VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS IN PERU
This country envelops its visitors with its mysticism and the architectural fusion of the Archaic and Colonial eras. You’ll be able to discover its unstoppable nightlife and adventure activities while volunteering in Peru.
While there you will discover that there is more to it than what you are told or have heard from travelers who have passed through Peru.
Every volunteer project in Peru is focused on meeting a need. Your collaboration in any one of these projects is of great help in the education of children and youth in the Andean communities of Cusco, as well as in the empowerment of women. During the pandemic, social (non-medical) programs will be held from Sunday to Thursday.
TEACHING AND SCHOOL REINFORCEMENT
Aimed at providing social assistance to children and adolescents who come from families in the High Andean communities of Cusco, specifically families in social exclusion.
SUPPORT HOSPITALS AND MEDICAL CENTERS
Are you studying a certain medical field, or do you happen to be a specialist already? If so, we encourage you to be a part of the volunteer project in hospitals and medical centers that belong to the communities in Cusco.
We support poor children in Cusco through playful, spiritual and computer activities, games, dances and help with homework.
REQUIREMENTS TO BE A VOLUNTEER IN PERU
During your volunteering in Peru, you should keep in mind that you are going to live with children, teenagers and communities, which have a totally different culture from yours, so the volunteer is expected to be a respectful, empathetic, dynamic, creative and participatory person, in addition to:
- Pass the Adventure Volunteer registration and interview process.
- Very open mind.
- Presentation of the criminal record certificate.
- Photocopy of your passport.
- Have a flight out of the country.
- Be of legal age.
In each project of volunteering in Peru, you can consult the requirements that are requested.
WHERE WILL I BE DURING MY VOLUNTEERING IN PERU?
For the projects in volunteering in Peru you will be located in two different points for the three programs, the project of teaching and school revision, is in the center of Cusco very close to the Plaza de Armas where the Hostel is attached to the care of children and youth.
The San Gerónimo neighbourhood is 20 minutes by bus from the centre of Cusco. It is a traditional Peruvian neighbourhood where you can buy in neighbourhood markets, where the houses for the volunteers are located. The coordinator also lives on one of the floors of the house.
WHEN CAN YOU COLLABORATE ON VOLUNTEER PROJECTS IN PERU?
- Teaching and school reinforcement, it is open all year round.
- Women’s leadership open all year.
- After-school support from March to mid-December.
See specifications of times and arrival dates in each program through its link.
ARRIVAL AT YOUR DESTINATION
On your arrival at the Alejandro Velasco Astete (CUZ) International Airport, located 3.7 km from the city of Cusco, you will be picked up by one of the coordinators (taxi) of the organization, which will have a small sign with your name on the exit. You will be recognized by the photo you sent us in the form.
The taxi driver will take you to the lodging where he will show you the room and the common areas of the house.
Once in Cusco, volunteers have the accompaniment and support of local staff. The local team has the capacity to handle different situations, from airport pick-up to emergencies.
IMPORTANT FACTS TO KEEP IN MIND WHEN ARRIVING IN CUSCO
- If you don’t have local currency, don’t worry, Ingrith (the coordinator) can guide you to places where you can do the currency exchange.
- If you want to have data (internet) outside the accommodation facilities, you can buy a local SIM card (movistar, of course, entel, bitel) that costs around 8$ and you can recharge it with scratch cards and activate an internet plan.
Only the yellow fever vaccine is mandatory, in theory only for people who have been to countries at risk at some point. Also consult the embassy of each country weeks before flying in case they require to show the vaccination card.
We suggest that you consult with your medical advisor about the recommended vaccinations for this region. Also, in most Latin American countries vaccinations are not mandatory.
VISA TO ENTER PERU
For Spanish nationals, no visa is required, (other countries consult the Peruvian Embassy in your country).
- Depending on the country of origin, no visa is required for stays of between 30 and 90 days.
- Passport in order and valid for at least six months.
- Ticket of exit of the country.
SECURITY IN PERU, CUSCO
Cuzco is very quiet and safe. But nothing is perfect, and as in many places in the world you have to take certain precautions and know how to drive in certain areas of a city.
Tourist areas are generally safe, but we still recommend that you keep these details in mind:
- In case of an excursion, inform your coordinator, so that he can warn you about the places.
- Have the address where you are staying and the phone number of your coordinator in case you need it.
- Avoid giving out information about where you are staying, the project and your fellow volunteers for safety.
- Do not take anyone other than the organization to the volunteer’s home and the project.
- Avoid risk zones in every place you visit.
- Travel in austerity in your daily transfers and on your excursions.
- Avoid attracting attention with jewelry and accessories.
- If you can avoid taking your mobile phone out in public places.
- Try to use the country’s safe transport services or services such as Uber or taxis.
- Avoid walking alone on unknown streets at night.
- Never put someone you don’t know into an unknown vehicle, or someone you don’t know into yours.
- Do not drink any drink of which you do not know the origin.
HOME AND HOSTEL ACCOMMODATION FOR VOLUNTEERS IN PERU
The different accommodations for volunteers are in downtown Cusco and the San Jeronimo neighborhood.
Depending on the program that the volunteer chooses, he or she will be assigned to one lodging or another, which can be in
- Volunteer houses or hostel
WHAT DOES ACCOMMODATION INCLUDE IN CUSCO?
- Bunk beds, in a room shared with other volunteers.
- Use of common areas.
- Breakfast during your volunteering (only in hostel).
- WIFI connection (internet).
- Laundry use
In some accommodation the laundry is low cost and you have areas to wash by hand.
The contribution in the volunteer projects in Peru, Cusco for a period of 14 days is from 390€ and with the tax deduction you will only pay 186€
You will be able to deduct approximately 45% of the total economic contribution to the program by means of the tax certificate that we will give you.
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING FOR A VOLUNTEERING IN PERU?
- Welcome and transfer to the accommodation.
- Accommodation during the stay of your volunteer.
- 1 meal during your volunteer stay.
- 24/7 support from the Adventure Volunteer team.
- Monitoring and evaluation of the program.
- Orientation and induction to the project.
- Certificate of weeks spent volunteering.
- Receipt from NGOs about your program fee.
- Guidance, advice and management in the choice of the program.
- CR and accident insurance.
- Volunteer t-shirt.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN A VOLUNTEERING IN PERU?
- Flight to Peru.
- Return to the airport on the last day.
- Visa, if necessary.
- Internal transportation or excursions.
- Trips inside or outside the country.
- Travel insurance (mandatory).
- Drinks, diets and special meals.
- Bottled water.
We remind you that the value of the donation can be deducted from your full income tax liability, up to a limit of 10% of the taxable base.
- Donations up to 150 :(donation equal to or less than 150), the deduction will be 80%
- Donations over 150 euros: (donation over 150 ?), will be 35% and 40% if made for more than 3 years in a row of the same value or more to the same association.
NOTE: There is a deduction from the IRPF for donations made to non-profit organisations under Law 49/2002, of 23 December. established in Articles 68.3, 69.1 IRPF Law and 69.2 Regulations. Royal Decree-Law 17/2020 of 5 May. (refunds are made in the year following payment). As a donation, the 150 euros initially contributed are not refundable.