VOLUNTEERING IN GUATEMALA
You have always wanted to travel and spend some of your time helping others through a volunteer program in Guatemala.
Without a doubt, it is an experience where you put your knowledge into practice and improve your skills. At the same time it supports communities, children and youth to obtain a greater personal and professional growth.
We collaborate in 4 volunteer programs in Guatemala, each one focused on covering a need, in the area of teaching, school revision, sports and the environment.
TEACHING AND SCHOOL REINFORCEMENT
We know that education is one of the most important means for our children to improve their skills and knowledge. The volunteer program in teaching and school reinforcement in Guatemala, works with the objective of providing educational assistance in basic but important issues for the growth of every child.
Many young people often use sport to disconnect from the negative things around them. The sports volunteer program in Guatemala provides an opportunity for these children to find a motivation to achieve their goals.
The volunteer has the opportunity to get involved and promote the sustainability of our natural context. The environment has turned out to be a priority in our time, due to the great deterioration that our actions have created.
With the project, the life of many marginalized children and youths in Antigua Guatemala is improved.
REQUIREMENTS FOR VOLUNTEERING IN GUATEMALA
Adventure Volunteer encourages people over 18 who want to contribute their grain of sand helping others to be part of a volunteer program.
As a minimum volunteer you must meet the following requirements:
- Be of age
- legalYou must be a committed person, since you actively participate in educational and social activities that require your commitment
- Will and ability to work in a team. It is important, since you will work with other volunteers and with people from different cultures.
- In your volunteering you meet people with limited resources, different ways of life and different work rhythms, so you must be empathetic
- As a volunteer you must be flexible
WHERE WILL I BE DURING MY VOLUNTEER WORK?
The projects are developed near Antigua Guatemala.
WHEN CAN YOU COLLABORATE ON VOLUNTEER PROJECTS IN GUATEMALA?
All volunteer projects in Guatemala are available from:
- January to December, within the Guatemalan school period.
They remain closed during holidays and holidays.
ARRIVAL AT YOUR DESTINATION
When you arrive at the Aurora International Airport, which is located in the capital city of Guatemala, the local coordinator will be waiting for you with a sign with your name on your way out. You will immediately be taken to the family home, where you will stay until the end of your project.
Depending on what time you arrive, you will have the orientation day the same day or the next day. Basically we will tell you in general the basic rules of the house and the place where it is located.
Only the yellow fever vaccine is obligatory (in theory only for people who have spent some time in countries at risk).
VISA TO ENTER GUATEMALA
For people coming from Spain, no visa is required, (other countries consult).
Depending on the country of origin, no visa is required for stays of between 30 and 90 days.
Passport in order and valid for at least six months.
Exit ticket of the country.
SECURITY IN GUATEMALA
At the Central American level, Guatemala is considered a safe country. But nothing is perfect, and as in many countries of the world you have to take certain precautions and know how to handle yourself in certain areas and areas of a country.
In general, tourist areas are safe, but we also recommend that you keep these details in mind:
- Notify your coordinator, in case of any excursion, so that he can warn you about the places.
- Have your coordinator’s phone number and the address where you are staying in case you need it.
- Avoid giving information about where you are staying, about the project and your colleagues (volunteers) for safety.
- Do not take anyone who is not from the organization to the volunteer’s home.
- Avoid risk areas in every place you visit.
- Travel in austerity in your daily transfers and in your excursions.
- Avoid attracting attention with jewelry and accessories.
- If you can avoid taking out your mobile phone in public places.
- Try using the country’s safe transport services or services such as Uber or taxis.
- Avoid walking alone or alone on streets not known at night.
- Never get in an unknown vehicle or yours to someone you don’t know.
- Do not ingest any beverage from which you do not know the origin.
HOST FAMILY ACCOMMODATION
All volunteers who collaborate in the volunteer projects in Guatemala are housed in houses of host families selected by the organization.
WHAT DOES ACCOMMODATION WITH FAMILIES INCLUDE?
- Bed in a shared room with other volunteers.
- The 3 meals from Monday to Friday. On Saturdays only breakfast is provided and Sunday meals are not included.
- WIFI connection
Meals are not included during the following celebrations:
- December 24 – Good Night
- January 1 – New Year
- Easter – Thursday and Good Friday (March or April)
- May (day 1) – Labor
- Day June 30 – Army Day
- 25 of June – Patronal Feast of Antigua Guatemala
- September 15 – Independence Day of Guatemala
- August 15 – Patronal Feast of Jocotenango
- All Saints Day (November 1)
The contribution in the volunteer projects in Guatemala for a period of 14 days is 445€ and with the tax deduction you will only pay 221.75€
You will be able to deduct approximately 45% of the total economic contribution to the program by means of the tax certificate that we will give you.
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING?
- Welcome at the airport.
- Accommodation in family homes.
- Meals, those indicated in the project
- Orientation Day and Program Induction.
- 24/7 support of the Adventure Volunteer team.
- Orientation and induction to the program.
- Monitoring and evaluation of the program.
- Certificate of weeks spent in your volunteering.
- Guide, advice and management in the choice of the program.
- Volunteer T-shirt
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED?
- Flight to Guatemala.
- Visa, if necessary.
- Medical Insurance (mandatory).
- Vaccines, if necessary.
- Internal transport or excursions.
- Return to the airport on the last day.
- Drinks, diets and special meals.
- Travel inside or outside the country.
We remind you that the value of the donation can be deducted from your full income tax liability, up to a limit of 10% of the taxable base.
- Donations up to 150 :(donation equal to or less than 150), the deduction will be 80%
- Donations over 150 euros: (donation over 150 ?), will be 35% and 40% if made for more than 3 years in a row of the same value or more to the same association.
NOTE: There is a deduction from the IRPF for donations made to non-profit organisations under Law 49/2002, of 23 December. established in Articles 68.3, 69.1 IRPF Law and 69.2 Regulations. Royal Decree-Law 17/2020 of 5 May. (refunds are made in the year following payment). As a donation, the 150 euros initially contributed are not refundable.