We know that volunteering locally, in our neighborhood, on our street or in our city is cheap, but what about volunteering internationally?
How much do I have to pay to volunteer cheaply?
In this article, I am going to give you a few tips to be able to look for organizations and be a volunteer for a good price.
If you have not read or heard the article on why pay to be an international volunteer, I recommend that you read or listen to it before because it will give you different advantages before going out on your own.
HAVE YOU EVER HEARD THE PHRASE “CHEAPER ISN’T ALWAYS LESS EXPENSIVE’’
Going with an organization does not necessarily mean that they are going to charge you a considerable fee or an absurd amount.
Also, avoid other platforms that advertise as ‘’free volunteering’’, and when you access them thinking that you only pay for the flight, not only is there a lack of security in the area, but they also ask you for more than the original amount requested for meals and accommodation.
As a professional in the sector, I will always recommend that when volunteering 2, 3, 4.. weeks, you go under the framework of an organization and only pay an appropriate amount.
HOW TO DETERMINE WHETHER A VOLUNTEER ORGANISATION IS GOOD VALUE
These are the points that you should pay attention to in an organization in order to know that what you are paying is fair and necessary:
- Deductible contributions in the income statement.
- Training course in order to prepare for your placement.
- Accident and Civil Liability Insurance.
- Advice, before, during, and after participation.
- International cooperation agreements with local NGO’s.
- Trajectory of the NGO and to see that it carries out its own projects.
- That they offer you a welcome at the airport and a good orientation of the area.
- The organization displays video testimonials from actual participants as opposed to written statements.
- Transparency portal where you can see who you are contributing your money to.
- That they DO NOT charge you when there are changes in the project and dates.
- That they collaborate with universities and other reputable organizations.
If the organization has all these qualities be sure to factor in that you are paying an additional appropriate amount for food and accommodation.
GET TO KNOW OUR VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS
Once you are clear about the destination, you will only have the preparation, although for this you will have the organization that at all times will be guiding and advising you throughout the process.
To prepare for volunteering in 2021 you have to take into account the following:
- Before anything else seek out flights with flexibility in booking changes.
- Prepare vaccinations, visas, and passport renewals.
- Take into account the type of clothing and footwear for the project.
- Ask the NGO about the communication and safety of the destination.
- Learn more about the project and prepare for its impact to be very positive.
However first of all, congratulations for just having the thought to volunteer, it is a very brave and enriching choice, whilst you are going to get to know other places and other cultures, your help will be essential to keep the project alive where you have decided to help.