VOLUNTEERING WITH FAMILIES IN CARTAGENA
Basically, the income of the families we work with in Cartagena Colombia is $100.00 per month on average, which comes mainly from informal work. Through different social projects and with the support of local foundations, this trend has been changing. But one of the challenges encountered along the way is the level of preparation of the population, which in general is very low. This makes it difficult to find work in the city of Cartagena Colombia, which is currently demanding a skilled labor force.
In order to solve this problem, we have sought to provide the community with training in specific trades, technical and technological careers, with the support of local institutions and organizations, in addition to the support we receive from all the volunteers during the course of the year.
- To commercialize organic products through the use of patios located in selected homes of low-income families in the most vulnerable neighborhoods of Cartagena Colombia.
WHAT WILL I DO AS A VOLUNTEER?
The volunteer project in productive yards in Colombia consists mainly of transforming the yards of the houses of families that were garbage collectors into green orchards. All volunteers usually participate in the following activities:
- Support in the family selection process.
- Adapt the courtyards for the construction of the orchard.
- Carry out talks and workshops on agricultural topics and the agronomic management of what is expected to be planted.
- Support in the construction of productive yards.
- Help in the delivery of inputs.
- Participate in the sowing, harvesting and collection of products.
- Follow-up of the families.
- Help in workshops on cooking, nutrition and good eating habits.
- Recycling and waste use workshops.
FOR WHOM IS THE PROGRAMME AIMED?
The project is aimed at low-income families and vulnerable neighborhoods in Cartagena Colombia. It also focuses on 3 areas:
- Food security
- Generate revenue
- Recovery of the environment
- The project seeks to alleviate some of the basic needs of these families, such as food. It is also expected that through the work of their patios, they will generate an income and be able to save.
WHAT HAS BEEN ACHIEVED
- Build 900 productive yards to date. These spaces were 12,029 square meters of garbage dumps converted into productive orchards.
- Approximately 3,600 people benefited from the project.
- Increase in the income of approximately 60 vegetable farming families.
- Training of 1,000 people in Urban Agriculture.
- Commercialization of 3 tons of food per year, as well as the cultivation of products for the food security of the beneficiaries.
PRODUCTS THAT THEY CULTIVATE
- Basil Genovese, Red
- Red Mizuna
WHAT DAYS AND DATES CAN I VOLUNTEER?
- The project is open all year round (except national holidays and holidays from December to mid-January).
- The arrival days are Fridays, Saturdays or Sundays, so that your incorporation to the project is better.
TIMETABLE AND PICK-UP POINT
- You must arrive at Rafael Núñez International Airport (CTG), where you will be picked up by the taxi driver or coordinator of the organization.
- Pick up time is from 8:00 to 21:00 (ask for additional costs in case of arrival at other times).
HOW IS THE ACCOMMODATION AND MEALS IN CARTAGENA?
All volunteers stay in a hostel selected by the organization. They are regularly located in safe areas and close to the walled city.
The accommodation includes you:
- Bed, in a shared room
- Breakfast during your volunteering
- Use of common areas
- WIFI (internet)
The price of the volunteer program for productive yards in Colombia is divided into two parts. In order to register for the program, a deposit of 150€ must be paid. One (1) month before the beginning of your volunteering, the rest of the program must be paid.
Each additional week has a price of 180€. The prices of the volunteer program in productive yards in Colombia are in euros, so the currency exchange will have a real effect. You can check the exchange rate for the period of your trip.
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING?
- Welcome at the airport and transfer to your accommodation
- Accommodation in a hostel during your volunteering period
- 1 Breakfast a day during your stay
- 24/7 support from the Adventure Volunteer team
- Monitoring and evaluation of the programme
- Orientation and induction to the program
- Certificate of weeks completed in your volunteering
- Accident insurance during your volunteering
- Civil liability for your activity
- Receipt from NGO about your program fee
- Guidance, advice and management in the choice of programme
- Volunteer T-Shirt
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- Flight to Cartagena
- Visa, if necessary
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Vaccines, if necessary
- Internal transportation or excursions
- Return to the airport on the last day
- Drinks, diets and special meals
- Trips inside or outside the country