VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS IN HOSPITALS
Are you a medical student or an expert in any specialty within the medical field? If so, we encourage you to put your knowledge and skills into practice in the project of volunteering in hospitals and community health activities that are carried out in the communities of Cusco.
Not only will it reinforce the diagnostic knowledge you have, but you will also have the opportunity to see the methodologies applied to treatments for different conditions or diseases. This will allow you to have another perspective of health practices in developing countries.
- To build the health and wellness in the developing communities of Cusco, Peru.
WHAT WILL I DO AS A VOLUNTEER?
The medical or hospital volunteer project doesn’t limit you to only medical centers, you can also gain experience from the check-ups and follow-ups that are done within the Andean communities of Cusco (which are always performed under the supervision of a professional or project coordinator). Some of the roles in which the volunteer participates are:
- Accompany and assist in the tasks of a professional in your specialty
- Provide basic medical care
- Participate in the planning and organization of medical campaigns
- Informative workshops on transmittable diseases, nutrition, and contraceptives
- Perform examinations for the diagnosis of infectious diseases (oral hygiene, cancer screening, blood pressure, glucose control)
THERE ARE TWO WORKS AREAS AVAILABLE:
Schools: Where we carry out disease prevention activities, vaccinations, home visits and prevention workshops for children and parents
Some of the workshops that are developed range from nutrition, disease prevention, hygiene workshops and medical campaigns.
Community Health: Here you would work in hospitals or medical centers. Volunteers can be found working in areas involving:
- General Medicine
- Student or professional within the medical field
- Be at least 18 years old for volunteer work
- Be at least 21 years old for internships
- Have an intermediate level of Spanish
- 4 week minimum availability to participate
- Present your project and answer the following questions:
- What is your specialty or the one you plan on choosing?
- In which area do you wish to volunteer or intern?
- In which service do you prefer? Bearing in mind that it can be in a hospital or in a community health center.
WHEN CAN I VOLUNTEER?
- The project is open all year round, except from December 23rd to January 3rd
- You must arrive on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday
- Your first day will be on a Monday
SCHEDULE AND PICK-UP POINT
- You must arrive at the Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport (CUZ), where you will be picked up by the taxi driver or project coordinator.
- Scheduled pick-ups are from 8:00am to 9:00pm. (ask for additional costs in case of arrival at other times).
WHERE WILL I BE AND WHAT WILL MY SCHEDULE BE DURING VOLUNTEERING?
- The health center where volunteers collaborate is in Chocco. It is approximately 30 minutes from the center of Cusco (15 minutes by bus, 10-15 minutes by foot). Cost of the bus: 1 sol (0.25 euros or 0.27 USD)
- The hospital of solidarity is in the center of Cusco
- Shifts are from 8:00am to 1:00pm
HOW ARE THE LODGING AND MEALS?
During your volunteer program you will reside in a house with other volunteers in the center of Cusco. The volunteer housing includes:
- Bed in a shared room
- Use of the common areas
- Laundry (Hand-wash)
- Hot water
- Fully equipped kitchen
The contribution to the hospital volunteer project is divided into two parts. To register for the program, a deposit of 150€ must be paid. One (1) month prior to starting your volunteer program, the rest of the program must be paid.
The project has an additional contribution of $50 per person that the volunteer will give upon arrival.
For each additional week a contribution of 120€ must be made. The contributions to the project are in euros, so the exchange rate will have a real significance. You can check the currency exchange rate for the time period of your volunteer program.
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING FOR?
- Welcome at the airport and transfer to the volunteer’s home
- Accommodation during your volunteering
- Breakfast in your volunteering
- 24/7 support from the local and international Adventure Volunteer team
- Monitoring and evaluation of the program
- Orientation and induction to the program
- Certificate of weeks completed in your volunteering
- Accident insurance during your volunteering
- Civil liability for your activity
- Receipt from NGO about your program fee
- Guidance, advice and management in the choice of programme
- Volunteer T-Shirt
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- Flight to the country
- Visa, if necessary
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Visa, if necessary
- Return to the airport on the last day
- Drinks, diets and special meals
- Trips inside or outside the country