VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS IN PERU
This country envelops its visitors with its mysticism and the architectural fusion of the Archaic and Colonial eras. You’ll be able to discover its unstoppable nightlife and adventure activities while volunteering in Peru.
While there you will discover that there is more to it than what you are told or have heard from travelers who have passed through Peru.
Each volunteer project in Peru is focused on meeting a need. Your collaboration in one of these projects is of great help in the education of children and young people in the Andean communities of Cusco, as well as in the empowerment of women, and in the medical programme.
EMPOWERMENT OF WOMEN IN THE COMMUNITY
The aim is to collaborate with working mothers in social canteens, to offer them tools so that they can carry out their work better and to share talks on how to become socio-economically independent without depending on other figures.
CONSTRUCTION, ORGANIC GARDEN AND FARM WORK
This volunteer project in Peru involves helping to build, rebuild and maintain everything the community needs. You will be in direct contact with the people of the community and will attend to their needs regarding the facilities. In addition, the volunteer will collaborate in farm activities with the animals of the community and the families.
Enjoy volunteering in a group or individually.
TEACHING AND SCHOOL REINFORCEMENT IN PERU
Aimed at providing social assistance to children and adolescents coming from disadvantaged families in Cusco, families in social exclusion and working mothers in canteens.
In this programme, attractive dynamics are used to educate in an alternative way. Within the educational system there are about 60 children, from infants to five years old, using active Peruvian-European methodology.
It re-evaluates functional Peruvian educational methodologies and incorporates the European cradle model in which the infant is the builder of his or her own learning through early stimulation, routines and play.
TEACHING PROGRAMME WITH CHILDREN WITH FUNCTIONAL DIVERSITY
A social project that provides care for children with physical and mental disabilities, carrying out play and teaching activities in the Inti Raimy community in the district of Santiago, there are five children who are under this condition, three have mental disabilities and two have physical disabilities.
COMMUNICATION AND VISIBILITY
Project to give visibility to development projects in order to get external aid to benefit the projects of the communities.
With your help in networks, mail and articles we will be able to give scholarships to more children in the montessori school, provide more and better food to the Inti Raimy community, help children in the communities to have a quality education, as well as help women with their daily tasks. The work in this indirect project is very important for everything to make sense and to be able to continue supporting the communities.
SUPPORT AT MEDICAL CENTRE IN PERU
If you are studying a branch of medicine or you are already a specialist, we encourage you to be part of the volunteer project in Peru in the medical post and communities in Cusco.
SOCIAL DINING ROOM
Social project that provides food to the community. Together with the neighbourhood staff, the volunteer generates the preparation of food (lunch) in the peri-urban area of the city. Food is provided to the population living around the community, at low cost and in some cases free of charge (social cases).
The beneficiaries are around 90 people, including pregnant women, children, older adults, abandoned mothers and people with disabilities.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR VOLUNTEERING IN PERU?
While volunteering in Peru, you must take into account that you will be living with children, teenagers and communities, which have a totally different culture from yours, so the volunteer is expected to be a respectful, empathetic, dynamic, creative and participative person:
- Pass the Adventure Volunteer interview process
- Very open minded
- Proof of criminal record if you are working with minors
- Photocopy of your passport
- Be of legal age
For more information, questions or assistance with a colleague of our team you can contact us via phone or Whatsapp here.
The steps to follow to register are as follows:
- Fill out the form to reserve your volunteering.
- Wait for our confirmation of availability.
- Make a 1st donation for the registration to the Adventure Volunteer association.
- You will receive an email with the volunteer agreement to be completed by you.
- You will return to us by email all the requested information and you will be able to purchase the flight.
- A few weeks before you start you will receive information from the local organization.
- Now you only have to pack your suitcase, you have a whole team that will make everything easier for you and you will be in contact at all times, so you don’t have to worry.
To be part of the volunteer programs in Sri Lanka, it is not necessary any specific training and it is only required:
- To be of legal age (possibility minor with guardian or parents).
- To be a participative and committed person.
- Be respectful of people, culture and customs.
- To know how to adapt and work in a team.
- Criminal record certificate for social work.
- Sign cooperation agreement and interview with our team.
- Appropriate clothing for the destination.
- Knowledge of Spanish.
ACCOMMODATION WHILE VOLUNTEERING IN PERU
The different accommodations for volunteers are located in Cusco center.
Depending on the program the volunteer chooses, he/she will be assigned to one accommodation or another, which can be in:
- Volunteer houses or hostels
Volunteer accommodation in Peru
What is the volunteer accommodation like?
- Bunk beds in a room shared with other volunteers.
- Use of common areas.
- WIFI connection (internet).
- Use of laundry facilities.
In some accommodations the laundry is low cost and you have areas for hand washing.
WHAT WILL THE ARRIVAL AT THE DESTINATION BE LIKE?
Upon arrival at the Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport (CUZ), located 3.7 km from the city of Cusco, you will be welcomed by one of the coordinators of the local organization (Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays if you are doing programs in Cusco).
The local coordinator will take you to the accommodation, where you will be shown the room and the common areas of the house.
Once in Cusco, volunteers have the accompaniment and support of the local staff. The local staff has the capacity to handle different situations, from airport pick-up to emergencies.
In case your arrival is not on Friday, Saturday or Sunday, you can contact the local organization and arrange for a cab to pick you up at a low cost (10-15 dollars approximately).
IMPORTANT FACTS TO KEEP IN MIND WHEN ARRIVING IN CUSCO
- If you do not have local currency, do not worry, the coordinator can guide you to places where you can exchange currency.
- If you want to have data (internet) outside the accommodation facilities, you can buy a local SIM card (movistar, claro, entel, bitel) that costs around 8$ and you can recharge it with scratch cards and activate an internet plan.
VISA IN PERU
For Spaniards, no visa is required (for other countries, please consult the Peruvian Embassy in your country).
- Depending on the country of origin, a visa is not required for stays between 30 and 90 days.
- Passport in order and valid for at least six months.
- Ticket to leave the country.
SECURITY IN PERU
Cusco is very quiet and safe. But nothing is perfect, and as in many places in the world you have to take certain precautions and know how to handle yourself in certain areas of a city.
Generally tourist areas are safe, but we still recommend you to take these details into account:
- If you are going on an excursion, let your coordinator know so that he/she can inform you about the places.
- Keep the address where you are staying and your coordinator’s phone number handy in case you need it.
- Avoid giving out information about where you are staying, the project and your fellow volunteers for safety reasons.
- Do not bring anyone who is not from the organization to the volunteer’s house and to the project.
- Avoid risky areas in every place you visit.
- Travel frugally in your daily transfers and on your excursions.
- Avoid drawing attention to yourself with jewelry and accessories.
- If you can, avoid taking out your cell phone in public places.
- Try to use safe transportation services in the country or services such as Uber or cabs.
- Avoid walking alone on unfamiliar streets at night.
- Never take someone you do not know in an unfamiliar vehicle or in your own vehicle.
- Do not drink any beverage whose origin you do not know.
The financial contribution is divided into two parts:
- The registration fee, which you will donate to the Adventure Volunteer association. This contribution has a tax benefit of 80% which you can deduct in your income tax return.
- The remaining part of the cost of the programme will go to the partner organisation that we will send on your behalf as a substitute or you can hand it in directly to the project.
|WEEKS||CUSCO CHILDREN WOMEN AND SOUP KITCHEN||VISIBILITY AND CONTENT||CUSCO MEDICAL||CONSTRUCTION|
WHAT IS PROVIDED IN VOLUNTEERING?
- Welcome at the airport on Friday, Saturday and Sunday in Cusco programmes.
- Accommodation during your volunteer stay
- 24/7 support from the Adventure Volunteer team
- Programme monitoring and evaluation
- Orientation and induction to the project
- Certificate of weeks spent volunteering
- Guidance, advice and management in the choice of the programme
- RC and volunteering insurance
WHAT IS NOT PROVIDED IN VOLUNTEERING?
- Flight to Peru
- Visa, if required
- Internal transport or excursions
- Travel within or outside the country
- Travel medical insurance
- Beverages, diets and special meals
- Bottled water
HOW TO GET INVOLVED IN VOLUNTEERING IN PERU?
Once you fill in the programme form, we will confirm your place within 24 hours.
Pay the registration fee within 7 days, then your place will be guaranteed and you will be part of the family.
We send you the volunteer guide, s and the international volunteer agreement.