There are countries where the majority of its population lives below the poverty line and children are the most disadvantaged. Uganda is no exception. Many Ugandan families are forced to abandon their children to seek better job opportunities and thus provide a quality of life for their children. However, access to education is complicated for poor children. As you know in Uganda there are many centers that support many children. At the same time, staff and social workers are few.
The center where we work through the volunteer program in Uganda, seeks to provide children with adequate care, food, education and clothing. Also from the orphanage, the active search for adoptive parents is worked on and thus give children a family.
The contribution and help of volunteers is focused on children but also on local staff. Basically the volunteer provides support in the daily tasks of the orphanage and in the care and care of children. Daily the local staff performs specific tasks of maintaining the place. In the same way they organize the preparation of food, which takes a lot of time and subtracts the time of care and attention towards children.
It is here that your dedication and help is important for every child. The activities to be carried out must be organized every day As math classes, English, basic subjects, educational games. You must also keep track of each child you work with. Many of these children may not attend a school. So that in this space and place we try to transmit tools that will help them move forward in the future.
WHAT WILL I DO AS A VOLUNTEER?
Being part of the volunteer program in Uganda implies a high degree of responsibility, attention and dedication. The day-to-day volunteer participates and collaborates in the following Activities:
- Attention and dedication to children.
- Support the maintenance of the orphanage as: in the preparation of food, cleaning and organization of the spaces of the place.
- Organize and teach math, English and other basic subjects.
- Play didactic and educational games with the children.
- Participation in the spaces of singing, dancing, storytelling and painting.
The center currently houses 40 children. The staff available to take care of them are 3 adults. In addition, there is the support of volunteers, who are fully trusted, as they help the operation of the center and the development of children’s skills and knowledge.
WHAT DAYS AND WHAT DATES CAN I DO THE VOLUNTEER?
- Volunteers must arrive in Uganda on a Friday according to the scheduled arrival dates (see dates below)
SCHEDULE AND COLLECTION POINT
- You must arrive at Entebbe International Airport (EBB) (if you wish to arrive any other day, you must arrive on your own to the project or pay an additional price)
WHERE WILL I BE AND WHAT WILL MY SCHEDULE BE DURING THE VOLUNTEER?
- The volunteer program in Uganda is located in Fort Portal. The work schedule starts at 8:00 am where you support a minimum of 4 hours a day from Monday to Friday.
The programming of the tasks will be provided on the day of the induction of the program and the place. In any case, if you can bring material and ideas of activities for classes, you are welcome.
HOW IS ACCOMMODATION AND MEALS?
- The house where you will stay has rooms that you will share with other volunteers (approx. 4 volunteers per room). The bed linen will be changed weekly by the caregiver. All beds have mosquito nets. You have wifi, which you have access in the house.
- The house has electricity and drinking water. (It is also recommended that the volunteer buy bottled water for drinking).
- At the volunteer’s house they will provide you with daily meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
Volunteers who require or have a different need for food (vegetarians, intolerant of a particular food) should indicate this in advance. We also highlight that it is a volunteer program in a different country and that the food there is not going to be the same as we normally eat at home.
The price of the volunteer and care volunteer program in Uganda is divided into two parts. To register for the program, a €150 signal must be paid. Up to 1 month before the start of the program, the rest of the program can be paid.
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING?
- Welcome at the airport and transfer to the volunteer’s house
- Accommodation during your volunteering
- 3 meals during the realization of your volunteer program
- Support 24/7 of the Adventure Volunteer team
- Monitoring and evaluation of the program
- Orientation and induction to the program
- Certificate of hours spent in your volunteering
- Accident Insurance during your volunteering
- Civil liability for your activity
- I receive an NGO about your program fee
- Guidance, advice and management in choosing the program
- Volunteer T-shirt
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED?
- Flight to the country
- Visa, if necessary
- Vaccine if necessary
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Internal transport and excursions
- Return to the airport on the last day
- Drinks, diets or special meals
- Trips inside or outside the Country