The main objective of the volunteer program with mothers from indigenous communities is to provide women with work skills and empower them, so that they can access job opportunities and enrich their lives on a personal level. They will also be able to take part in the recording of audiobooks in their language (Guna and Spanish), which are distributed in their communities to people with visual, intellectual, and motor disabilities; and to the elderly, throughout the country.
Many of these women live in communities that are vulnerable and socially at-risk. Supporting these women in creating an environment conducive to change, sustainable human growth and social sensitivity, results in work of inclusion through different workshops and the recording of audiobooks.
YOUR ROLE AS A VOLUNTEER
- Support in job training workshops. Basic management workshops are held in computer programs (word, excel, power point), crafts, baking and hydroponics.
- Help in the workshop on design and confection of puppets. We work on training women of the community to master necessary crafts for creating napkin holders.
- Cooking workshop to prepare the traditional dishes of the region where they come from.
- Help with organizing community activities where support is needed to assess progress and interaction.
The project is open all year round, except for national holidays such as:
- National holidays (from 1 to 6 November) and November 28
- December 8, Mother’s day
- January 9, Day of the martyrs
- Carnivals, you should ask what days and month (usually between February and March)
- School absenteeism or improvised closures are part of the culture of Panama
You can arrive any day of the week, but we recommend arriving on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday, as it makes your airport pick-up and incorporation into the project easier.
The scheduled time for pick-ups at the airport is from 9:00 am to 8:00 pm (ask for additional costs in case of arrival at other times).
SCHEDULE AND PLACE OF WORK
The activities and workshops of the volunteer program with mothers from indigenous communities are carried out from Tuesday to Friday, from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm.
The volunteer house is approximately 20 minutes away from the project. Internal transportation in Veracruz is regular and easily accessible.
ACCOMMODATION AND MEALS
The house has a kitchen, a living room, a security checkpoint and a swimming pool. It’s located by the sea and also has a terrace, a washing area (to wash by hand), a barbecue and a garden.
You will sleep on bunk beds and share rooms with other volunteers. The bathroom is shared with all those who stay at the volunteer house.
Accommodation includes 3 daily meals: continental breakfast, lunch and dinner (Creole homemade food).
During your program you will have a general coordinator, apart from project and center directors. In the case of the volunteer program with children of indigenous communities in Veracruz, your main coordinator will be Natividad.
Once you are part of the Adventure Volunteer team, Natividad will give you an induction to the program and the activities in which you will participate.
The cost of the volunteer program with mothers from indigenous communities in Panama or the volunteering in Panama is divided into two parts. In order to register in the program, a deposit of €150 must be paid. One month before the start of the program, the rest of the program is paid.
Each additional week costs €170. The prices of the program are in euros, so the currency exchange will be affected. You can consult the currency exchange rate in the period of your trip.
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING FOR?
- Airport pick-up
- Accommodation in the volunteer house
- Three meals a day during your volunteering
- 24/7 assistance from the Adventure Volunteer team
- Program monitoring and evaluation
- Orientation and induction on the program
- Volunteering Certificate
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED?
- Flight to the country
- Visa, if necessary
- Travel insurance
- Internal transportation
- Return to the airport on the last day
- Extra meals and drinks
- Travels in or out the country