VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS IN GREECE
Volunteer with sea turtles on the beaches of Greece, within the volunteering in Greece you will collaborate with other volunteers in night and day work on the Greek islands conserving sea turtles.
Together with the coordinators and volunteers you will live a natural and incredible experience in a paradisiacal destination without having to spend many hours flying.
SEA TURTLE CONSERVATION AND ENVIRONMENT PROGRAM
The main objective of the volunteer program in Greece is the conservation of sea turtles, i.e. to ensure as many hatchlings as possible, as well as to improve their quality of life.
Sea turtles are endangered and it is necessary to preserve the species in order to conserve marine biodiversity.
REQUIREMENTS TO VOLUNTEER IN GREECE
To be part of the Volunteer programs in Greece, it is not necessary any specific training, it is only required:
- Committed person, as you actively participate in natural activities, good physical shape to ride bikes and perform physical work.
- Willingness and ability to work in a team. This is important, as you will be collaborating with other volunteers.
- As a volunteer you must be flexible and adaptable, as well as comfortable with community life.
- Good conduct and respect for the team
- Be of legal age (+18)
WHERE WILL I BE WHILE VOLUNTEERING IN GREECE?
The volunteer projects in Greece take place in Argostoli, the city of the island with the most nightlife as it is the largest.
Volunteers are housed in apartments distributed by gender. The use of the bathroom and the rest of the apartment is for common use.
- The Argostoli volunteer’s house is only 5 minutes from the airport.
- There is a mini market about 15 minutes (1.3 km) walk away, has basic groceries (closed on weekends and overnight).
- Bicycle ride 3.5 to 4.0 km to a larger market.
- Option to pre-order groceries to be there when the volunteer arrives.
- Volunteers will be able to shop at large outdoor fruit/vegetable markets or grocery stores when in town for port surveys.
- Distance between 1 to 5 km by bicycle to some project beaches, 800 m walk to the nearest beach.
- Transportation in the organization’s van to reach the port and monitored beaches.
WHAT ARE THE ACTIVITIES INVOLVED IN VOLUNTEERING IN GREECE?
- Sea turtle mating observations
- Observation of photographic identification techniques
- Participation in drone surveys of harbor and feeding grounds (May)
- Beach profile studies
- Beach cleanup
- Plastic pollution assessment
- Sea turtle tagging (May to end of June)
- Rescues of injured sea turtles
- Recording of behavioral observations
- Monitoring of sea turtles in port
- Early morning beach nesting census on the beach
- Nest protection and relocation if needed
For more information, questions or assistance with a colleague of our team you can contact us via phone or Whatsapp here.
The steps to follow to register are as follows:
- Fill out the form to reserve your volunteering.
- Wait for our confirmation of availability.
- Make a 1st donation for the registration to the Adventure Volunteer association.
- You will receive an email with the volunteer agreement to be completed by you.
- You will return to us by email all the requested information and you will be able to purchase the flight.
- A few weeks before you start you will receive information from the local organization.
- Now you only have to pack your suitcase, you have a whole team that will make everything easier for you and you will be in contact at all times, so you don’t have to worry.
To be part of the volunteer programs in Sri Lanka, it is not necessary any specific training and it is only required:
- To be of legal age (possibility minor with guardian or parents).
- To be a participative and committed person.
- Be respectful of people, culture and customs.
- To know how to adapt and work in a team.
- Criminal record certificate for social work.
- Sign cooperation agreement and interview with our team.
- Appropriate clothing for the destination.
- Knowledge of English.
ACCOMMODATION FOR YOUR VOLUNTEER WORK IN GREECE
Volunteer accommodation is apartment style with shared rooms, you live with other volunteers of the same gender. All houses selected by the local organization have apartment-style accommodations with more volunteers.
The program includes accommodation in shared rooms. Shared use of bathrooms, kitchen, cooking utensils and research equipment.
Volunteer accommodation in Greece
What is the volunteer accommodation like?
- Bed in a shared room, in an apartment that you share with other volunteers of the same sex.
- Kitchen equipped to cook for you (meals not included).
- Laundry area (only cold water and hand washing).
A large balcony will accommodate group meetings and our dinners. Shared bathrooms have solar-heated hot water, and shared kitchens are equipped with cooking utensils, utensils and a shared fridge.
WHAT ARE THE MEALS LIKE?
Meals are not included
Argostoli’s location, close to the airport, is within walking distance of the beaches. A mini market, about a 15 minute walk away, has basic groceries and you will also be able to shop in Argostoli town when you are on shifts at the port. We also offer a pre-order option so that the basic “starter kit” of groceries will be there for you upon arrival.
WHAT WILL THE ARRIVAL AT THE DESTINATION BE LIKE?
The local organization will welcome you upon arrival in Kefalonia.
You can arrive in the following ways:
- Option 1: Direct flight to Kefalonia (EFL).
- Option 2: Flight to Athens (ATH) and then 1 hour flight to Kefalonia from Athens.
- Option 3: Flight to Athens (ATH) and then bus/ferry to Kefalonia 7 hours bus/ferry ride to Kefalonia from Athens.
WHEN CAN I GO TO THE VOLUNTEER PROGRAM IN GREECE?
The first start date of the 2-week program for the Argostoli house is Sunday, April 16, and every two weeks thereafter on a Sunday.
Arrival dates are as follows:
- April 16, 2010
- April 30, 2010
- May 14th
- May 28th
- June 11
- June 25
- July 9
- July 23rd
- August 6
- August 20
- September 3
- September 17
- October 1
- October 15
SECURITY IN GREECE
As in any country, you must take certain precautions and know how to handle yourself in certain zones and areas.
In general, tourist areas are safe, but we still recommend you to take these details into account:
- Notify your coordinator, in case you are going on an excursion.
- Have the phone numbers of your coordinator and the address where you are staying.
- Avoid giving out information about the place where you are staying, the project and your fellow volunteers.
- Avoid bringing anyone who is not from the organization to the volunteer’s house.
- Travel in austerity in your daily transfers and in your excursions, do not show your things.
- Kefalonia is an island with good safety indexes.
- If you can, avoid taking out your cell phone in public places.
- Try to use the safe transportation services of the country.
- Do not drink any beverage whose origin you do not know.
The financial contribution is divided into two parts:
- The registration that you will give as a donation to the Adventure Volunteer association. This contribution has a tax benefit of 80% that you can deduct in your income tax return.
- The remaining part of the cost of the program will go to the partner organization that we will send on your behalf as a substitute or you can deliver it directly to the project.
1 week is not possible. Weeks can be 2, 4 or 8.
WHAT IS OFFERED TO THE VOLUNTEER IN GREECE?
- Welcome to Kefalonia and accompaniment to the accommodation (if you land elsewhere you can coordinate the pick up with the local coordinator)
- Accommodation during your volunteer stay
- 24/7 support from the Adventure Volunteer team
- Program monitoring and evaluation
- Orientation and induction to the project
- Certificate of weeks spent volunteering
- Guidance, advice and management in the choice of the program
- Volunteer and liability insurance
- Tax deduction certificate
WHAT IS NOT OFFERED TO THE VOLUNTEER IN GREECE?
- Flight to Greece
- Meals during your volunteering
- Visa, if required
- Vaccinations, if required
- Internal transportation or excursions
- Travel within or outside the country
- Travel medical insurance
- Beverages, diets and special meals
- Bottled water
HOW TO BOOK MY VOLUNTEERING IN GREECE
Once you fill in the form, we will confirm your place within 24 hours.
Make the contribution of the registration and then your place will be guaranteed.
We will send you the guide and the international volunteer agreement