return only on the next days you are volunteering.
The dress required in the project is:
The dress code in schools in Thailand is formal. It is not considered appropriate to wear clothes that are too tight or bare.
Volunteers are required to wear:
- Tight pants or long skirts (that reach the knee)
- Wear shirts that cover your shoulders and breasts. (Not adjusted)
- Volunteers will also be asked to remove the piercings and cover the exposed tattoos.
In addition smoking and drinking is strictly prohibited in educational centers and accommodation. During the hours you are at school, all volunteers are asked to refrain from smoking (even off-site).
The price of the English language teaching volunteer project in Thailand is divided into two parts, to sign up for the program a € 150 signal must be paid. Even month (1) of your volunteer trip you must pay the rest of the program.
Each additional week is priced at € 160. The prices of the English language teaching volunteer program are in euros, so the currency exchange will have a real effect. You can check the currency exchange during the period of your trip.
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING?
- Welcome at the airport and transfer to the house of the volunteer
- Accommodation during your volunteer
- Breakfast during the realization of your volunteer program
- Support 24/7 of the Adventure Volunteer team
- Monitoring and evaluation of the program
- Orientation and induction to the program
- Certificate of weeks carried out in your volunteer
- Insurance Accidents during your volunteering
- Civil responsibility for your activity
- I receive an NGO about your program fee
- Guidance, advice and management in choosing theprogram
- Volunteer T-shirt
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED?
- Flight to Thailand
- Visa, if necessary
- Vaccines, if required
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Internal transport or excursions
- Return to the airport on the last day
- Drinks, diets and special meals
- Travel inside or outside the country