Volunteering in Thailand
Thailand, a country of Southeast Asia. It borders Laos to the North, Cambodia to the east and Malaysia to the South.
Its capital is Bangkok and one of the most populous and important cities in Thailand.
Some of the most important cities in Thailand are:
- Chiang Mai
- Chiang Rai
This page is of general information, you will have specific information about each project in its section, since according to the program, different conditions or concepts will be included or excluded, they will also have different arrival and cooperation schedules.
PROGRAMS IN THAILAND
WHEN CAN YOU COLLABORATE IN THE VOLUNTEER PROJECTS IN THAILAND?
- Support in social orphanages are available year-round, except the holiday months in Thailand (April).
- Teaching with Buddhist monks are available year-round except the months of April and October.
- English language teaching in schools is open all year, except in April and October.
- Elephant care and protection center is open to volunteers year-round except the month of April.
* In each program you will have the start dates to the program and you arrive in the country. It is important that you keep in mind that you must arrive on a Friday.
The different accommodation for volunteers who go to the projects in Chiang Mai are located in a central and safe area, the three houses where the volunteers sleep in Chiang Mai, are only 5 minutes walk from the local office of the organization.
WHAT DOES THE ACCOMMODATION INCLUDE?
- Bed in a shared room with other volunteers. These rooms have sheets, pillows, air conditioning, which gives a respite to the hot and sunny days of northern Thailand.
- The houses have living areas in case the volunteer likes to watch a movie, read a book, talk to the family or just relax after a day at work.
- The meals included in the volunteer program are: breakfast and lunch. The food is provided to the volunteers in the projects.
For dinners (which are not included, the volunteer can use the kitchen that is in the house where he is staying or go to cheap and delicious restaurants of Thai food, you can also go to international restaurants that are only minutes from the volunteer houses .
To volunteer programs in Thailand need:
- Pass the process of forms and interviews of Adventure Volunteer.
- Criminal record.
- Photocopy of passport.
- Good level of English, since all subjects are taught in this language.
- Flight out of the country to participate in the programs.
- Be of age
To cooperate in a volunteer in Thailand, you must keep in mind that you will participate with volunteers of all nationalities and contribute your knowledge to Thai young people who have a totally different culture from the West. Respect should be taken both in clothing and in religion and with the rules of the centers and projects.
Social projects in Thailand such as: support in social orphanages, teaching English to monks and teaching English to children in schools, its cost is:
- 2 weeks (minimum period) 800€
- Each week for additional is 160€
Support for the care and protection of elephants the price is:
- 1 week (minimum period) 800€
- Each week for additional is 360€
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING?
- Project meal (not always)
- Accommodation in shared rooms
- Two days of orientation in Chiang Mai
- Certificate of weeks spent in your volunteering.
- 24/7 support of the Adventure Volunteer team.
- You will have the continuous support of the local staff of the organization, where at all times, and in English, they will ensure your well-being and your comfort both at home and in the program.
- I receive NGOs about your program fee.
- Guide, advice and management in the choice of the program.
- Volunteer T-shirt
* In each project you can see the costs for the weeks you are interested.
ARRIVAL AT YOUR DESTINATION
When you arrive at Chiang Mai International Airport, the carrier of the local organization will be waiting for you with a sign with your name. It will recognize you by the photo you sent us attached in the extended form. It will take you to the place where you are staying according to your chosen project.
The first 2 days of arriving in Thailand are for induction and guidance (Saturday and Sunday), which includes the following:
- Guidance on Thai culture, including data to move around the country.
- A half-day city tour in the main sites and local markets.
- Introductory Thai language course that covers basic words and phrases.
- Information on local transport, including how to get to the project.
In summary, the coordinators work hard to ensure that your volunteer project runs smoothly. They also help volunteers with any problems, misunderstandings or challenges they encounter during their project.
HOW TO GET TO CHIANG MAI FROM BANGKOK
When you volunteer, you must arrive in the city of Chiang Mai on a Friday (Friday of the beginning of the program) between 8 in the morning and 8 in the afternoon.
- Buying the flight from your home city you can get directly to Chiang Mai on the same flight you buy.
- If what you decide is to stop for a few days in Bangkok, then you can also go to Chiang Mai, by means of the typical night bed train, with a domestic flight or bus.
It does not matter the means you choose for your arrival, as it will always be picked up at the train station, bus station, or airport whenever you come within the start dates of the program and between the pick-up hours that are 8:00 a.m. 8:00 in the afternoon.
In Chiang Mai, you can enjoy a less stifling climate, it is also always hot.
- May to October is the rainy season.
- November to February is the coolest time.
- March to May is the hottest time.
The local currency is the Bath. Turn it
Examples of costs in Thailand: 0.358 Bath = 1 €
Below you have a list of different prices so you can get an idea according to your lifestyle what you can spend during the week.
- If you go to the beaches or some other place outside the house of volunteering on your days off or when you finish volunteering in Thailand you can sleep in hostels for 200 baths (€ 4.7).
- Local food prices, around 30 Bath (, € 90) in the street and one 70 Bath (€ 1.9) in restaurant.
- Fresh fruits are the best things you can eat in Thailand, you can find freshly chopped fruit for 20 Baths (€ 0.50).
- The transport is also very cheap you can negotiate with Tuk-tuk, taxis with taximeters in Bangkok, or if you are more daring, for 3 or 4 euros rent a scooter.
- If you want to go to the best beaches in the south, don’t worry about volunteering in a northern city adjacent to China and Burma, because a domestic flight to Krabi or Phuket you can find an internal flight for around 1400 Bath (30 -35).
You can exchange money at the airport of Bangkok or Chiang Mai, there are also exchange houses throughout the city, it would be interesting that you change the minimum at the airport of Bangkok so that you have some cash. You can also withdraw with the debit card of any ATM, they are very safe.
For your volunteering in Thailand, your flight must have as its final destination the international airport of Chiang Mai, where one of our coordinators or taxi driver of the organization will be waiting for you.
It is a very bold and accelerated city, a city that will surprise you, with its oldest and newest side. Its glamorous multi-level shopping malls, its open-air markets and modern fusion coffees for dinner, all this you can do in one day. You really find everything in one place.
Located in northern Thailand, different from the big city of Bangkok. It has many accommodation and entertainment options necessary to receive different types of travelers who want to volunteer in Thailand.
It is an attractive city because of its open-air markets, its abundant cuisine and the access it provides to the forested mountains that make the city an attractive point for adventurers and lovers of outdoor life.
Many times tourists often miss the most authentic places and people in Chiang Mai. By volunteering in Thailand, you will have the opportunity to meet the Thais, as well as their daily routines, in a way that you never would if your only primary contact was with merchants and tour guides.
IN CHIANG MAI YOU CAN VISIT THE FOLLOWING:
- Doi Inthanon National Park
- Typical handicraft markets in the north
- Take a meditation course in Buddhist temples
- Excursions in the mountains and rice fields or go trekking
- Get lost in the historic center touring the hundreds of temples that the old city has
- Go out with other volunteers to the Zoe Yellow area to have dinner and have drinks.
- Visit the Sunday Market or go on a night safari
OTHER TOURIST PLACES OF THAILAND
- Koh San Road may be the first destination you know of Bangkok, a backpacker street you can see, full of atmosphere and shops where you can taste fried insects, eat pasta or dive between shops and bars.
- The island of Koh Tao, one of the three islands of the Gulf of Thailand, can be one of the most alternative destinations, there you can take a diving course, or enjoy a hippie and calm atmosphere during your last days of volunteering.
- The beautiful Koh Phangan, known worldwide for its great party of the blue Moon Party, if you like Fallas, San Fermin, demonstrations or concerts, this is definitely your island.
- Krabi, one of my favorites and one of the best destinations to take that feeling of having been on incredible beaches where giant sea stones come out as Skyscrapers. In addition to the beaches you can go trekking along the cliffs or go on excursions to other islands such as the Phi Phi Island. (Movie Leonardo di Caprio beach).
- Phuket, One of the most frequent destinations for volunteers in Thailand, Patong beach is long and beautiful, it has a wide variety of bars and hotel offer, in addition to the great nightlife. It is an ideal place to rent a motorcycle and go around the island seeing other quieter beaches or climbing the mountain of the great golden Buddha.
KNOWING A LITTLE MORE FROM THE COUNTRY
- Getting a Thai massage is not a tourist place, but you can do it for 150 or 200 Bath in all parts of the country.
- Seeing the great palace in Bangkok, it is impressive all you can see in the grand palace.
- Kanchanaburi, beautiful place and scene of the movie the bridge over the river Kwai.
- Ayutthaya, it was the city and the capital of the former Siam kingdom, Thailand 85 km from the current capital Bangkok, you can enjoy what is left of this ancient city.
Thailand is a country of 60 million inhabitants and incredibly beautiful places, among beaches natural parks, ancient cities in addition to its culture, security and good price.
These are just a few points of reference, but as a volunteer we recommend it, as long as you have availability of time for your work or family obligations, that you reserve 6 or 8 days to enjoy some places apart from the beautiful Chiang Mai that you will see in the day day doing your volunteering in Thailand.
Thailand is considered a safe country. But nothing is perfect, and as in many countries of the world you have to take certain precautions and know how to handle in certain areas and areas of the city.
In general, tourist areas are safe, but we also recommend that you keep these details in mind:
- Notify your coordinator, in case of any excursion.
- Have your coordinator’s phone number and the address where you are staying.
- Avoid giving information about where you are staying, about the project and your colleagues (volunteers).
- Do not take anyone who is not from the organization to the volunteer’s home.
- Avoid risk areas in every place you visit.
- Travel in austerity in your daily transfers and in your excursions.
- Avoid attracting attention with jewelry and accessories.
- If you can avoid taking out your mobile phone in public places.
- Try to use the country’s safe transport services.
- Avoid walking alone or alone on unfamiliar streets.
- Never get in an unknown vehicle or yours to someone you don’t know.
- Do not ingest any beverage from which you do not know the origin.
- From the moment you fill out the registration form for a program in India you will save the place for 7 days.
- To confirm your place definitively, you must pay a deposit of 150€ before 7 days, once the deposit is paid, your place will be guaranteed and you will be formally part of the family of volunteers of Adventure Volunteer.
- As soon as you pay the program down payment, we will send you an email to confirm that your place is secure where we will provide you with the volunteer guide, your t-shirt, mandatory insurance and the volunteer agreement.
- The rest of the payment is made one month before your incorporation to the project.
HOW MANY VOLUNTEERS WILL THERE BE WHEN YOU ARRIVE TO THE VOLUNTEER?
Normally in the house of the volunteer you will find between six and 14 volunteers depending on the season you go.
WHAT NATIONALITY ARE THE VOLUNTEERS THAT I WILL FIND IN THE VOLUNTEER’S HOUSE?
Thousands of volunteers make solidarity trips throughout the year. The nationalities that you will find in the volunteer house are from the United States, Canada, Spain and the rest of Europe and Australia.
IF I DECIDE TO GO VOLUNTEER, HOW MANY WEEKS IS THE MOST RECOMMENDED?
We will recommend you for an environmental program in Thailand between one or two weeks, since they are hard work of care, care and maintenance in the shelter and animal sanctuary.
In the case of a social program, it depends on your time but you can do it after two weeks taking a beautiful experience and supporting the subjects or taking care of children with limited resources.
I NEVER TRAVELED ALONE AND I FEAR OF GOING TO A COUNTRY SO FAR AND SO DIFFERENT.
Of all the countries you can choose, Thailand is one of the safest, just as in all countries of the world one has to have their belongings controlled all the time, but Thailand stands out for its safety and tranquility, do not worry and cheer up !
HOW MUCH MONEY DO I HAVE TO BRING THE VOLUNTEER AND THE FLIGHT ONCE?
Let’s say you are going to take a long trip to the beach with some colleagues, in addition to living the day in Chiang Mai, for this I would recommend that you take around 300-400 €
CAN I COLLABORATE ANY DATE OF THE YEAR?
Volunteer programs are open from mid-May until the end of February, because having a different culture and religion in general, in addition to a different calendar, both school and work vacations are between April and May.
WHAT CLIMATE WILL YOU DO ON THE DATES OF MY VOLUNTEER, I DON’T KNOW WHAT TO TAKE ME?
Thailand is a very hot country, luckily in Chiang Mai, you can enjoy a less suffocating climate, yet it is still summer clothes. It is advisable to have some long pants and a jacket in case you ride a motorcycle at night, for the beach area you do not need any of that.
If you forget your long pants do not worry for less than one euro you can find colorful and very comfortable Thai pants.
CAN I PERFORM THE VOLUNTEER WITH MY FRIEND OR WITH MY FAMILY?
You can volunteer with whoever you want, the travel experience is only very beautiful, since then in the volunteer’s house you will have friends of all nationalities where you will share cultures, languages and even different dinners according to countries, but you can also come with Your friend, partner, mother or daughter as it has happened on many occasions and are also totally recommended and positive experiences.
CAN I START ANY DAY THAT I WANT?
Volunteer programs start two Fridays of each month, this is done for a logistical issue, and also why you will start your volunteering the same day as many other volunteers. You have a program start calendar on the web.
WHAT CAN A VOLUNTEER CONTRIBUTE IN THAILAND?
All volunteers can bring you great personal satisfaction, another different way of seeing the world, knowing different realities and cultures, supporting a population more in need than you, I leave the link to the podcast where I have an episode that I talk about the advantages of perform volunteer.
Solidarity trip through Thailand
Episodio 16 – Voluntariado en Tailandia
Hoy en el podcast hablaremos del país de Tailandia, de sus encantos y de los diferentes programas para realizar un viaje de voluntariado en el.