VOLUNTEER PROGRAMMES IN MEXICO
If you belong to the volunteer program in Mexico you will be able to know the rich history and plurality of the pre-Hispanic cultures of the country, live the experience of Mexican traditions, music and cuisine that its warm and colorful villages offer, as well as the attractions that the big cities in Mexico they offer.
And above all you can approach very interesting local experiences and ways of life in the volunteering in Mexico.
Volunteering programmes in Mexico focus on supporting local organisations focused on education, environmental preservation, social and community development, taking into account the multiple needs found throughout the country.
FUNCTIONAL DIVERSITY AND SPECIAL NEEDS
The aim is for children to successfully acquire skills such as writing, drawing, learning and communicating effectively and affectively.
ANIMAL AWARENESS AND VALUES EDUCATION WITH CHILDREN
In this beautiful programme you will be able to intertwine your passions, you will be able to work with the dogs and cats of the area, as it is a project where they are protected as they are in a situation of street, abandonment and mistreatment, as well as join your collaboration carrying out tasks of awareness in values and support to the children of the area.
SEA TURTLE CONSERVATION
You will be able to collaborate in the Pacific of Mexico helping to preserve the species of sea turtles in two different beach areas. It can be either in group mode with dates indicated or individually choosing your own starting dates.
HOME FOR CHILDREN IN POVERTY
This children’s home in Chiapas seeks to improve the situation of vulnerability of these young people who have found themselves on the streets due to situations they did not choose, such as parental abuse, abandonment, exploitation or parents in detoxification centres.
TEACHING AND TUTORING
We seek to enhance the learning of children with learning difficulties through collaborative work environments.
SCHOOL AND COMMUNITY GARDENS
Our duty is to raise awareness among our children and young people about environmental, domestic and community care to ensure healthy food.
SHARK RESEARCH AND CONSERVATION
Enjoy the ocean while volunteering at the same time. It is very important for the conservation of the environment and species to contribute to the conservation of shark species. The volunteer will be with professionals in marine biology.
Requirements for volunteering in Mexico?
All volunteers who want to be part of a volunteer programme in Mexico must:
- Be of legal age
- Be a committed person
- Be willing and able to work in a team
- Be empathetic
- Be flexible and adaptable
Where will I be during my volunteering in Mexico?
All projects are located in Tlaxcala and San Cristóbal de las Casas, except for the sea turtle projects in Puerto Escondido and Costa de Oaxaca.
The shark programme is located in La Paz.
For more information, questions or assistance with a colleague of our team you can contact us via phone or Whatsapp here.
The steps to follow to register are as follows:
- Fill out the form to reserve your volunteering.
- Wait for our confirmation of availability.
- Make a 1st donation for the registration to the Adventure Volunteer association.
- You will receive an email with the volunteer agreement to be completed by you.
- You will return to us by email all the requested information and you will be able to purchase the flight.
- A few weeks before you start you will receive information from the local organization.
- Now you only have to pack your suitcase, you have a whole team that will make everything easier for you and you will be in contact at all times, so you don’t have to worry.
To be part of the volunteer programs in Sri Lanka, it is not necessary any specific training and it is only required:
- To be of legal age (possibility minor with guardian or parents).
- To be a participative and committed person.
- Be respectful of people, culture and customs.
- To know how to adapt and work in a team.
- Criminal record certificate for social work.
- Sign cooperation agreement and interview with our team.
- Appropriate clothing for the destination.
- Knowledge of Spanish.
ACCOMMODATION IN YOUR VOLUNTEER IN MEXICO IN TURTLES AND SOCIAL PROGRAMS
Accommodation in each of the programs is in volunteer houses with shared rooms and use of common areas, such as living room, kitchen, bathroom.
They are located in safe areas, and will always be with the coordination of the program.
Volunteer accommodation in social programs in Tlaxcala
Volunteer housing in Chiapas home program
What is the volunteer accommodation like?
- Bed in a room shared with other volunteers.
- Self service breakfast (Tlaxcala only).
- All meals at Tortugas group.
- Use of common areas.
- Use of washing machine.
- WIFI (Internet).
ACCOMMODATION IN SHARK PROGRAM
It is a private studio for each volunteer with kitchen and private bathroom. It also has Wifi, and is located about 15 minutes by bike from the project.
It is located in a safe area and there are several supermarkets nearby.
Accommodation of volunteers in shark program
What is the volunteer accommodation like?
- Bed in private room.
- Kitchen and private bathroom.
- Use of washing machine.
- WIFI (Internet).
WHAT WILL THE ARRIVAL AT THE DESTINATION BE LIKE?
In the case of Tlaxcala, the time and point for welcoming the volunteer may vary depending on the availability of buses at the airport. The pick-up will take place at the bus terminal in Puebla (low cost).
Once at the Benito Juarez International Airport in Mexico City, the volunteer must board a bus that leaves from inside the airport, through the company “Estrella Roja” or “ADO” to Puebla. Depending on time availability, you must choose the Puebla terminal to be reached: CAPU, 4 poniente or Plaza San Diego.
When taking the bus, volunteers must notify the local coordinator of their arrival point in Tlaxcala. The local coordinator will at all times give you directions to your lodging.
In the case of San Cristobal de las Casas and the Animal Awareness and Values Education Program with children (Chiapas) you should arrive at the terminal and in the same way following the instructions of the local coordinator, get to the lodging.
In the case of Puerto Escondido and Oaxaca (sea turtles) you should arrive at the airport of Puerto Escondido, Bahias de Huatulco International Airport. Once you arrive you will follow the directions of the coordinator.
Finally, in the case of the volunteer in La Paz, shark program, the volunteer must arrive at the La Paz International Airport. There someone from the local coordinators team will pick you up and take you to your accommodation. Once you arrive you will be explained how to proceed on a daily basis.
In all the programs you will have an orientation day where the basic rules of the volunteer’s house, its location and environment will be explained, as well as the program you have chosen to participate in.
VISA IN MEXICO
Depending on the country of origin a visa is not required for stays between 30 and 90 days. In the case of Mexico from Spain, no visa is required for 90 days.
- Passport in order and with a validity of at least six months.
- Ticket to leave the country.
SECURITY IN MEXICO
Taking into account the problems of insecurity in Latin America and particularly in Mexico, we recommend that you consider the following:
- Let your coordinator know where you are going if you decide to go on an excursion so that he/she can let you know where you are going.
- Always have the coordinator’s phone number and the address where you are staying.
- Avoid giving out information about the house, the work sites and the rest of the volunteers for safety reasons.
- Do not take anyone outside the organization to the volunteer’s home.
- Recognize and avoid risky areas in each city you visit.
- Travel frugally in your daily transfers and excursions.
- Avoid wearing flashy clothing: very revealing or expensive clothing (jewelry).
- Avoid taking out your cell phone in public.
- Use the service of “safe cabs” or services such as Uber or Pronto.
- Avoid walking alone on the street at night.
- Never get into your vehicle with strangers.
- Do not drink any beverage whose origin you do not know.
The financial contribution is divided into two parts:
- The registration fee, which you will donate to the Adventure Volunteer association. This contribution has a tax benefit of 80% which you can deduct in your income tax return.
- The remaining part of the cost of the programme will go to the partner organisation that we will send in your name as a substitute or you can hand it in directly to the project.
|WEEKS||Individual turtles from January to October||Turtles group||Teaching, Special needs or gardens in Tlaxcala||Chiapas Home||Sharks||Animal awareness|
|2||950€ (January-October) 860 (Nov-Dec)||1080€||495€||495€||1460€||545€|
WHAT IS VOLUNTEERING IN MEXICO?
- Airport pick-up and drop-off (Tiburones)
- Accommodation during your volunteering
- Breakfast every day (Tlaxcala only)
- All meals included in Tortugas group (except on free leisure days)
- Transportation included in Tortugas group and individual (except on free leisure days)
- 24/7 support from the Adventure Volunteer team
- Programme monitoring and evaluation
- Orientation and induction to the programme
- Certificate of weeks spent volunteering
- Tax certificate
- Guidance, advice and management in choosing the programme
- Private bed for couples in Tlaxcala (additional cost)
- Bicycle (Tiburones)
WHAT IS NOT OFFERED IN VOLUNTEERING IN MEXICO?
- Visa if necessary
- Vaccinations if necessary
- Travel medical insurance
- Internal transport and excursions
- Beverages or special diets or meals
- Meals are not included at Animal Awareness, Sharks, Casa Hogar and individual Turtles.
- Bottled water
- Travel within or outside the country
How to get involved in volunteer in Mexico?
Once you fill in the form to the programme, we will verify and confirm your place.
The registration fee must be paid within 7 days, then your place will be guaranteed and you will be part of the family.
We send you the volunteer guide, compulsory insurances and the international volunteer agreement.