Volunteer Programs in Guatemala
Have you always wanted to travel and spend time helping others through a volunteer program in Guatemala?
Without a doubt, it is an experience in the volunteering in Guatemala where you put your knowledge into practice and improve your skills. At the same time you will support communities, children and youth to obtain a greater personal and professional growth.
We collaborate in 4 volunteer programs in Guatemala, each one focused on covering a need, in the area of teaching, school revision, sports and the environment.
TEACHING AND SCHOOL REINFORCEMENT IN GUATEMALA
We know that education is one of the most important means for our children to improve their skills and knowledge. The volunteer teaching and school reinforcement program in Guatemala works with the objective of providing educational assistance in basic but important subjects for the growth of every child.
SPORTS PROGRAMS IN GUATEMALA
In general, many young people use sports to disconnect from the negative things around them. The sports volunteer program in Guatemala provides an opportunity for these children to find motivation to achieve their goals.
SCHOOL GARDEN IN GUATEMALA
The volunteer in Guatemala has the opportunity to get involved and promote the sustainability of our natural context. The environment has turned out to be a priority in our time, due to the great deterioration that our actions have created.
EXTRACURRICULAR SUPPORT IN GUATEMALA
This project improves the lives of many marginalized children and young people in Antigua Guatemala.
REQUIREMENTS FOR VOLUNTEERING IN GUATEMALA?
Adventure Volunteer encourages people over the age of 18 who wish to do their part in helping others to be a part of a volunteer program in Guatemala.
As a volunteer, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be of legal age
- Be a committed person, as you actively participate in educational and social activities
- Willingness and ability to work in a team. This is important, as you will be working with other volunteers and people from different cultures.
- Be empathetic as you will meet people with limited resources, different lifestyles, and different work rhythms.
- Be flexible
WHERE WILL I BE DURING MY VOLUNTEERING IN GUATEMALA?
The projects of the volunteering in Guatemala are developed near Antigua Guatemala.
WHEN CAN YOU COLLABORATE ON VOLUNTEERING IN GUATEMALA?
All volunteer projects in Guatemala are available from:
- January to December, within the Guatemalan school period.
They remain closed during holidays and holidays.
ARRIVAL AT YOUR DESTINATION
When you arrive at the La Aurora International Airport, which is located in the capital city of Guatemala, the local coordinator will be waiting for you with a sign with your name on your way out. You will immediately be taken to the host family home, where you will stay until the end of your project.
Depending on what time you arrive, you will have the orientation day the same day or the next day. Basically we will tell you in general the basic rules of the house and the place where it is located.
Only the yellow fever vaccine is obligatory (in theory only for people who have spent some time in countries at risk).
- Quarantine not required
- Negative Rapid Antigen or PCR test within 72 hours of arrival
- Complete vaccination record
- Fill in the form to generate a QR code which you must present upon arrival in Guatemala
VISA TO ENTER GUATEMALA
For people coming from Spain, no visa is required, (other countries please consult).
- Depending on the country of origin, no visa is required for stays of between 30 and 90 days.
- Passport in order and valid for at least six months.
- Return ticket to leave the country.
SECURITY IN GUATEMALA
Guatemala is considered a safe country in Central America. But nothing is perfect, and as in many countries of the world, it is necessary to take certain precautions and know how to handle yourself in certain zones and areas of a country.
In general, tourist areas are safe, but we also recommend that you keep these details in mind:
- Notify your coordinator, in case you are going on an excursion, so that he/she can warn you about the places.
- Keep your coordinator’s phone number and the address where you are staying handy in case you need it.
- Avoid giving out information about where you are staying, the project and your fellow volunteers for safety reasons.
- Do not bring anyone who is not from the organization to the volunteer’s house.
- Avoid risky areas in every place you visit.
- Travel frugally in your daily transfers and excursions.
- Avoid drawing attention to yourself with jewelry and accessories.
- If possible, avoid taking out your cell phone in public places.
- Try to use safe transportation services in the country or services such as Uber or cabs.
- Avoid walking alone on unfamiliar streets at night.
- Never take someone you do not know in an unfamiliar vehicle or in your own vehicle.
- Do not drink any beverage whose origin you do not know.
HOST FAMILY ACCOMMODATION
All volunteers who collaborate in the volunteer projects in Guatemala are housed in houses of host families selected by the organization.
WHAT DOES ACCOMMODATION WITH FAMILIES INCLUDE?
- Bed in a shared room with other volunteers.
- 3 meals from Monday to Friday. On Saturdays only breakfast is provided and Sunday meals are not included.
- WIFI connection
Meals are not included during the following celebrations:
- December 24 – Christmas Eve
- January 1 – New Year’s Day
- Easter – Maundy Thursday and Good Friday (March or April)
- May 1 – Labor Day
- June 25 – Patronal Feast of Antigua Guatemala
- June 30 – Army Day
- September 15 – Independence Day of Guatemala
- August 15 – Patronal Feast of Jocotenango
- November 1 – All Saints Day
The contribution in the volunteering in Guatemala for a period of 14 days is 585€.
You will be able to deduct approximately 40% of the total economic contribution to the program by means of the tax certificate that we will give you.
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING IN A VOLUNTEERING IN GUATEMALA?
- Welcome at the airport.
- Accommodation in family homes.
- Meals, those indicated in the project
- Orientation Day and Program Induction.
- 24/7 support of the Adventure Volunteer team.
- Orientation and induction to the program.
- Monitoring and evaluation of the program.
- Certificate of weeks spent in your volunteering.
- Guide, advice and management in the choice of the program.
- Volunteer T-shirt
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN A VOLUNTEERING IN GUATEMALA?
- Flight to Guatemala.
- Visa, if necessary.
- Medical Insurance (mandatory).
- Vaccines, if necessary.
- Internal transport or excursions.
- Return to the airport on the last day.
- Drinks, diets and special meals.
- Travel inside or outside the country.