Teaching children with special educational needs plays an important role in our society, in the family and in educational spaces. The work that is achieved together makes it easier for our children to integrate and live together in these environments.
Therefore we try through the project of teaching with special educational needs, to provide the necessary support so that children can adapt to the school environment.
We work through didactic activities and workshops, music classes, dance, art, theater, among others. Also many of these children and young people receive speech therapy, physiotherapy and support and assistance with emotional problems.
To help develop the skills of children with special needs such as: blindness, deafness, autism, Asperger’s, Down syndrome and paralysis through the special needs education project.
WHAT WILL I DO AS A VOLUNTEER?
As a volunteer, you help teachers and class leaders with the daily tasks of the center. These tasks usually consist of following daily routines, behaviors, monitoring, classroom support.
Support is also required in the tasks of early stimulation, support in feeding, creation of material, care in free time and performance of games.
In summary, the activities in which you participate as a volunteer are:
- Classroom Support
- Collaboration in early, visual, sensory and/or auditory stimulation
- Participation in outdoor activities
- Assistance in feeding some students
- Creation of activities and material for the classes.
- If you are specialists in some of the areas of special education, or have experience in this area, you can use it to create activities that benefit in a more direct way the children and youth of the center.
- Follow-up and accompaniment in daily routines
It is not necessary that you have a specialty in these branches. But if you need to be older, you should be patient, creative, and open-minded. It is also important the desire to help, give love and affection to these children and young people.
WHAT DAYS AND DATES CAN I VOLUNTEER?
- It is open all year round during the school year in Costa Rica (starts regularly from 06 February to 10 December). It is closed for Christmas (24, 24, 31 and the first week of January). Also for Easter and the first two weeks of July for holidays.
TIMETABLE AND PICK-UP POINT
- The meeting point is at the Juan Santamaría International Airport (SJO).
- Pick up time is from 8:00 to 21:30. If you arrive outside these hours, you must pay a plus of 50€.
WHERE WILL I BE AND WHAT WILL MY SCHEDULE BE DURING VOLUNTEERING?
We regularly work from Monday to Thursday approximately 6 hours maximum. The volunteer has Friday and the weekend to visit Costa Rica.
The clothing required in the project is:
Long pants (jeans or jeans).
Short sleeve blouses or t-shirts.
Shoes or slippers (closed shoes).
Shorts, strapless blouses and short dresses are not allowed.
NO CLASSES ON THE FOLLOWING DATES:
- From the third week of November to the second week of February.
- Nor during Easter Week.
- During the holiday period, which comprises the first two weeks of July
Your general coordinator in Costa Rica is Gabriela, apart from the project coordinator who will be the person who will be with you during your volunteering in the project.
HOW ARE THE LODGING AND MEALS?
You will live with a family in San Ramon selected by the organization.
- Homestay accommodation includes 3 meals a day from Monday to Friday (Breakfast, lunch and dinner).
In the house you will have access to the common areas of the house and a room with shared bathroom.
The price of the volunteer project “Teaching with children with functional diversity” in Costa Rica is divided into two parts, to register the program you must pay a deposit of 150 €. Even month (1) of your volunteer trip you will have to pay the rest of the program.
Each additional week in the teaching program with children with functional diversity is 170€. The price of the program is in euros, so the currency exchange will have a real effect. You can check the exchange rate for the period of your trip.
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING FOR?
- Welcome at the airport and transfer to your accommodation
- Accommodation during your volunteering
- 3 meals during the course of your volunteer program
- 24/7 support from the Adventure Volunteer team
- Monitoring and evaluation of the programme
- Orientation and induction to the program
- Certificate of weeks completed in your volunteering
- Accident insurance during your volunteering
- Civil liability for your activity
- Receipt from NGO about your program fee
- Guidance, advice and management in the choice of programme
- Volunteer T-Shirt
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- Flight to the country
- Visa, if necessary
- Vaccines, if required
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Internal transport
- Return to the airport on the last day
- Beverages, diets or special meals
- Trips inside or outside the country