VOLUNTEERING WITH WOMEN
Still in some parts of the world do not exist the same opportunities as men, for many women it can become a problem without solution. You find yourself in situations where a woman does not have the right to land or to obtain a passport without her partner’s permission, as well as not allowing them to go to school; Kenya does not escape this situation. Although primary education is free, women face many barriers such as; family, who think it is not necessary to go to school, economic situation, culture or because it is not allowed.
Adventure Volunteer with the support of local organizations, volunteers and through the volunteer program of empowerment of young mothers, seeks to create a space for all women in communities of limited resources and social exclusion, where they can express what they feel, think and expect from their future.
For this work to be successful we need to involve the entire community, volunteers and local staff of the organization in the creation of the programmed activities, which will allow us to learn more about the environment in which these women live.
WHAT WILL I DO AS A VOLUNTEER?
One of the ways we have found to address the problems of many women in Kenya is through awareness raising and education, through the Young Mothers Empowerment Volunteer Program.
In the trainings and talks, topics such as domestic violence, diseases and drugs are emphasized. They also develop activities such as
- Support in the sewing and embroidery workshops.
- Computer classes
- English and Mathematics Classes
As a volunteer, one of the most important things is to support these young mothers to increase their self-esteem and self-confidence, through the creation and organization of didactic and educational activities for them.
WHAT DAYS AND DATES CAN I VOLUNTEER?
- This project is open all year round.
- You can arrive any day of the week, we also recommend that you arrive on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday, as it facilitates the incorporation to the project.
TIMETABLE AND PICK-UP POINT
- You must arrive at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (where you will be picked up by your assigned logistics coordinator).
- The schedule for airport pick-ups is from 8:00 to 21:00 (ask for additional costs in case of arrival at other times).
WHERE WILL I BE AND WHAT WILL MY SCHEDULE BE DURING VOLUNTEERING?
The Young Mothers Empowerment Volunteer Program is located in Kahawa Soweto, 5-20 minutes walk from the host family homes.
Usually a volunteer day in the Young Mothers Empowerment Volunteer Program is:
- From 7:00 to 8:00 a.m. is breakfast with the family.
- Afterwards it is 15 minutes walking to where the project is developed. It is an opportunity to get to know the community.
- From 8:15 to 16 hours, taking a break for lunch (1 to 2 p.m.) you will be collaborating in the project.
- Weekends are free for rest or excursions.
HOW ARE THE LODGING AND MEALS?
Accommodation and meals for the volunteer are provided by the Kenyan host family. These allow the volunteers to get to know more directly the culture of the country and the people who live in these communities. No WIFI, is possible sim card.
The selected houses have:
- Room (for two or three volunteers depending on the house)
- A bathroom
The food is typical of the country. Usually at breakfast you have tea or coffee and fruit, cassava, sweet potato, pancakes or mandazi of rice with stew, spaghetti, ugali with cabbages or vegetables, githeri (combination of cornmeal and cooked beans) and Matoke (banana and chicken stew) dinner is similar to the main meal.
There may be temporary cuts in water and electricity supplies.
During your programme you will have a general coordinator, apart from project managers or centres. In the case of Kenya your coordinators will be Joshua and George.
Once you are part of the Adventure Volunteer team, they will induct you into the program and the tasks to be done.
The price of the volunteer empowerment programme in Kenya is divided into two parts. A deposit of 150€ must be paid to register for the program. One (1) month before the beginning of your volunteering, the rest of the program must be paid.
The prices of the program of voluntary empowerment of young mothers, are in euros, so the exchange of currencies will have real effect. You can consult the exchange rate for the period of your trip.
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING FOR?
- Welcome at the airport and transfer to the volunteer’s home
- Accommodation during your volunteering
- 3 meals a day during your volunteering period
- 24/7 support from the Adventure Volunteer team
- Monitoring and evaluation of the programme
- Orientation and induction to the program
- Certificate of hours done in your volunteering
- Accident insurance during your volunteering
- Civil liability for your activity
- Receipt from NGO about your program fee
- Guidance, advice and management in the choice of programme
- Volunteer T-Shirt
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- Flight to the country
- Visa, (about 50$)
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Internal transportation or excursions
- Return to the airport on the last day
- Drinks, diets and special meals
- Trips inside or outside the country