VOLUNTEERING IN ANIMAL CARE
The animal shelter in Panama is a space for animals that have gone through situations of animal trafficking, are orphaned by human actions or are in danger of extinction.
In addition, the wildlife refuge has several types of trees of great medicinal, ornamental or food value. Some are brought from other countries and have more than 100 years of existence. In addition to the native plants of Panama that are in danger of extinction.
The center can be described as a botanical garden, wildlife refuge and a place for families, friends or animal lovers who seek to meet and help the animals in addition to caring for their habitat.
- To generate interest in the proper care of animals, the protection of their habitat and environmental education in our children, youth and communities.
SOME ANIMALS OF THE CENTER
- Harpy Eagle
- Great White Egret
- Coati Mundi
- Red Fox
- White-tailed Deer
- Black Cat
- White-faced Capuchin
- Spider Monkey
- Night Monkey
- Howler Monkey
- American Crocodile
WHAT WILL I DO AS A VOLUNTEER?
The activities in the Park are distributed in four areas: environmental education, fauna, flora and maintenance. In each of them the volunteer has a participation according to their skills and knowledge.
Where you do work like:
- Visitor management
- Educational talks in schools or public centres
- Recycling workshops
- Didactic Activities
AREA OF FAUNA
In this part they attend to the animals and prepare food for them. Some of the activities that are carried out are:
- Preparation of food for all animals
- Distribution of food to all animals
- Cleaning of enclosures
- Support at the Veterinary Clinic (here volunteers assist the person assigned to the clinic)
AREA OF FLORA
Complementary activities of great importance for the functioning of the Park are carried out:
- Planting of trees (Preparation of substrate)
- Repique of Species of germinators to bags
- Pest Identification
- Identification of plant species
- General watering of the park
- Sanitary pruning
This space is subdivided into two areas that are:
- Collecting inorganic waste
- Scrubbing of garbage tanks
- Cleaning of concrete poles
- Cleaning of ditches
- Cleaning of trails (Bamboo and Wild Cashew)
- Collecting organic garbage and depositing it in the main garbage tank
- Eliminating invasive plants
- Collecting leaves and placing them at the base of the trees
- Cleaning of paths and trails
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS TO BE A VOLUNTEER?
- We are looking for volunteers who want to be fully involved in the work and support of the environment and animals.
- Whether you are a veterinarian, veterinary student or any other specialty, the important thing is that you are interested in learning.
- You must be of legal age.
We hope that apart from getting to know the country, you will be able to gain experience in the area of animal care, develop your skills and techniques at a professional level and make a significant contribution to both you and the animals.
WHAT DAYS AND DATES CAN I VOLUNTEER?
- The animal conservation project is open all year round from Monday to Sunday, except for Easter.
- You must arrive on Friday, Saturday or Sunday, as it facilitates incorporation into the project and there is less traffic.
The schedule for airport pick-ups is from 7:00 to 21:30.
TIMETABLE AND PICK-UP POINT
- The pick-up point is Tocumen International Airport (PTY).
- Pick up time is from 8:00 to 21:00 hours. If the volunteer arrives outside these hours, he or she must pay an extra 30€.
WHERE WILL I BE AND WHAT WILL MY SCHEDULE BE DURING VOLUNTEERING?
- You will be in the animal center, a space dedicated to animals, which is outside the city, in the village of Ancon, approximately 18 km away.
- It has about 250 hectares of total area, of which 55 hectares are made up of the botanical garden.
Volunteers work Monday through Friday from 7:00 to 15:00 hours. Volunteers have free weekends to get to know a little more about the country. If you require a day of the week, you must notify the coordinator in time to organize your departure that day.
COORDINATION IN THE ANIMAL CENTRE
During your volunteering you will have the supervision of a coordinator, in this case Ilse, who from the first day will guide you on the activities and assigned area.
HOW ARE THE LODGING AND MEALS?
- Volunteers stay at the hostel located in the center of Panama City.
- Breakfast is included and there are common areas such as:
- Bed in shared room
- Kitchen (where you can prepare lunch and dinner).
- Common bathrooms
- Hand wash area or low cost.
- Star room
WHAT ARE THE RULES OF THE SHELTER FOR LIVING WITH ANIMALS?
- Smoking and consuming alcoholic beverages in and around the park is prohibited.
- It is not allowed to enter a person who does not belong to the program or to the Center.
- Respect the collaboration schedule with punctuality and commitment.
- Respect the supervisors of the Park.
- Have a good communication with the supervisors for any emergency that arises.
WHAT CAN I BRING IN MY VOLUNTEER SUITCASE?
The clothing that is requested from the volunteer for the activities in the center is as follows:
- Long pants
- T-shirts (not strapless)
- Shoes or slippers (not sandals) Volunteer identification card (will be provided and must be visible)
- Mosquito repellent
The cost of the animal shelter support volunteer program in Panama is divided into two parts. In order to register for the program, a deposit of 150€ must be paid. One (1) month before the beginning of the program, the final payment of the program must be made.
Each additional week costs €170. The prices of the program are in euros, so the currency exchange will be affected. You can consult the currency exchange rate in the period of your trip.
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING FOR?
- Airport pick-up
- 3 daily meals during your volunteering
- Induction and orientation on the program and location
- 24/7 assistance from the Adventure Volunteer team
- Monitoring and evaluation of the program
- Donation to the program
- Volunteering Certificate
- Accident insurance during your volunteering
- Civil liability insurance for your activity
- Guidance and advice on the choice of the program
- Volunteering t-shirt
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE PROGRAM COST?
- Flight to the country
- Visa, if necessary
- Travel insurance
- Internal transportation
- Return to the airport on the last day
- Extra meals and drinks
- Travels in or out the country