Violence and machismo are widespread problems in India. The volunteer program in women’s shelters in India has been created to support basic education and skills development for women living in rural areas, slums, villages and particularly excluded women.
The shelter is a support and protection space for women who go through critical circumstances, mainly victims of violence. The house offers a safe space, as well as legal, psychological support, family mediation, training and job placement.
The volunteer program in women’s shelters in India focuses on activities with women that contribute to improving their social and training skills and abilities.
With the support of the association team, the local team and the volunteers, it has been possible to create areas for the different trainings and workshops such as: sewing work, beautician courses, drawing and painting of henna.
Through the project we ensure that these women obtain at least a basic level in educational subjects, language (English) along with the basic knowledge of mathematics. Keep in mind that many of the women who attend the center do not know how to write or read. So attending classes, trainings and workshops helps them a lot on a personal and professional level.
Currently around 60 women attend, some are accompanied by their children who join the school education and reinforcement project.
WHAT WILL I DO AS A VOLUNTEER?
When volunteering in the volunteer program in a women’s shelter in India, you should be aware that the new and old India still have differences in their reflections. However, the change begins with initiatives such as support for education.
The project seeks to provide opportunities through volunteers like you and me, who can contribute their knowledge and help these people, especially these women. This support will help women to believe more in them and have more autonomy.
Some of the activities in which you become a volunteer are:
- Perform and teach English.
- Teach office automation.
- Conduct self-esteem, self-confidence and emotional skills workshops.
- Participate in recreational workshops (games, songs, cooking).
- Support in the design and development of textile products that may be useful for commercialization.
- Participate in craft workshops.
- Get involved and participate in sports (yoga, gymnastics).
- Realization of health fields, medical recognition and awareness in healthy practices.
- Housekeeping work.
WHAT DAYS AND WHAT DATES CAN I DO THE VOLUNTEER?
- The project is open all year. Also on special dates such as festivals you can join and participate in the activities that are organized. That is, you can arrive any day of the year and you will be welcome to be part of our volunteer program.
Some of these festivals are:
- Camel Festival- Bikaner which is on January 12 and 13
- Kite Festival – Jaipur on January 14
- Holi Festival of colors that is on March 20 and 21
- Teej Festival that takes place on August 4
- The Festival of Sisters that is August 15 d
- Dusshera Festival on October 8
- Diwali Festival of Lights on October 27
- Pushkar Camel Fair from November 4 to 12
OPENING HOURS AND POINT
- The collection point is Jaipur International Airport,
- The Schedule scheduled for airport pickups is from 8:00 AM to 9:30 PM. (ask for additional costs in case of arrival at other times).
WHERE WILL I BE AND WHAT WILL MY SCHEDULE BE DURING THE VOLUNTEER?
- The activities in the volunteer program in the foster home are held from Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. in Jaipur.
On weekends you will have them free, which you can take advantage of to get to know the country or take an excursion. Our local coordinator will guide you on the places that may be of interest to you and how to reach them.
HOW IS ACCOMMODATION AND MEALS?
Volunteers stay in shelters selected by the association in downtown areas and outside Jaipur. The houses have access to Wi-Fi connection. It has kitchen, living and dining spaces that you can use. It has rooms that you will share with other volunteers.
In the accommodation they will provide you with the 3 daily meals, during your stay in the program (Breakfast, lunch and dinner).
- Breakfast: It is served between 8:00 and 9:00 in the morning. Coffee, tea, milk, bread, jam, butter or egg are served.
- The meal: The lunch schedule (meals) regularly starts from 12:00 and 14:00 hours. They are typical Indian foods.
- Dinner: What is served at dinner is similar to lunch (lunch) and is usually served after 7:00 p.m.
The price of the volunteer program in a women’s shelter in India is divided into two parts. To sign up for the program , a € 150 signal must be paid. The rest of the payment can be made up to one month before the trip.
Each additional week is priced at € 160. (Prices are in Euros) to convert your local currency you can use the currency converter.
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING?
- Welcome at the airport and transfer to the house of the volunteer
- Accommodation during your volunteer
- 3 meals during the realization of your volunteer program
- Support 24/7 of the Adventure Volunteer team
- Monitoring and evaluation of the program
- Orientation and induction to the program
- Certificate of weeks realized in your volunteering
- Accident Insurance during your volunteering
- Civil liability for your activity
- I receive an NGO about your program fee
- Guidance, advice and management in choosing the program
- Volunteer T-shirt
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED?
- Flight to the country
- Visa, if necessary
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Internal transport and excursions
- Return to the airport on the last day
- Drinks, diets or special meals
- Trips inside or outside the Country