VOLUNTEERING IN COLOMBIA
Colombia, fourth largest country in South America. Privileged by its location, between the Amazon rainforest, the Pacific and Atlantic oceans, in addition to border with another interesting country to know as Panama.
Its biodiversity and great climatic variety make it a natural paradise for Volunteers. We can not fail to mention its various regions that make it more impressive and beautiful. Here are some of them:
- The Andean Region, one of the centers of the coffee triangle.
- Amazon Region, which in each of its corners is home to an extensive diversity of vegetation and fauna.
- Cartagena, Santa Marta and Barranquilla, are home to beautiful beaches and valleys of the rivers Magdalena and Cesar, where you find spectacular and unique landscapes.
There are many things and details that differentiate each region. Even in the same place you find very different cultures and customs, which makes Colombia an authentic place.
With so much beauty, we also find difficulties and poverty. In Colombia we see in its towns and coastal cities high rates of poverty and low quality of life. The lack of basic services such as health, drinking water and electricity are scarce. Not to mention the violence that has hit many Colombian people. Causing the majority of their populations to displace themselves, family members who will not return and, in the end, many situations that are difficult to forget.
We invite you to be part of this trip, through an international volunteer in Colombia. Where you will have the opportunity to know, live and feel for yourself the Colombian people, you will only hear that sin, with taste, to order and a gift to me.
This is general information, you will have specific information of each project in its section, since according to the program, different conditions or concepts will be included or excluded, both arrival and cooperation timetables.
PROGRAMS IN CARTAGENA
You can participate all year round in the following volunteer programs in Cartagena Colombia:
- Productive Patios
- Culture and sport
Volunteer programs take place from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Each program has a schedule in the week.
*See specifications of times and dates of arrival in each program through its link.
All volunteers collaborating in the volunteer projects in Cartagena stay in hostel selected by the organization.
WHAT DOES HOSTEL ACCOMMODATION INCLUDE?
- Bed in a shared room with other volunteers.
- Breakfasts during your volunteering.
- Use of common areas.
- WIFI connection (internet).
- Low cost laundry.
If you want to join a volunteer program in Cartagena, no specific training is necessary in most cases, it is only required:
- Be of legal age.
- Availability for various jobs.
- To be a participative and committed person.
- To have a good conduct and to be respectful with the people who collaborate and the community.
- You must be aware of the culture and customs of the country in which you are collaborating.
- Ability to work in a team.
Also in your registration process we will ask for the following information:
- A passport-size photo.
Copy of the passport information sheet.
- Criminal record sheet (police control).
- Vaccination card in case they are required.
- Copy of the confirmation date of the return flight ticket.
Social volunteer projects in Cartagena Colombia such as: productive yards, culture and sport, teaching, its price is of:
- 2 weeks (minimum period) 460€.
- Each additional week is 180€.
WHAT’S INCLUDED ?
- Welcome at the airport and transfer to your accommodation.
- Accommodation and breakfast.
- Transportation to the project.
- 24/7 support from the
- Adventure Volunteer team.
- Orientation and induction to the program.
- Monitoring and evaluation of the program.
- Certificate of weeks spent volunteering.
- Guidance, advice and management in choosing the program.
- Volunteer T-shirt.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE PROGRAM?
- Flight to Colombia.
- Return to the airport on the last day.
- Visa if required.
- Vaccinations, if necessary.
Internal transportation or excursions.
- Trips inside or outside the country.
- Travel medical insurance (obligatory).
- Drinks, diets or special meals.
- Bottled water.
ARRIVAL AT YOUR DESTINATION
When you arrive at Rafael Núñez International Airport (CTG), located 5 km from the city center, you will be met by the taxi driver responsible for the organization. This will have a sign with your name or the organization’s name on the way out, after you pass the immigration controls. It will recognize you by the photo that you sent us attached in the extended form. He will then take you to the hostel.
Depending on the time of arrival and facilities in the accommodation, you will be made the orientation of the place. The first day in the project, which is usually on Mondays, will be conducted induction to the project and the activities to be done, you will also tell the rules, rules and procedures to follow during your volunteering.
- December to April, you find temperatures between 28ºC and 31ºC.
- May to November is considered rainy season, but the temperatures are the same, but the nights are cooler.
The official currency in Colombia is the Colombian Peso (COP). Convert it
In order to exchange foreign currency, you will find it in almost all tourist places (Bocagrande, Ciudad Amurallada).
Examples of costs in Cartagena: 1 € is about 3781 Colombian pesos.
- A cappuccino coffee 3900 Colombian pesos (1,00).
- A menu of the day, in economic places 10500 Colombian pesos (2,78€).
- A bottle of water 1900 Colombian pesos (0,50€).
- Transport by bus 2300 Colombian pesos (0,61€). This may vary depending on the type of transport you use.
For your volunteer work in Cartagena Colombia, your flight must have a final destination at Rafael Núñez International Airport (CTG), where one of our coordinators or taxi driver from the organization’s team will be waiting for you.
- Flights range from 600€ to 800€ approximately.
- You can find good flight offers on google flights or skyscanner.
A unique and fascinating place, which you can travel with family, friends, couple and alone.
It is an interesting destination, not only because of its walls but also because it is a place that witnessed great historical moments such as:
- Prowess of independence
- Confrontation and looting
When you are inside you will be surprised by all the things you can see, here I leave you some of the places you can visit within the Walled City:
- La Plaza de la Aduana: You can see different historical buildings, such as the one where the founder of the city Don Pedro de Heredia lived. You can also see the statue of Christopher Columbus in the central part of the square and the House of the Marquis of the Royal Prize.
- Palace of the Inquisition: it is a place where they expose instruments that they used to torture people that they considered a danger or integrated, it was very common in that time.
- Churches: You can visit the convent of San Pedro Claver, the church La Trinidad, Santo Toribio, La Ermita del Cabrero.
Barrio cartagena getsemaníJust go through the entrance of the clock and you find this wonderful neighborhood, full of life and color. A place where you will find a variety of inexpensive hostels and restaurants with a good atmosphere.
It is a safe neighborhood, its humble and hardworking people, many small businesses. It is a neighborhood that you fall in love with, the perfect place to soak up the life of the Cartagena people, to taste and live the true essence of Cartagena.
Depending on the area where you drive, you can go to some of these beaches as:
- The Laguito
- Large Castle
Place where you can find truly beautiful beaches, quiet and with the possibility of many activities during the day.
In Baru you can find one of the most beautiful and in Isla Grande one of the quietest. To get to these beaches you can hire a tourist package, ranging from pasadia to packages of several days. They usually include transportation (round trip), meals, accommodation in case you go for several days and tour to other islands.
As in many countries of the world you have to take certain precautions and know how to drive in certain zones and areas of the city.
Tourist areas are generally safe, but we still recommend that you keep these details in mind:
- Notify your coordinator if you are going on an excursion.
- Have your coordinator’s phone number and address handy.
- Avoid giving out information about where you are staying, the project and your fellow students.
- Avoid risk areas in every place you visit.
Travel in austerity in your daily transfers and on your excursions.
- Avoid attracting attention with jewelry and accessories.
- If you can avoid taking your mobile phone out in public places.
- Try to use the country’s safe transport services or services such as Uber or taxis.
- Avoid walking alone on unknown streets at night.
- Never put someone you don’t know into an unknown vehicle, or someone you don’t know into yours.
- Do not drink any drink of which you do not know the origin.
- From the moment you fill in the registration form for a program in Colombia we will save your place for 7 days.
- To confirm your place definitively, you must pay a deposit of 150 € within 7 days, once the deposit is paid, your place will be guaranteed and you will be formally part of the family of volunteers of Adventure Volunteer.
- As soon as you pay the program deposit, we will send you an email to confirm that your place is secure where we will provide you with the volunteer guide, your t-shirt, mandatory insurance and the volunteer agreement.
- The rest of the payment is made one month before your incorporation to the project.
WHAT VACCINATIONS ARE NEEDED TO TRAVEL TO CARTAGENA, COLOMBIA?
At the moment there is no mandatory vaccine for people who are not from countries where yellow fever is.
IS IT SAFE TO TRAVEL TO CARTAGENA?
Of course it is safe, it is a destination that receives many tourists from different countries all year round, especially Cartagena, which is a safe place, its people very friendly and treatable.
WHERE CAN I CHANGE MONEY IN CARTAGENA?
In all the tourist sector of Cartagena and in the airport you find a house of change. In the historical center (Walled City) is where you find more places. and with better offers of change.
WHERE CAN I EAT TYPICAL CARTAGENA FOOD?
Within the walled city you can go to the restaurant El Portón de San Sebastián and Az-zahr are very visited. However, you can find many other places that offer typical Colombian and economic food. There will also be Italian and fast food restaurants.
If we go to Gethsemane you will find cheaper food and places. Here you can find menus of the house for about 4 euros. Locals or restaurants are more modest, but that’s a way to interact and share with the local people of the city.
A good typical dish usually includes salad and soup and you can not miss the meat or fish with coconut rice, potatoes and beans or lentils. In addition to the delicious juices
Be sure to try the great natural fruit juices and meat skewers from the street stalls outside the walls. In the beach area you can choose between expensive restaurants or grilled fish from the beach bars. I advise you this last option.
WHERE CAN I GO OUT IN CARTAGENA?
I’ve already told you how beautiful this city is, but there are a few places to go out. The two places we can say safe to go out at night are the places within the walled city and Gethsemane.
You like salsa so Café del Mar, Café Havana is for you. For a slightly different night La Movida is an exclusive place, that is more expensive.
A place with more atmosphere in the week that is Tu Candela, the music is varied and is one of the few places that opens until late weekdays. There’s also Mister Babilla, it’s a good place to go in group, the atmosphere and the very nice people. You will listen to local music such as vallenatos, salsa, reguetón and of course the champet.