VOLUNTEERING IN GUATEMALA
Have you always wanted to travel the world and spend some of your time helping others through a volunteer program?
The first thing you should do is a list of the things you would like to do during that experience. You should not miss knowing exotic and unique places in the country where you travel, cities with great stories and the opportunity to help others.
Having at least these ideas to start your trip, consider being part of our volunteer programs in Guatemala.
Without hesitation, it is an experience where you put your knowledge into practice and improve your skills. At the same time it supports communities, children and young people to obtain greater personal and professional growth.
This page is of general information, you will have specific information about each project in its section, since according to the program, different conditions or concepts will be included or excluded, they will also have different arrival and cooperation schedules.
PROGRAMS IN GUATEMALA
WHEN CAN YOU COLLABORATE IN THE VOLUNTARY PROJECTS IN GUATEMALA?
All volunteer projects in Guatemala are available from:
- January to December, within the Guatemalan school period.
* They remain closed during holidays and holidays.
All volunteers who collaborate in the volunteer projects in Guatemala are housed in houses of host families selected by the organization.
WHAT DOES ACCOMMODATION WITH FAMILIES INCLUDE?
- Bed in a shared room with other volunteers.
- The 3 meals from Monday to Friday. On Saturdays only breakfast is provided and Sunday meals are not included.
- WIFI connection
Meals are not included during the following celebrations:
- December 24 – Good Night
- January 1 – New Year
- Easter – Thursday and Good Friday (March or April)
- May (day 1) – Labor
- Day June 30 – Army Day
- 25 of June – Patronal Feast of Antigua Guatemala
- September 15 – Independence Day of Guatemala
- August 15 – Patronal Feast of Jocotenango
- All Saints Day (November 1)
Adventure Volunteer encourages people over 18 who want to contribute their grain of sand helping others to be part of a volunteer program.
As a minimum volunteer you must meet the following requirements:
- Be of age
- legalYou must be a committed person, since you actively participate in educational and social activities that require your commitment
- Will and ability to work in a team. It is important, since you will work with other volunteers and with people from different cultures.
- In your volunteering you meet people with limited resources, different ways of life and different work rhythms, so you must be empathetic
- As a volunteer you must be flexible
Social volunteer projects in Guatemala, its price is:
- 2 weeks (minimum period) € 585
- Each week for additional is € 180
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING?
- Welcome at the airport.
- Accommodation in family homes.
- Meals, those indicated in the project
- Orientation Day and Program Induction.
- 24/7 support of the Adventure Volunteer team.
- Orientation and induction to the program.
- Monitoring and evaluation of the program.
- Certificate of weeks spent in your volunteering.
- Guide, advice and management in the choice of the program.
- Volunteer T-shirt
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE PROGRAM?
- Flight to Guatemala.
- Visa, if necessary.
- Medical Insurance (mandatory).
- Vaccines, if necessary.
- Internal transport or excursions.
- Return to the airport on the last day.
- Drinks, diets and special meals.
- Travel inside or outside the country.
ARRIVAL AT YOUR DESTINATION
When you arrive at the Aurora International Airport, which is located in the capital city of Guatemala, the local coordinator will be waiting for you with a sign with your name on your way out. You will immediately be taken to the family home, where you will stay until the end of your project.
Depending on what time you arrive, you will have the orientation day the same day or the next day. Basically we will tell you in general the basic rules of the house and the place where it is located.
Guatemala is usually warm and temperate. Normally you find temperatures of 17.2 ° C.
- March the driest month.
- June the wettest.
- January has the lowest average temperature of the year, 15.6 ° C.
Throughout the year, temperatures usually vary by 2.8 ° C.
Its official currency is the Quetzal. You can use both local currency and dollars on your trip.
However, it is recommended that you change the currency in the country of destination. You can also go to your bank before traveling or get money using credit cards in Guatemala.
Your flight must have as final destination the international airport La Aurora, where you will be transferred to the family house according to organization and information given by the coordinator.
- Flights range between € 550 and € 700 approximately.
- You can find good deals on flights on google flights or skyscanner.
Other companies that offer Iberia, Delta, American Airlines, United and Copa flights.
In Guatemala, you will find many ideal places, surrounded by nature, culture and traditions to enjoy. While in Sacatepéquez enjoy a different and unique day, without going so far.
Considered one of the best maintained cities in Central America and one of the most attractive places in Sacatepéquez and the most important for Guatemala. You can appreciate the architecture of the cathedrals, the temples and its streets that make you feel that time has not passed.
Among the most attractive and visited places in Antigua Guatemala we can mention:
- Church of the San Pedro Hospital and Capuchin Convent
- Hermitage of the Holy Cross
- Ruins and Church of the Company of Jesus
- Church of St. Augustine and the Merced
- Arch of St. Catherine
- Ruins of St. Francisco
Among the most attractive and visited places of Antigua Guatemala are:
- San Pedro Hospital Church and Capuchinas Convent
- Hermitage of Santa Cruz
- Ruins and Church of the Society of Jesus
- Church of San Agustín y la Merced
- Arch of Santa Catalina
- Ruins of San Francisco
CERRO DE LA CRUZ
You are a photography lover and would like to get to know Antigua Guatemala in a unique way, do not forget to take a hike to Cerro de la Cruz, named for the cross that is located on the hill, which gives you a view Unique in the city.
THE TIKAL NATIONAL PARK
To take a tour of the Tikal National Park, is to take a trip for time. It is considered one of the largest cities of the Mayan civilization. Many visitors make the journey in one day, to immerse themselves in this immense and attractive care that hides unique mysteries.
One of the most visited tourist destinations in Guatemala. The walks are made by places surrounded by forests. The view from its summit is impressive, due to its nature and unique landscapes.
At the Central American level, Guatemala is considered a safe country. But nothing is perfect, and as in many countries of the world you have to take certain precautions and know how to handle yourself in certain areas and areas of a country.
In general, tourist areas are safe, but we also recommend that you keep these details in mind:
- Notify your coordinator, in case of any excursion, so that he can warn you about the places.
- Have your coordinator’s phone number and the address where you are staying in case you need it.
- Avoid giving information about where you are staying, about the project and your colleagues (volunteers) for safety.
- Do not take anyone who is not from the organization to the volunteer’s home.
- Avoid risk areas in every place you visit.
- Travel in austerity in your daily transfers and in your excursions.
- Avoid attracting attention with jewelry and accessories.
- If you can avoid taking out your mobile phone in public places.
- Try using the country’s safe transport services or services such as Uber or taxis.
- Avoid walking alone or alone on streets not known at night.
- Never get in an unknown vehicle or yours to someone you don’t know.
- Do not ingest any beverage from which you do not know the origin.
- From the moment you fill out the registration form for a program in Guatemala we will keep the place for 7 days.
- To confirm your place definitely, you must pay a € 150 signal before 7 days, once the signal is paid, your place will be guaranteed and you will be formally part of the Adventure Volunteer family of volunteers.
- As soon as you make the payment of the program signal, we will send you an email to confirm that your place is safe where we will provide you with the volunteer guide, your shirt, mandatory insurance and the volunteer agreement.
- The rest of the payment is made one month before joining the project.
HOW MANY HOURS SHOULD I BE IN THE PROJECT?
Generally we ask volunteers to work at least 3 or 4 hours a day.
SHOULD I TAKE SCHOOL MATERIAL?
Although it is not mandatory for the volunteer to bring school or didactic material for the project, everything that is carried is very well received, since resources are limited.
HOW MUCH MONEY SHOULD I CARRY FOR MY TRIP?
The cost of the project covers accommodation, meals and airport pick-up on the day of your arrival, regularly the daily volunteer is spending between 10 to 20 dollars. In the case that you make some excursions or buy some souvenir you must bring a little more money according to the trips you want to make. In Antigua, Guatemala you find many ATMs, but you should check with your bank before traveling and verify that you can use your card abroad.
WHAT SHOULD I CARRY ON MY SUITCASE?
It is recommended to carry a backpack, it is more comfortable to travel, comfortable shoes or sandals, light but not tight pants, shirts, light jacket, the nights are usually cool, sipping or cap, sunglasses and mosquito net.
Proyectos de voluntariado
Tenemos en el podcast una invitada muy esperada, Gabriela de Guatemala, nos cuenta sobre el voluntariado que se realiza en la antigua.