Can children be taught through nature?
Education is the basis of the development of a society, so our effort is focused on teaching our children, youth and communities to learn in a different and dynamic way through the volunteering project Eco Village in Cusco, Peru.
What will I do as a volunteer?
Among the projects in which we have a presence in Cusco, is the Eco Village project, which is directly related to the proper use of the natural resources that surround them.
As a volunteer you can help in the conservation and good use of resources and the environment. You can participate in the different areas of the project, to the extent of your knowledge. Some of the roles that you will have as a volunteer are:
- Caring for, watering and monitoring the greenhouse plants
- Caring for the animals
- Participating in the maintenance of the cultivation plots
- Organizing informative workshops on the environment, good environmental practices, ecological issues, biodiversity … for children and families
- Supply the food necessary for growth of plants and animals
- Botanical gardens and hydroponics
The aim of the botanical garden, it’s preserve plants for protection and study of the healing properties. In addition to promoting and disseminating plant knowledge to children, youth and families in the community.
- Raising space for animals (Cuys) Raising
Animals in low-income families in Cusco, Peru is common, as it is a way of marketing and generating an income for their families. It works with a group of mothers, promoting economic empowerment and autonomy.
- Zones for Compos (natural fertilizer) and Aquaponics Technified
Agriculture is worked, in addition to promoting ecology. In addition to applying aquaponics, where plants benefit from nutrients and fish manure, on the other hand, fish benefit from water purification.
Agriculture is also carried out in PBC tubes. Tropical fruits are grown and space and food are used to the maximum. This promotes food with organic and clean food.
- Spaces for the use of renewable energy. Also used for awareness-raising workshops held with the community.
The purpose of this space is to develop activities that can help improve the quality of life of families, such as the construction of solar kitchens, thermal showers with recycled materials, hot walls for cold rooms, ecological bathrooms, energy wind.
Requirements for voluntary
Si have no knowledge in organic, farming or agriculture issues, you do not worry …
Do not need to have a college degree or be an expert in the field to participate in the volunteering Eco Village in Cusco, Peru .
- We only ask that you be a committed, dynamic, adaptable person who is fluent in the basic Spanish language.
- Commitment and involvement: It is essential that when you join the team you are motivated to carry out the activities until the end of your volunteering.
If at any time you want to suspend your participation, you can do it but you must take into account that volunteering implies commitment and responsibility. By signing up and then leaving, you are taking someone else’s chance.
- Adaptation and respect: It is important that you inform yourself about the local Peruvian culture before making your decision and coming to understand and respect the different customs. To join an international team, you will have to respect cultural diversity. Adaptation will be the key for you to fully enjoy your stay.
- Initiative: You have to be independent and decisive enough to take initiatives without having to tell you continually what to do. Obviously will we guide and advise you in your activities since we work as a team, but we will give you the space and the freedom to promote your own initiatives. You will see that in this way you will discover and learn much more.
What days and on what dates can I volunteer?
- The project is open all year.
- You must arrive on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
- Your first day on the project will be a Monday.
TIMETABLE AND PICK-UP POINT
- Must reach the Alejandro Velasco Astete (CUZ) International Airport, where you will be picked up by the driver or the project coordinator.
- Scheduled pickup times are from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (ask for additional costs in case of arrival at other times).
Where will I be and what will my schedule be during volunteering?
- The project is located around the Huaypo lagoon, located in the community Cruzpata, in the Chinchero district, about 30 minutes from the Maras district. It is 1.10 hours from Cusco.
- The project collaborates from Monday to Friday.
- Shift from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
What is the accommodation and meals like?
During your volunteering in the Eco Villages, you will stay in a country house with all the basic amenities:
- Electricity, heating, hot showers, equipped kitchen, equipped rooms.
- Bed in a shared room with other volunteers
- Use of common areas
The house is located a few minutes from food supply stores.
The contribution to the volunteering Eco Village in Cusco is divided into two parts. To make the registration of the program a deposit of 150€ must be paid. One (1) month before the beginning of your volunteer work you will have to pay the rest of the program.
Each additional week costs 120€. Contributions to the project are in euros, so the currency exchange will have a real effect. You can check the currency exchange during the period of your trip.
What are you paying for?
- Welcome at the airport and transfer to the accommodation.
- Accommodation during your volunteering.
- 24/7 support from the local and international Adventure Volunteer team.
- Monitoring and evaluation of the program
- Orientation and induction to the program
- Certificate of weeks carried out in your volunteering
- Accident Insurance during your volunteering
- Civil liability for your activity
- NGO receipt of your program fee
- Guide, advice and management in choosing the program
- Volunteer T-shirt
What It’s not included?
- Flight to the country
- Visa, if necessary
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Return to the airport on the last day
- Drinks, diets and special meals
- Travel within or outside the country
- Internal transportation (Transportation of the project to Cusco vice versa for those who want to travel)