VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS IN GUATEMALA
You have always wanted to dedicate part of your time helping others through a volunteer programme in Guatemala.
Without a doubt, it is an experience where you put your knowledge into practice and improve your skills. At the same time you support communities, children and young people to achieve greater personal and professional growth.
We collaborate in several volunteer programmes in Guatemala, each one focused on a specific need, in the area of education, school revision, environment and health.
TEACHING AND TUTORING
We know that education is one of the most important ways for our children to improve their skills and knowledge. In this programme, teaching, sports and social gardening activities can be carried out in the community.
TEACHING WITH CHILDREN WITH DISABILITIES
In this project you will attend to children with different disabilities: ASD, attention deficit, hyperactivity, dysgraphia, dyslexia, sensory difficulties (deaf/blindness…), children of advanced age but not very mentally developed, motor problems, psychological problems, gifted, behavioural problems, etc.
FARM AND GARDEN SUPPORT PROGRAMME
Through the farm, students have the opportunity to learn about agriculture, farm animals and ornamental plant production.
The farm offers students experiential learning opportunities and practical environmental education.
Despite being one of the richest countries in Central America, Guatemala suffers from one of the highest levels of inequality in the world. This is why the importance of the volunteer in the health sector, which allows the whole community to have access to these services.
What are the requirements to volunteer in Guatemala?
Adventure Volunteer encourages people over the age of 18 who wish to do their bit to help others to be part of a volunteer programme in Guatemala.
As a volunteer you must meet the following minimum requirements:
- You are of legal age
- Committed person, as you actively participate in educational and social activities that require your commitment.
- Willingness and ability to work in a team. This is important, as you will be working with other volunteers and people from different cultures.
- In your volunteering you meet people with limited resources, different lifestyles and different work rhythms, so you need to be empathetic.
- As a volunteer you need to be flexible
For more information, questions or assistance with a colleague of our team you can contact us via phone or Whatsapp here.
The steps to follow to register are as follows:
- Fill out the form to reserve your volunteering.
- Wait for our confirmation of availability.
- Make a 1st donation for the registration to the Adventure Volunteer association.
- You will receive an email with the volunteer agreement to be completed by you.
- You will return to us by email all the requested information and you will be able to purchase the flight.
- A few weeks before you start you will receive information from the local organization.
- Now you only have to pack your suitcase, you have a whole team that will make everything easier for you and you will be in contact at all times, so you don’t have to worry.
To be part of the volunteer programs in Sri Lanka, it is not necessary any specific training and it is only required:
- To be of legal age (possibility minor with guardian or parents).
- To be a participative and committed person.
- Be respectful of people, culture and customs.
- To know how to adapt and work in a team.
- Criminal record certificate for social work.
- Sign cooperation agreement and interview with our team.
- Appropriate clothing for the destination.
- Knowledge of Spanish.
ACCOMMODATION IN SOCIAL PROGRAMS
All volunteers who collaborate in social volunteer projects in Guatemala stay with host families selected by the organization.
In the homestay you are offered 2 or 3 meals from Monday to Friday (depending on the agreement you wish).
Volunteer accommodation in social programs
HEALTH PROGRAM HOUSING
The volunteer stays in the volunteer’s house which is located in the same project, with shared rooms and bathroom as well.
This program includes 3 meals from Monday to Sunday.
Accommodation for health volunteers
During the following celebrations, meals are not included:
- December 24th – Christmas Eve
- January 1st – New Year’s Day
- Easter – Maundy Thursday and Good Friday (March or April)
- May (1st) – Labor Day
- June 30 – Army Day
- June 25th – Patron Saint’s Day of Antigua Guatemala
- September 15 – Guatemalan Independence Day
- August 15 – Jocotenango’s Patron Saint’s Day
- All Saints’ Day (November 1st)
WHAT WILL THE ARRIVAL AT THE DESTINATION BE LIKE?
When you arrive in Guatemala (La Aurora International Airport), which is located in the capital city of Guatemala, the local coordinator will give you directions on how to get to the program on your own, or you can arrange a transfer with him to pick you up at the airport (low cost).
Depending on what time you arrive, you will have the orientation day the same day or the next day. Basically we will tell you in a general way the basic rules of the house and the place where it is located.
VISA IN GUATEMALA
For people coming from Spain, no visa is required (other countries, please consult).
- Depending on the country of origin, a visa is not required for stays between 30 and 90 days.
- Passport in order and valid for at least six months.
- Ticket to leave the country.
SECURITY IN GUATEMALA
Guatemala is considered a safe country in Central America. But nothing is perfect, and as in many countries of the world, it is necessary to take certain precautions and know how to handle yourself in certain zones and areas of a country.
Generally the tourist areas are safe, but we still recommend you to keep these details in mind:
- Notify your coordinator, in case you are going on an excursion, so that he/she can warn you about the places.
- Keep your coordinator’s phone number and the address where you are staying handy in case you need it.
- Avoid giving out information about where you are staying, the project and your fellow volunteers for safety reasons.
- Do not bring anyone who is not from the organization to the volunteer’s house.
- Avoid risky areas in every place you visit.
- Travel frugally in your daily transfers and excursions.
- Avoid drawing attention to yourself with jewelry and accessories.
- If possible, avoid taking out your cell phone in public places.
- Try to use safe transportation services in the country or services such as Uber or cabs.
- Avoid walking alone on unfamiliar streets at night.
- Never take someone you do not know in an unfamiliar vehicle or in your own vehicle.
- Do not drink any beverage whose origin you do not know.
The financial contribution is divided into two parts:
- The registration fee, which you will donate to the Adventure Volunteer association. This contribution has a tax benefit of 80% which you can deduct in your income tax return.
- The remaining part of the cost of the programme will go to the partner organisation that we will send on your behalf as a substitute or you can hand it in directly to the project.
WHAT DOES VOLUNTEERING IN GUATEMALA OFFER?
- Meals, as indicated according to the project (Monday-friday)
- 24/7 support from the Adventure Volunteer team
- Programme orientation and induction
- Programme monitoring and evaluation
- Certificate of weeks spent volunteering
- Guidance, advice and management in the choice of the programme
- Accident and liability insurance
WHAT IS NOT OFFERED IN VOLUNTEERING IN GUATEMALA?
- Flight to Guatemala
- Airport pick-up
- Visa, if required
- Travel medical insurance
- Vaccinations, if necessary
- Internal transport or excursions
- Beverages, diet and special meals
- Travel within or outside the country
- Bottled water
How to book my volunteering in Guatemala?
Once you fill in the form to the programme, we will verify everything and confirm your place within 24 hours.
You pay the registration fee within 7 days, then your place will be guaranteed and you will be formally part of the family.
We send you the volunteer guide, compulsory insurances and the international volunteer agreement.