The important thing is that you really love animals and want to help!
Through the animal rescue and care volunteer program in the Dominican Republic, it’s possible to help many sick and malnourished dogs and horses. Working with commitment and dedication allows us to provide them with a home and a qualified medical care. Many of these animals need affection, love and proper nutrition.
We attend and care for dogs, horses, mules, cows and many other animals that live in the center in the midst of the beautiful nature that surrounds Samana in the Dominican Republic. All this work is made possible with the help of the local staff and volunteers who support us every day.
Despite the support we receive, a lot of help is still needed to provide adequate care and attention to the animals, as we also strive to find new homes for the nearly 50 dogs currently living in the center.
ACTIVITIES TO BE CARRIED OUT
You can be part of the animal rescue and care volunteer program in the Dominican Republic and support the following activities as a volunteer:
- Taking care of dogs and training them.
- Taking care of horses and mules and training them.
- Maintaining meadows, barns and kennels.
- Helping with the maintenance of the centre, including painting, building fences, planting grass, fixing gates, and other tasks.
- Assisting veterinarians during medical visits, treatments or operations to castrate or sterilize animals.
- Developing and implementing awareness-raising and educational activities for children and the general public to improve the situation of neglected animals in the long term.
You don’t need to be an animal care expert or specialist. However, you must be enthusiastic, proactive and willing to work with kindness, commitment and patience. Therefore, anyone regardless of their experience with animals is welcome to participate in the program.
All volunteers must commit to working at least 4 hours a day, Monday to Friday, on shifts from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm, and from 2:00 to 5:00 pm.
It is generally recommended that you wear jeans, blouses (with sleeves) and closed shoes in the animal rescue and care volunteer program in the Dominican Republic.
ACCOMMODATION AND MEALS
For volunteers we have accommodation available in apartments near the project. The rooms are shared with other volunteers of the same gender. These apartments have common areas (kitchen, shared bathrooms, free WIFI and access to the washing machine). However, meals are not included. In case you require included meals, you can stay with Dominican families selected by the organization.
The cost of the animal rescue and care volunteer program in the Dominican Republic is divided into two parts. First you must pay a deposit of €150 to reserve your place in the program.
The prices of the program are in euros, so the exchange rate will be affected. You can check the currency exchange rate before your trip at the following link https://conversormoneda.com/
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING FOR?
- Airport pick-up
- Accommodation in host families or volunteer apartments
- Meals during your program (with families)
- Orientation and induction day
- 24/7 support from the Adventure Volunteer team
- Monitoring and evaluation of the programme
- Volunteering certificate