VOLUNTEERING WITH WOMEN IN GRANADA
The volunteer program empowerment of women in Nicaragua aims to work for the welfare and development of women in the most vulnerable communities of Nicaragua. Through the guidance and acquisition of tools that strengthen the importance of the role of women individually and collectively.
It also works on teaching in a more personalized way, where they are helped to develop their skills and strengthen their knowledge.
In general, many women who are beneficiaries of the women’s empowerment volunteer program in Nicaragua come from high risk places, have a low level of education or none at all. The program looks for a way to improve and expand their knowledge and skills. Only by the detail of sharing a moment, the dedication, affection and time you share with them, do you enrich their day.
WHAT WILL I DO AS A VOLUNTEER?
En el programa de voluntariado con las madres y jóvenes se realizan actividades como:
- Carrying out of teaching and training workshops. Reading activities, classes in English, Spanish, mathematics and other more specific subjects are developed.
- Organize workshops on job opportunities and business development. It promotes knowledge of new technologies, guidelines for making a Curriculum Vitae (resume), tools for job search, how to start a business among others.
- Talks on Gender Equality. We work with participants on respect for women, women’s rights, family planning, sexual prevention (sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancies) among others.
- Cultural exchange workshops. The different customs of the members of the program are known, exchanging culinary practices, beauty and customs and ideas of the participants.
- Know the use of tools such as computers, writing, creating an email, surfing the Internet and using Office applications.
These activities give women the opportunity to open their minds, with the purpose of showing them the opportunities they have to improve and achieve their dreams.
The purpose of the workshops is to create a pleasant and dynamic environment, to raise women’s awareness of the importance of being academically trained and the job opportunities they offer, and to encourage them to continue to face the difficulties they have with respect to the academic level that exists among women.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS TO BECOME A VOLUNTEER?
- To be of legal age
- Person to be committed and participative for a better development of the activities of the program.
- It is not necessary to have a university degree or related careers to carry out this program, with your general knowledge and skills you can support many women, although it is advisable to have experience in social work.
The volunteer will participate in different workshops described in the volunteer program women’s empowerment in Nicaragua and can perform according to the skills they have, in the same way know and can help women and young people of various ages, with different levels of knowledge, in some cases women who for the first time are joining a study group, so it will require support, patience, interest and enthusiasm.
WHAT DAYS AND DATES CAN I VOLUNTEER?
The project is open all year round, except on the following dates:
- From 15 to 02 January for children’s holidays.
- May 1st
- October 03 and 04, as it is a holiday in the community
- For the 14th and 15th of September, for national holidays.
- Easter, this varies every year
TIMETABLE AND PICK-UP POINT
- The pick-up point is Augusto C. Sandino International Airport.
- Pick-ups are scheduled from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
WHERE WILL I BE AND WHAT WILL MY SCHEDULE BE DURING VOLUNTEERING?
We have two shifts Monday through Friday as part of the school reinforcement volunteer program for children in Nicaragua.
- In the mornings it would be from 10:00 to 12:00 p.m. and the afternoon shift from 13:00 to 17:00 hours.
WHAT ARE THE LODGING AND MEALS LIKE?
You stay at the volunteer’s house, which is located in the centre of Granada. You will sleep in a room with private bathroom and you will have the common areas at your disposal.
- Accommodation includes the 3 daily meals provided in the volunteer’s home.
On the day of your orientation you will be explained together with the coordinator of the program the timetables of the meals.
The price of the women’s empowerment volunteer program in Nicaragua is divided into two parts. In order to register for the program, a deposit of 150€ must be paid. One month before the beginning of the program, the rest of the program must be paid.
Each additional week has a price of 150€. The currency exchange will have real effect, check the currency exchange in the period of your trip.
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING FOR?
- Welcome at the airport and transfer to the volunteer’s home
- Accommodation during your volunteering
- 3 meals during the course of your volunteer program
- 24/7 support from the Adventure Volunteer team
- Monitoring and evaluation of the programme
- Orientation and induction to the program
- Certificate of weeks completed in your volunteering
- Accident insurance during your volunteering
- Civil liability for your activity
- Receipt from NGO about your program fee
- Guidance, advice and management in the choice of programme
- Volunteer T-Shirt
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- Flight to the country
- Visa, if necessary
- Travel Insurance
- Vaccines, if required
- Internal transports and excursions
- Return to the airport on the last day
- Drinks, diets, special meals
- Trips inside or outside the country