VOLUNTEERING IN PERU
Peru, a South American country, located on the western side of South America.
It stands out for the great diversity of landscapes, valleys, mountains and picturesque places like:
- Machu Picchu, considered patrimony of humanity.
- The Sacred Valley of the Incas.
- Lake Titicaca.
- The mountain of 7 colors.
This country envelops its visitors with its mysticism and the architectural fusion of the Archaic and colonial era, its unstoppable nightlife and adventure activities.
While there you will discover that it is more than you have heard from travelers who have passed through Peru. You have specific information of each project in its section, since according to the program, different conditions or concepts will be included or excluded, they will also have different arrival and cooperation schedules.
PROGRAMS IN CUSCO
WHEN CAN YOU COLLABORATE IN VOLUNTEER PROJECTS IN CUSCO?
- School teaching and reinforcement is open all year round.
- Girls and women’s leadership open all year.
- After school support from March to mid-December.
*See schedule specifications and arrival dates in each program through its link.
The different lodgings destined for volunteers are in Cusco center and the neighborhood of San Jerónimo.
Depending on the program that the volunteer chooses, he will be assigned one lodging or another, which can be in:
- Volunteer houses or hostel
WHAT DOES ACCOMMODATION IN A VOLUNTEER’S HOUSE AND IN A HOSTEL INCLUDE?
- Bunk beds, in a room shared with other volunteers.
- Use of common areas.
- Breakfast during your volunteering (only in hostel).
- WIFI connection (internet).
- Laundry use
*In some accommodation the laundry is low cost and you have areas to wash by hand.
You should keep in mind that you are going to live with children, teenagers and communities, which have a totally different culture from yours, so the volunteer is expected to be a respectful, empathetic, dynamic, creative and participatory person, in addition to:
- Pass the Adventure Volunteer registration and interview process.
- Very open mind.
- Presentation of the criminal record certificate.
- Photocopy of your passport.
- Have a flight out of the country.
- Be of legal age.
In each project, you can consult the requirements that are requested.
Social projects in Cusco have a cost of:
- 2 weeks (minimum period) 390€.
- Each additional week is 120€.
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING FOR?
- Welcome and pick up at the airport.
- Accommodation during your volunteering.
- Breakfast during your volunteering.
- 24/7 support from the Adventure Volunteer team.
- Monitoring and evaluation of the program.
- Orientation and induction to the project.
- Certificate of weeks spent volunteering.
- Receipt from NGO about your program fee.
- Guide, advice and management of your volunteering.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE PROGRAM?
- Flights to Cusco.
- Visa, if necessary.
- Travel insurance (obligatory).
- Internal transportation or excursions.
- Return to the airport on the last day.
- Drinks, diets and special meals.
- Trips inside or outside the country.
ARRIVAL AT YOUR DESTINATION
On your arrival at the Alejandro Velasco Astete (CUZ) International Airport, located 3.7 km from the city of Cusco, you will be picked up by one of the coordinators (taxi) of the organization, which will have a small sign with your name on the exit. You will be recognized by the photo you sent us in the form.
The taxi driver will take you to the lodging where he will show you the room and the common areas of the house.
Once in Cusco, volunteers have the accompaniment and support of local staff. The local team has the capacity to handle different situations, from airport pick-up to emergencies.
IMPORTANT FACTS TO KEEP IN MIND WHEN ARRIVING IN CUSCO
If you don’t have local currency, don’t worry, Ingrith (coordinator) can guide you to places where you can do the currency exchange.
If you want to have data (internet) outside the accommodation facilities, you can buy a local SIM card (movistar, of course, entel, bitel) that costs around 8$ and you can recharge it with scratch cards and activate an internet plan.
- April and October (dry season) are generally sunny days, but nights and mornings are quite cool.
- November to March (wet season) it usually rains and you find temperatures of 12 °C.
The official currency is the Nuevo Sol (S/). Convert it
Example currency exchange in Cusco: (3,70 soles = 1€).
- A cappuccino coffee 7,60 S/(2,07€).
- A menu of the day, in economic places 10,10 S/(2,75€).
- A bottle of water 1,58 S/(0,43€).
- Transport by bus 1,50 S/(0,40€), can vary according to the route.
You can withdraw money using your credit or debit card at ATMs that you can find at the airport or in the city of Cusco.
Your flight must have as destination the international airport Alejandro Velasco Astete (CUZ), where the taxi driver (coordinator) will be waiting for you.
- You will find flights around 700€ (round trip).
- You can find good flight offers on google flights or skyscaner.
Other companies offering cheap flights are Iberia and Air Europa.
It is the capital of the Republic of Peru, located on the central coast, declared a World Heritage Site. You regularly find warm temperatures all year round.
Still in its urban areas you can find beautiful and interesting architectural monuments such as:
- The Citadel of Pachacamac
- The palace Torre Tagle Plaza de Acho
- The barefoot mall
- House of the Inquisition
- National Museum
Cusco plaza de armas voluntariadoOne of the main tourist spots in Peru and known as the “Navel of the World”. In addition to being one of the most important places in South America.
Those who know it, see it as a charming and mystical city, for its streets, unique churches and colonial structure. In addition to the humility of its people.
I suppose you’ve heard of Machu Picchu… I’ll tell you, from Cusco you can get to this spiritual place. One of the archeological jewels of the world and for tourists. You can’t miss this impressive place in Peru.
You can also take a tour of the Plaza de Armas in Cusco or visit Sacsayhuaman.
MANU NATIONAL PARK
Volunteer in Peru’s national parks where you find the world’s greatest biodiversity, where Peru’s native communities still live and maintain their traditions. It is also a place that includes exotic animals and beautiful landscapes, all this only in the Peruvian Amazon. Manu National Park is ideal for any volunteer, adventurer or person who likes and loves nature, travel and responsible tourism.
Callejon del huaylas in peru volunteeringValley of incomparable beauty and privileged to have many landscapes. It has a variety of tourist attractions from its:
- Relics of past civilizations such as:Honcopampa and Tumshucaico
Joyful Andean towns with simple and humble people, eager to show you their attractive folklore.
- Its 22 hot springs, among the main ones stand out: the Hot Springs of Chancos, the Thermal Baths of Monterrey and the thermo medicinal center.
- Lagoons, cascades of clear and crystalline waters and deep ravines, that form part of the enchantment that this beautiful valley offers.
Cuzco is very quiet and safe. But nothing is perfect, and as in many places in the world you have to take certain precautions and know how to drive in certain areas of a city.
Tourist areas are generally safe, but we still recommend that you keep these details in mind:
- In case of an excursion, inform your coordinator, so that he can warn you about the places.
- Have the address where you are staying and the phone number of your coordinator in case you need it.
- Avoid giving out information about where you are staying, the project and your fellow volunteers for safety.
- Do not take anyone other than the organization to the volunteer’s home and the project.
- Avoid risk zones in every place you visit.
- Travel in austerity in your daily transfers and on your excursions.
- Avoid attracting attention with jewelry and accessories.
- If you can avoid taking your mobile phone out in public places.
- Try to use the country’s safe transport services or services such as Uber or taxis.
- Avoid walking alone on unknown streets at night.
- Never put someone you don’t know into an unknown vehicle, or someone you don’t know into yours.
- Do not drink any drink of which you do not know the origin.
- From the moment you fill out the registration form for a program in Cusco you will keep the place for 7 days.
- To confirm your place definitively, you must pay a deposit of 150 € before 7 days, once the deposit is paid, your place will be guaranteed and you will be formally part of the family of volunteers of Adventure Volunteer.
- As soon as you pay the program deposit, we will send you an email to confirm that your place is secure where we will provide you with the volunteer guide, your t-shirt, mandatory insurance and the volunteer agreement.
- The rest of the payment is made one month before your incorporation to the project.
WHAT IS THE MINIMUM TIME I CAN COLLABORATE IN THESE PROGRAMS?
The minimum time to collaborate will be from 2 weeks.
WHEN DO I HAVE TO VOLUNTEER IN CUSCO?
You must arrive on Fridays, Saturdays or Sundays, as it facilitates incorporation into the project on Mondays.
IS IT BETTER TO CHANGE THE MONEY IN SPAIN OR ONCE IT ARRIVES?
It is better to change once you get there, the change is quite real. You can also withdraw with your debit or credit card visa or mastercard.
DO I NEED TO BE VACCINATED TO VOLUNTEER IN PERU?
It is not obligatory, if you are going to make an excursion near the Amazon or jungle area, it would be advisable to have the yellow fever vaccine.
WILL I HAVE A SUPPORT POINT FOR THE ORGANIZATION IN THE COUNTRY?
We have international cooperation agreements with local organizations. You will also find a representative of Adventure Volunteer in the country and will guide and support you on the trip.
CAN I USE MY WHATSAPP IN PERU?
Yes, once you arrive, the coordinator will tell you where to buy a SIM card, you have plans from 5 soles, although for 2 weeks or more I recommend a plan with Bitel or Movistar of 30 soles and you have unlimited everything.
WILL I HAVE WIFI IN THE ACCOMMODATION FOR VOLUNTEERS?
In the house, hostels or family of the volunteer you will have Wifi to communicate.
DON’T I HAVE MUCH IDEA WHAT I CAN HELP WITH DURING MY VOLUNTEERING?
Empathy, flexibility, teamwork and a lot of love, nothing else will be needed, if you also have an outstanding ability you can exteriorize without problems.