You were looking for a volunteer project to be part of, Uganda is that country. It is your opportunity to have an affordable and meaningful experience, in addition to experiencing one of the most exciting adventures offered by an international volunteer.
Choosing the country of Uganda to volunteer may be one of the best choices you can make in life. The country will not only leave you amazed by its nature, climate and gastronomy, but by its culture and its people.
The capital of Uganda is Kampala. Having as official language English. Although a Swahili derivative is commonly spoken.
This is general information, you will have specific information about each project in its section, since according to the program, different conditions or concepts will be included or excluded, they will also have different arrival and cooperation schedules.
PROGRAMS IN UGANDA
The program is focused on providing children with adequate care, food, education and clothing. The contribution and help of the volunteer is essential and important for the orphanage and for the children
WHEN CAN YOU COLLABORATE IN THE VOLUNTEER PROJECTS IN UGANDA?
- Teaching and childcare is open all year.
The awareness actions Community are held all year. Usually the volunteer works from Monday to Friday at least 4 hours a day.
The places where talks and workshops take place vary, according to the needs of each community and family. The programming of the activities will be provided to you on the day of the induction to the program and the place.
The project is located in the town of Ford Portal, in the south west of the country a few kilometers from Ecuador. It is a quiet, very safe town surrounded by valleys and mountains.
ACCOMMODATION IN HOUSES FOR VOLUNTEERS
In Uganda, volunteers stay in the volunteer’s house. They will sleep in rooms with volunteers of the same gender (approx. 4 volunteers per room). Weekly the caretaker of the house will make the change of the bed linen.
- All beds have a mosquito net.
- You have wifi, electricity and drinking water in the volunteer’s house. (It is also recommended that the volunteer buy bottled water for drinking).
WHAT DOES THE ACCOMMODATION INCLUDE?
- The housekeeper will provide you with daily meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner). At breakfast you will have at your disposal bread, butter, jam, honey, hard boiled eggs and fruits such as watermelon, pineapple and bananas. For lunch you usually eat rice with peanut sauce, pasta with meat, guacamole beans and traditional Ugandan vegetables. Dinner is served between 7 and 8 at night. Mashed potatoes are usually placed for dinner with different sauces such as “matoke” (a mixture between banana and potato), rice or different types of pasta such as: spaghetti, macaroni, others.
For volunteers who require or have a need for a different diet (vegetarians, intolerant of a particular food) we ask you to indicate it in advance. So you can take into account for the preparation of the meal. We also highlight that it is a volunteer program in a different country and that the food there will not be the same as what we usually eat at home. We will do our best to make the volunteers feel well cared for.
As a volunteer you are very important for the development of volunteer programs in Uganda. Participating in some of the volunteer programs in which we collaborate does not require you to be an expert or have a specific specialty, only if you meet these requirements that we mention you can participate:
- You must be 18 years of age or older.
- Availability to perform various jobs.
- Be a participatory and committed person.
- Have good behavior and be respectful of the people you collaborate and the community.
- You must be aware of the culture and customs of the country you are collaborating.
- Capacity for teamwork.
Additional you must present the following documentation:
- A size photo
- passport-Copy of the passport information
The price to be paid for volunteer projects in Uganda is:
- 2 weeks (minimum period) € 660
- Each week for additional is € 130
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING?
- Welcome at the airport and transport to the accommodation
- Accommodation at the volunteer’s house
- Three (3) meals during the realization of your program
- Orientation day in the project area
- 24/7 support of the Adventure Volunteer team
- Monitoring and evaluation meeting of the program
- Induction to the
- Certificate of Volunteer program at the end if you require it
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE PROGRAM?
- Flight to Uganda
- Visa, if necessary
- Medical Insurance (mandatory)
- Return to the airport on the last day
- Drinks or special meals
- Travel inside or outside the country
ARRIVAL AT YOUR DESTINATION
We will pick you up at the Entebbe International Airport (EEB). Where a local team coordinator will recognize you and take you according to the time you arrive at the Ford portal. You may have to spend a night in the capital Kampala, by the time of arrival.
Important that you arrive in the country on a Friday (see the days of arrival in the project detail) to better coordinate transport logistics and be picked up with the rest of the volunteers.
Once you arrive at For Portal you will be assigned a room and a ticket office. You will also be explained the rules of the house. In addition to the functionality and presentation of the rest of the team. After the explanation of the house, you will have an orientation day for the people of For Portal. So you can guide and have autonomy of movement to go to the projects or just go have a drink with the rest of the volunteers.
Like all countries in the tropics, Uganda is also divided into wet season and dry season.
- The dry season is between the months of December to February and from June to September.
- From April to May and from October to November you find a climate with tropical rains.
For the day it is advisable to use sunscreen on the way to the projects or cooperating in the programs. Being so close to Ecuador the sun is quite aggressive.
The Shilling Ugandan is the official currency of Uganda.
In Uganda you can enjoy food and drinks at great prices. Volunteers usually find that with € 20 they have enough for their weekly basic expenses. Not including weekend excursions if they did.
The most popular airlines you can find to travel to Uganda are: Emirates, Qatar Airways, Iberia, KLM or Lufthansa.
- Flights range between € 550 and € 750 approximately.
- You can find good deals on flights on google flights or skyscanner.
With a journey of about three hours from the town is the Queen Elizabeth a nature reserve. It is an area of the most important in Uganda. Together with the rest of the volunteers, you can rent a convertible van for a visual safari. They will be able to see all kinds of animals their natural habitat.
In Lake Victoria is another tourist attraction that has the great country of Uganda. One of the largest lakes in the world. Around the lake you can do many water activities. Many of these activities can be done before or after your volunteering, as it is located in the south of the country bordering with Tanzania and Kenya.
Uganda is considered a safe country. But nothing is perfect, and as in many countries of the world you have to take certain precautions and know how to handle in certain areas.
In general, tourist areas are safe, but we also recommend that you keep these details in mind:
- Notify your coordinator, in case of any excursion.
- Have your coordinator’s phone number and the address where you are staying.
- Avoid giving information about where you are staying, about the project and your colleagues (volunteers).
- Do not take anyone who is not from the organization to the volunteer’s home.
- Avoid risk areas in every place you visit.
- Travel in austerity in your daily transfers and in your excursions.
- Avoid attracting attention with jewelry and accessories.
- If you can avoid taking out your mobile phone in public places.
- Try to use the country’s safe transport services.
- Avoid walking alone or alone on unfamiliar streets.
- Never get in an unknown vehicle or yours to someone you don’t know.
- Do not ingest any beverage from which you do not know the origin.
- From the moment you fill out the registration form for a program in Uganda we will keep the place for 7 days.
- To confirm your place definitely, you must pay a € 150 signal before 7 days, once the signal is paid, your place will be guaranteed and you will be formally part of the Adventure Volunteer family of volunteers.
- As soon as you make the payment of the program signal, we will send you an email to confirm that your place is safe where we will provide you with the volunteer guide, your shirt, mandatory insurance and the volunteer agreement.
- The rest of the payment is made one month before joining the project.