VOLUNTEERING IN NICARAGUA
Nicaragua, a country that offers you a lot. Unique for its biodiversity, for its volcanoes, jungles, lakes, beaches, nature reserves, colonial cities and the main thing its cheerful people, always ready to receive you with open arms.
With our volunteer programs in Nicaragua we seek to work hand in hand with the children and young people who are the future. Collaborate with the most vulnerable communities, improve the quality of life of communities and neighborhoods that are in situations of poverty.
Nicaragua is considered the second poorest country in Latin America.
Although education is free and compulsory in Nicaragua, many children do not continue to study because of various situations such as: accessibility of schools, unemployed parents and children working to help support the home, many of them do not complete their primary and secondary education and in some cases never go to school. Volunteer programmes help many children become motivated, develop their skills and explore their knowledge.
This page is for general information, you will have specific information about each project in its section, because depending on the program, different conditions or concepts will be included or excluded, they will also have different arrival and cooperation times.
PROGRAMS IN NICARAGUA
WHEN CAN YOU COLLABORATE IN VOLUNTEER PROJECTS IN NICARAGUA?
You can participate all year round in the following volunteer programs in Nicaragua:
- School reinforcement
- Empowerment of women with young pregnant women
- Community Development
*In each program you can check the days of arrival in the country and start of projects.
All volunteers who collaborate in volunteer projects in Nicaragua are housed in the homes of families selected by the organization.
WHAT DOES HOSTEL ACCOMMODATION INCLUDE?
- Bed in shared room with other volunteers and bathroom within the room or shared.
- Meals during your volunteering.
- Use of common areas.
- WIFI connection (internet).
- Low cost laundry or hand-washing area.
For Adventure Volunteer volunteers are an important pillar for the development of all volunteer programs where we collaborate. Therefore, participating in some of the volunteer programs does not require that you have a specific specialty, but if the desire and these requirements we mention you can participate:
- Be of legal age to participate in volunteer programs with Adventure Volunteer.
- Availability to do various jobs.
To be a communicative, participative and committed person.
- Have a good behavior and be respectful with the people who collaborate and the community.
- You must be aware of the culture and customs of the country you are collaborating with.
- Ability to work in a team.
The price of volunteer programs in Nicaragua ranges from 495€ from 2 weeks.
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING FOR?
- Welcome at the airport and transfer to the volunteer’s home.
- Accommodation during your volunteering
- 3 meals during the course of your volunteer program
- 24/7 support from the Adventure Volunteer team
- Monitoring and evaluation of the programme
- Orientation and induction to the program
- Certificate of weeks completed in your volunteering
- Accident insurance during your volunteering
- Civil liability for your activity
- Receipt from NGO about your program fee
- Guidance, advice and management in the choice of programme
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE PROGRAM?
- Flight to the country
- Visa, if necessary
- Vaccines, if necessary
- Travel Insurance
- Internal transportation or excursions
- Return to the airport on the last day
- Beverages, diets or special meals
- Trips inside or outside the country
ARRIVAL AT YOUR DESTINATION
We will pick you up from Augusto C. Sandino International Airport which is located 11 kilometers from downtown Managua. You will be received by the local coordinator of the organization, who will take you by public transportation to the family home where you will stay until the end of your project.
Depending on the time of your arrival, you will have your orientation the same day or the next day, where we will tell you in a general way the basic rules of the house and of the place where it is located, besides the explanation of the program to develop according to season of the year.
- Rainy season, from May to October, you find temperatures of 27º and 32º degrees.
- November and April are dry season and temperatures are 35º and 40º degrees.
The official currency is Cordoba.
In your trip you can use both local currency and dollars, the currency exchange is done in the country of destination. You can also go to your bank or withdraw money through credit cards in Nicaragua.
Your flight must have as its final destination the Augusto C. Sandino International Airport, formerly called Managua International Airport.
Flights cost between 500 and 800 euros depending on the season.
- You can find flights on the following airlines: Iberia, Delta, American Airlines, United and Copa.
Nicaragua offers a variety of tourist activities such as: hiking in the mountains and volcanoes, exploring the city center, water sports and enjoy its gastronomy. Among its most important cities are León, Granada and its capital Managua. Its official language is Spanish, 70% of its population is mestizo and 5% is indigenous.
CITY OF GRANADA
It is south of Managua and close to the most beautiful beaches of the Pacific Ocean. Also known as the Great Sultan, for its landscapes, colonial houses and hospitality. In this small but exotic place you can find the Mombacho volcano, the cocibolca lake and its archipelago. It is visited by many tourists from all over the world due to its natural and historical attraction.
masaya volcano in nicaragua destination volunteer adventure volunteer
NATURE RESERVE – MOMBACHO VOLCANO
It’s south of the city of Granada, where you can hike through the cloud forest located in the Pacific of Nicaragua, where you can appreciate its flora and fauna. The volcano is extinct, is now home to species of birds, mammals and amphibians, also has a museum which you can visit and learn a little more about the essence of this place.
It is part of the National Park Archipelago of Zapatera, you can see the zapatera lagoon that is because of an ancient crater of the volcano currently sleeping. You can also enjoy nature with walks and excursions in the archeological and wooded areas or enjoy a day of fishing in the calm waters of the lake.
It is the product of a volcanic activity, located in one of the largest lakes in Central America and unique for having two volcanoes in the middle of its lake. If you like outdoor adventures and full of nature, climbing or walking this island is the right place for you.
CITY OF LEON
Destination to visit and spend a weekend surrounded by places that show you their culture and history. You can also do sandboarding, a sport that is done in the black ashes of Cerro Negro volcano.
- From the moment you fill out the registration form for a program in Nicaragua you will keep the place for 7 days.
- To confirm your place definitively, you must pay a deposit of 150 € within 7 days, once the deposit is paid, your place will be guaranteed and you will be formally part of the family of volunteers of Adventure Volunteer.
- As soon as you pay the program down payment, we will send you an email to confirm that your place is secure where we will provide you with the volunteer guide, your t-shirt, mandatory insurance and the volunteer agreement.
- The rest of the payment is made one month before your incorporation to the project.
In Central America, Nicaragua, despite the recent revolts, is considered a safe country. But nothing is perfect, and as in many countries of the world you have to take certain precautions and know how to handle certain zones and areas of the city.
Tourist areas are generally safe, but we also recommend that you keep these details in mind:
- Notify your coordinator if you are going on an excursion.
- Have your coordinator’s phone number and address handy.
- Avoid giving out information about the accommodation, the project and your fellow volunteers for safety.
- Do not take anyone other than the organization to the volunteer’s home.
- Avoid risk areas in every place you visit.
- Travel in austerity in your daily transfers and on your excursions.
- Avoid attracting attention with jewelry and accessories.
- If you can avoid taking your mobile phone out in public places.
- Try to use the country’s safe transportation services or services such as Uber or taxis.
- Avoid walking alone on unknown streets at night.
- Never put someone you don’t know into an unknown vehicle, or someone you don’t know into yours.
- Do not drink any drink of which you do not know the origin.
What is the currency of Nicaragua?
The Nicaraguan currency is the Cordoba, one EURO are around 37 Cordoba. The money in Nicaragua is abundant enough, it is one of the cheapest destinations for volunteering.
Do I need a visa to enter Nicaragua?
If you are from Spain you do not need any type of visa to enter Nicaragua, but currently the entry records are changing continuously so we suggest you check the visitors page in Nicaragua before going to buy the flight.
Do I need any vaccinations to go to Nicaragua?
Spaniards do not need any kind of vaccination to enter Nicaragua except if when traveling to Nicaragua you make a stopover in a country where the yellow fever disease can request that you have the vaccine that.
What is the name of the town where I am going to collaborate?
The town where you will stay is called Granada, it is one of the most beautiful cities in Nicaragua and the second largest after Managua.
Where will I sleep and what will the volunteer’s house be like?
The houses in Granada are an inheritance of the houses in the south of Spain, large houses with a small garden in the middle and an opening. The families are usually very nice and welcoming.
What excursions can I do in Nicaragua?
Nicaragua has beautiful excursions, you can visit craters of volcanoes where you will bathe in hot water, the islands of Ometepe and beaches.
What kind of food will I find in Nicaragua?
The types of food are very similar throughout Latin America, is based on rice, legumes and chicken, although they usually put other foods such as pasta or meat.
I’m afraid of the news in Nicaragua. Is it dangerous?
Unfortunately it was true news, in April 2018 for some demonstrations that took place inside the country, lasted about 3 months and left a little more poverty than there was, now Nicaragua is receiving volunteers and tourists because the danger from this cause is completely neutralized.
In 2019 Adventure Volunteers volunteers were already in the volunteer programs.
Is there a direct flight from Spain to Nicaragua?
From Spain you will be able to fly directly to Nicaragua with the company Iberia other European ones also arrive there.
What is the weather like from the airport to the volunteer’s house?
The airport is about 45 or 50 minutes to the volunteer’s house, it depends a little on the time of arrival, although on the way and in Granada there is not much traffic usually concentrated on the exit from Managua.
Besides volunteering what other things can I do in Granada?
In addition to excursions, within Granada you have a lot of activity such as being in the square where there is always activity, doing the route of the cathedrals, or directly afternoon on the road, some restaurants where thousands of volunteers gather to share their experiences.