Volunteer Programs in Chile
Looking to learn and collaborate at the same time, volunteering in Chile are the ideal destination to have this experience.
The enthusiasm, motivation and interest that the volunteers show in learning about the Mapuche culture; manages to produce a space of mutual learning and cooperation between the families, the community and the volunteer.
In Chile we collaborate in the volunteer program in Chile with Mapuche families. The work is focused on the daily support of their activities such as: work and care of the garden, care and feeding of animals such as sheep, pigs, chickens, turkeys, among others; chopping and sorting firewood; help in the kitchen, both in cooking and washing, among other activities.
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT WITH MAPUCHE FAMILIES
The activities that the volunteers carry out in Chile are directly in the family house where you will live during your volunteer work.
Families usually live in rural areas relatively close to the center of Kurarewe.
Requirements for volunteering in Chile
Some of the most important requirements for volunteering in Chile are:
- Being of legal age
- Demonstrate respect for the Mapuche culture, forms and customs of each host family.
- Complying with the assigned schedule during the volunteering period.
- Respect schedules and agreements with the host family
You can consult the specific requirements that are requested in the section of the project.
Where will I be during my volunteer work in Chile?
The volunteer program in Chile is developed in the country of Chile, specifically in the community of Kurarewe, which is located 140 km from Temuco, capital of the Araucania Region.
When can I collaborate in the volunteer projects in Chile?
Volunteering in Chile is active throughout the year. However, due to the climatic conditions of the area and the cycle of rural activity in the Mapuche community, we suggest volunteering between the months of September and April, the period in which families are most active in the countryside.
ARRIVAL AT YOUR DESTINATION
Depending on the means of transportation used by the volunteer to get to Chile, you will be met by a local coordinator of the organization who will welcome you.
Depending on the time of arrival to the country and facilities of the project, you will be given an orientation of the house, project and activities to be carried out with the family.
Currently, before the world health crisis of March 2020, there is no mandatory vaccine to enter Chile.
VISA TO ENTER CHILE
For Spanish citizens who travel to Chile for a period of less than three months, they will need the following documents
- Round trip ticket
- Economic means (Economic solvency)
For stays of up to 90 days you do not need to apply for a visa, being a resident or of Spanish nationality. If you plan to extend your volunteer trip, you must request an extension from the local authorities, since if you do not do so you may be fined and expelled from the country.
Other nationalities please consult the requirements at the Chilean Embassy or Consulate in your country.
SECURITY IN CHILE
In Central America, Chile is considered a safe country. But nothing is perfect, and as in many countries in the world, certain precautions must be taken.
In general, tourist areas are safe, but we still recommend that you take these details into account:
- Notify your coordinator, in case of an excursion, so that he can warn you about the places.
- Have your coordinator’s phone number and address available in case you need it.
- Avoid giving out information about the place you are staying, the project and your colleagues (volunteers) for safety reasons.
- Do not bring anyone who is not from the organization to the volunteer’s home.
- Avoid risk areas in every place you visit.
- Travel in austerity on your daily transfers and excursions.
- Avoid attracting attention with jewelry and accessories.
- If you can, avoid taking your cell phone out in public places.
- Try to use the country’s safe transportation services or services such as Uber or cabs.
- Avoid walking alone on unfamiliar streets at night.
- Never put someone you don’t know in a vehicle you don’t know.
- Do not drink anything you do not know the origin of.
ACCOMMODATION IN MAPUCHE FAMILIES
The houses of the Mapuche families, where the volunteers live, are located 5 km from the center of Temuco.
WHAT DOES THE FAMILY OFFER?
- Shared room with other volunteers.
- Use of the common areas.
- The 3 meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) during your volunteer work
The contribution to the volunteer project in Chile for a period of 14 days is 185 €. In addition to the fixed contribution of 200€ to secure the place.
WHAT IS OFFERED
- Welcome to
- Accommodation during your volunteer stay
- 3 meals during your volunteer work
- 24/7 support from the Adventure Volunteer team
- Monitoring and evaluation of the program
- Project orientation and induction
- Certificate of weeks spent volunteering
- Guidance, advice and management in the choice of the program
- Civil Responsibility and accident insurance
- Tax Certificate
WHAT IS NOT OFFERED?
- Flight to Chile
- Visa, if necessary
- Internal transport or excursions
- Travel in or out of the country
- Travel Medical Insurance
- Drinks, diets and special meals
- Bottled water