In countries where the majority of its population lives below the poverty line, children are the most affected and Uganda is not the exception. Many Ugandan families are forced to separate from their children in order to find better jobs and provide them with better opportunities. However, many of these children end up in the streets or abandoned. Furthermore, access to education is difficult for these poor children.
As you might know,many orphanages support children in Uganda. However, staff and social workers are few. The orphanage where we work seeks to provide children with proper care, food, education and clothing. In addition, from the orphanage we work in the active search for adoptive parents and thus provide the children a family.
The contribution and help of volunteers is not only focused on the children but also on the local staff. The volunteer provides support in the daily tasks of the orphanage, care and attention of the children. On a daily basis, the local personnel perform specific tasks for the maintenance of the place. In the same way, they organize the preparation of food, which takes a lot of time and subtracts the time of care and attention to the children.
This is where your dedication and help is important for each child. Each day the activities to carry out must be organized. This activities include, math classes, English, basic subjects and didactic games. In addition, you must keep track of each child you work with. Many of these children may not attend a school, therefore, at this space and place we try to transmit tools that help them to move forward in the future.
ACTIVITIES TO BE CARRIED OUT – VOLUNTEERING PROGRAM AT AN ORPHANAGE
Being part of the volunteer program in the orphanage in Uganda involves a lot of responsibility, attention and dedication. The volunteer in the day to day will carry out the following activities:
- Attention and dedication to children.
- Support in the maintenance of the orphanage, for instance: preparation of food, cleaning and organization of the spaces at the orphanag.
- Organize and give classes in mathematics, English and other basic subjects.
- Make didactic and educational games with children.
- Participation in the activities of singing, dancing, storytelling and painting.
The orphanage currently houses 40 children. The staff available to take care of them are three adults; with additional support of volunteers. The current staff is fully trusted, as they help the operation of the orphanage and the development of the skills and knowledge of children.
SCHEDULE AND WORK PLACE
The volunteer program at the Uganda orphanage is located in Kampala. Support you at least 4 hours a day, starting the workday at 8:00 a. m.
The programming of the tasks are provided when you arrive at day of induction of the program. However, if you can bring material and ideas for activities or classes, they will be welcomed. The program runs throughout the year.
ACCOMMODATION AND MEALS
Volunteers are accommodated at the volunteer’s house. It has rooms that you will share with other volunteers of the same gender (approximately 4 volunteers per room). The change of bed linen will be done weekly. All beds have mosquito nets and you will have access to Wi-Fi.
The house has electricity and potable water. (We recommend the volunteer to buy bottled water to drink).
At the volunteer’s house, volunteers will be provided with daily meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
- Breakfast may include bread, butter, jam, honey, hard-boiled eggs and fruits such as: watermelon, pineapple and bananas.
- Lunch may include rice with peanut, pasta with meat, guacamole beans and traditional vegetables from Uganda.
- Dinner may include mashed potatoes with different sauces (a mixture between banana and potato), rice or different types of pasta. Dinner is served between 7:00 p.m and 8:00 p.m at night.
Volunteers who require or have a different need for food (vegetarians, intolerance to a particular food) should indicate this in advance. We also emphasize that it is a volunteer program in a different country; therefore, food will not be the same as the volunteer’s home country.
COST OF THE PROGRAM
The cost of the program is divided into two parts. To register for the program, you must pay the cost of € 150 ($ 180) *. The payment must be done up to 1 month before the start of the program.
The volunteer program has a cost of €590 ($730) for the first two weeks. For each additional week, it costs €130 ($160). (Prices are in Euro) To convert your local currency you can use the currency converter.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE PROGRAM?
- Pick up from the airport and transportation to the accommodation house.
- Accommodation in the volunteer’s house
- Three (3) meals during the duration of your program
- Orientation day in the project area
- 24/7 support from the Adventure Volunteer team
- Meeting of monitoring and evaluation of the program
- Induction to the program
- Volunteer certificate at the end of the program if required
- Transportation from the volunteer’s house to the orphanage.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE PROGRAM?
- Flight to Uganda
- Visa, if necessary
- Health insurance
- Return to the airport on the last day
- Drinks or special meals
- Trips in or outside the country