Volunteer in Honduras
Honduras, located in the heart of Central America, surrounded by mountains, beaches and a mild climate that allows you to enjoy this beautiful country.
But it does not escape a reality that affects many countries in Central America, such as inequality in many of its citizens. For many families, their main source of income is for jobs in large textile companies and most of these workers are women, youth and single mothers. As this situation you find many more. So we try to provide our grain of sand, through support for projects such as teaching and support in children’s dining rooms.
You can be part of this project and help our children who are the most important pillar in our society, improve their skills and knowledge.
This page is of general information, you will have specific information about each project in its section, since according to the program, different conditions or concepts will be included or excluded, they will also have different arrival and cooperation schedules.
PROGRAMS IN HONDURAS
WHEN CAN YOU COLLABORATE IN THE VOLUNTEER PROJECTS IN HONDURAS?
You can participate throughout the year in the following volunteer programs in Honduras:
- Teaching and support in children’s canteen
* See specifications of schedules and arrival dates in the detail of the program through its link.
ACCOMMODATION IN HOST FAMILIES FOR VOLUNTEERS
You will live with a Honduran host family. All the selected houses have the basic comforts that in general have a family of medium low status in Honduras.
Bear in mind that they are humble families, the country is quite poor and water cuts and other supplies can be suffered.
WHAT DOES ACCOMMODATION IN HOUSES INCLUDE FOR VOLUNTEERS?
- Bed, in a room that you share with other volunteers.
- Meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- Laundry area (only cold water and hand wash).
- WIFI in the house
For Adventure Volunteer, volunteers are an important pillar for the development of all their volunteer programs where we collaborate. So participating in some of the volunteer programs does not require you to have a specific specialty, only with the desire and these requirements that we mention you can participate:
- Be of age.
- Availability to perform various jobs.
- Be a communicative, participatory and committed person.
- Have good behavior and be respectful of the people you collaborate and the community.
- You must be aware of the culture and customs of the country you are collaborating with.
- Capacity for teamwork.
The price to be paid in volunteer projects in Honduras is:
- 2 weeks (minimum period) € 445
- Each week for additional is € 130
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING?
- Welcome and transfer to the accommodation.
- Accommodation during your volunteer stay.
- Meals during your volunteering (3 a day).
- 24/7 support of the Adventure Volunteer team.
- Monitoring and evaluation at the end of your program.
- Civil Liability
- Insurance Accident Insurance for volunteer activity.
- Orientation by the zone and induction to the project.
- Digital certificate of weeks spent in your volunteering.
- Guide, advice and management in the choice of the program.
- Volunteer shirt
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE PROGRAM?
- Flight to Honduras
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Internal transport or excursions
- Return to the airport on the last day
- Travel inside or outside the Country
- Visa, if necessary
- Drinks, diets and special meals.
- Bottled water.
ARRIVAL AT YOUR DESTINATION
We will pick you up from the international airport Toncontín de Tegucigalpa, which is located 53 kilometers from the project where you will be received by the local coordinator of the organization, which will take you by car or public transport to the family house where you will stay until The term of your project.
Depending on the time of arrival, you will be guided or the next day, where you will be told in general the basic rules of the house and the place where it is located, in addition to the explanation of the program to be developed according to the time of year.
- Dry season is mostly clear and hot throughout the year. Generally the temperature varies from 16 ° C to 32 ° C and rarely falls below 13 ° C or rises above 34 ° C.
- The fresh season is from October 27 to January 30. The coldest day of the year is January 21, with an average minimum temperature of 16 ° C and an average maximum of 27 ° C.
The official currency is Lempira.
On your trip you can use both local currency and dollars.
Example on the prices of some things in Honduras:
- Cappuccino coffee 39.50 Lempira (€ 1.45).
- Menu of the day, in economic places 310.00 Lempira (€ 10).
- A bottle of water 19.30 Lempira (€ 0.71).
- Transportation by bus 13.30 Lempira (€ 0.49). This may vary depending on the route.
Your flight must have as its final destination the Toncontin Tegucigalpa International Airport, where you will be transferred to the family house according to organization and information given by the coordinator.
You can find flights to Honduras between 500 and 800 euros approximately according to season.
- You can find flights on the following airlines Iberia, Delta, American Airlines, United and Copa.
Surrounded by national parks and full of incredible vegetation to spend an entire day. The lake offers several opportunities fordoner ecotourism that will leave impressed. In addition, very close you find the Pulhapanzak Falls, which are spectacular.
Place where you can see one of the most beautiful and exuberant samples of urban art, since its streets and corners tell stories, they reflect the culture and traditions not only of Honduras but of many countries in Central America. A unique place and not to be missed if you are in Honduras.
VALLE DE ANGELES
Known as the cradle of artisans in Honduras, El Valle de Ángeles, is a quiet town that stands out for the kindness of its people, its food and its history. Surrounded by mountains and lakes makes this place a destination to find yourself.
You like the routes and why not do it while you volunteer in Honduras, Cerro El Pintacho is an ideal place for that route that you have always wanted to do outside your country. It is a mountain that is 1200 meters above sea level. At its top you will find the monument with the image of Christ, called by the capitals as «El Cristo del Picacho«.
Honduras is still seen as a place where you can go sightseeing and be safe. But nothing is perfect, and as in many countries of the world you have to take certain precautions and know how to handle in certain areas and areas of the city.
In general, tourist areas are safe, but we also recommend that you keep these details in mind:
- Notify your coordinator, in case of any excursion, so that he can warn you about the places.
- Have your coordinator’s phone number and the address where you are staying in case you need it.
- Avoid giving information about where you are staying, about the project and your colleagues (volunteers) for safety.
- Do not take anyone who is not from the organization to the volunteer’s home.
- Avoid risk areas in every place you visit.
- Travel in austerity in your daily transfers and in your excursions.
- Avoid attracting attention with jewelry and accessories.
- If you can avoid taking out your mobile phone in public places.
- Try using the country’s safe transport services or services such as Uber or taxis.
- Avoid walking alone or alone on streets not known at night.
- Never get in an unknown vehicle or yours to someone you don’t know.
- Do not ingest any beverage from which you do not know the origin.
- From the moment you fill out the registration form for a program in Honduras we will keep the place for 7 days.
- To confirm your place definitely, you must pay a € 150 signal before 7 days, once the signal is paid, your place will be guaranteed and you will already be formally part of the Adventure Volunteer family of volunteers.
- As soon as you make the payment of the program signal, we will send you an email to confirm that your place is safe where we will provide you with the volunteer guide, your shirt, mandatory insurance and the volunteer agreement.
- The rest of the payment is made one month before joining the project.
WHERE WILL I LIVE DURING MY VOLUNTEER IN HONDURAS?
Volunteers in Honduras live with a host family selected by the organization. Families are carefully selected and prepared to receive volunteers at home.
The treatment received will be like one of the family and you are welcome to join the daily routines of the family.
Likewise, Adventure Volunteer constantly supervises the families and projects where we collaborate, traveling to the country and through the good volunteers they support.
CAN I ADAPT AND FIT IN MY VOLUNTEER?
Volunteers are usually concerned with fitting or adapting to the project or the environment in their volunteering, especially when there is a language barrier, but addressing these challenges is an important part of the international volunteer experience, but most AFS students adapt, make friends and have fun – volunteers and trained AFS staff – will help you every step of the way.
One way to learn more about studying abroad and what it feels like to make friends in other countries, is to visit the AFS Facebook page and meet other AFS participants in our country, or go to our Facebook page. AFS International to connect with AFS students from around the world.
IS THERE ANY COORDINATOR IN THE PROJECT?
All the local organizations and projects in which we collaborate have an incite coordinator, also in the process of registering and organizing your volunteer you have the Adventure Volunteer team available to clarify all the doubts you have.
IS HONDURAS SAFE?
We can say that in the communities where we collaborate it is rare that there are incidents with visitors or volunteers. But as in any country, you may be exposed to situations such as an assault that is common anywhere for reasons of insecurity. In general, the villages are quiet and with very friendly people. If you plan some excursions, you can check with the local coordinator who recommends the places you can visit and how to drive around the country.
WILL I BE LOOKING FOR THE AIRPORT WHEN I ARRIVE IN HONDURAS?
Of course we pick you up at the airport the day you arrive. All information of the person who will wait for you is sent to you weeks before the start of your volunteering.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I SICK DURING MY VOLUNTEER?
You have the accident and civil liability insurance provided by Adventure Volunteer, but we also ask you to have travel insurance (medical) that covers abroad for these situations. In the long form that you fill out we ask for the data to provide you with the logistics and advice in case you need to use it.