VOLUNTEERING WITH CHILDREN IN CARTAGENA DE INDIAS
In order to bring about a radical change in the living conditions of vulnerable populations, early childhood education is essential. All children’s experiences at this stage influence their growth, learning and behaviour. For this reason, the School Reinforcement Volunteer Project has been created in Colombia.
The main needs identified by the organization revolve around the socio-educational care of children and young people. With the creation of social projects and international and local volunteer programmes, it has been possible to identify that many children and young people have been motivated and shown interest in wanting to study and attend school. It can be said that these children need constant support in order to adapt and reach basic educational levels.
- To improve the school environment for children and young people in the neighbourhoods in which we collaborate.
- To facilitate the situation of children and young people in their social and family environment.
- To ensure that our children achieve greater self-esteem and motivation.
WHAT WILL I DO AS A VOLUNTEER?
The need to work with children and strengthen adults, has made the organization require the support of volunteers in the volunteer school reinforcement program in Colombia, Cartagena. Where there are leisure activities and free time that favor the:
- Socio-educational integration
- Equal treatment
- Respect for diversity
For all these reasons, the school reinforcement volunteer program in Colombia aims to improve the quality of life of these people in situations of social disadvantage with your support as a volunteer.
WHO IS THE PROJECT AIMED AT?
The volunteer project is mainly aimed at children and young people. The part that corresponds to teaching to the older adults is to work their integration to a society that every day leaves them to one side. It should be borne in mind that many of the children and young people with whom we work have learning difficulties in almost all areas, so we focus mainly on mathematics, language, art and science.
- Recreational and leisure activities. We hope to develop artistic workshops, sports activities and didactic games. These activities offer children and adults an exchange of coexistence and integration.
- Educational reinforcement for children, young people and older adults.
- Establish emotional empathy with the child.
- Support in the preparation of classes.
Regularly the activities carried out by the volunteers are supervised at all times by the coordinator assigned to the project. On the other hand the volunteer can expose ideas and initiatives that he has.
You are not required to be an expert or have a specialty in the field of education. Only with the desire to help are you more than welcome.
It is very important to adapt and respect the culture and customs. Therefore, the clothing required during working hours in the program should be:
- Jeans or loose-fitting pants
- T-shirts other than strapless
- Closed shoes or sneakers
WHAT DAYS AND DATES CAN I VOLUNTEER?
- The project is open all year round (except national holidays and holidays from December to mid-January).
- The arrival days are Fridays, Saturdays or Sundays, so that your incorporation to the project is better.
TIMETABLE AND PICK-UP POINT
- You must arrive at Rafael Núñez International Airport (CTG), where you will be picked up by the taxi driver or coordinator of the organization.
- Pick up time is from 8:00 to 21:00 (ask for additional costs in case of arrival at other times).
WHERE WILL I BE AND WHAT WILL MY SCHEDULE BE DURING VOLUNTEERING?
- We work from Monday to Friday from 8:00 to 12:30 noon. We work with children from 6 months to 5 years old. The centre is attended by young people aged between 16 and 19. For this reason your Spanish level must be intermediate, the children only speak Spanish.
On the other hand, the location of the volunteer projects school reinforcement in Cartagena Colombia, are located in neighborhoods outside the walled city, in this case in the Barrio de Ricaurte, Cartagena. As a result the logistics of transportation to attend the center is organized by the organization. It will communicate the taxi pick-up times to the project on the day of the induction to the project and the country.
HOW IS THE ACCOMMODATION AND MEALS IN CARTAGENA?
All volunteers stay in a hostel selected by the organization. They are regularly located in safe areas and close to the walled city.
The accommodation includes you:
- Bed, in a shared room
- Breakfast during your volunteering
- Use of common areas
- WIFI (internet)
The price of the School Volunteer Reinforcement Program in Colombia is divided into two parts. In order to register for the program, a deposit of 150€ must be paid. One (1) month before the beginning of your volunteering, the rest of the program must be paid.
Each additional week has a price of 180€. The prices of the volunteer school reinforcement program in Cartagena are in euros, so the currency exchange will have a real effect. You can check the exchange rate for the period of your trip.
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING FOR?
- Welcome at the airport and transfer to your accommodation
- Accommodation in a hostel during your volunteering period
- 1 Breakfast per day during your stay
- 24/7 support from the Adventure Volunteer team
- Monitoring and evaluation of the programme
- Orientation and induction to the program
- Certificate of weeks completed in your volunteering
- Accident insurance during your volunteering
- Civil liability for your activity
- Receipt from NGO about your program fee
- Guidance, advice and management in the choice of programme
- Volunteer T-Shirt
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- Flight to Cartagena
- Visa, if necessary
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Vaccines, if necessary
- Internal transportation or excursions
- Return to the airport on the last day
- Drinks, diets and special meals
- Trips inside or outside the country