Volunteer programs in Thailand
Thailand, the country of flavors, temples and a very extensive history. As a volunteer in Thailand it will catch your attention from day one. By volunteering in Thailand you have the opportunity to live and get to know the reality of many people in this country.
We collaborate in 4 volunteer programs in Thailand, each program focused on meeting a need, in the education of children, in the care of elephants and support in Buddhist temples and universities.
ELEPHANTS IN THAILAND
Get to know Thailand by volunteering with elephants, respecting their natural habitat and protecting them from abduction for exposure to tourism.
SUPPORT IN SOCIAL ORPHANAGE IN THAILAND
Throughout your volunteer work, you will receive many smiles and love from the children. We encourage you to share some of your time with these children.
TEACHING ENGLISH TO BUDDHIST MONKS IN THAILAND
Teaching Buddhist monks in Thailand is a world apart, you can be part of this life experience through volunteering.
TEACHING ENGLISH TO CHILDREN IN THAILAND
With dedication the young children have the possibility to finish their studies and learn new tools through the support of a volunteer in Thailand.
REQUIREMENTS FOR VOLUNTEERING IN THAILAND?
In a Volunteering in Thailand you will need:
- To pass the Adventure Volunteer forms and interview process
- Certificate of criminal record
- Photocopy of passport
- Good level of English, since all subjects are taught in this language
- Flight out of the country to participate in the programs
- Be of legal age
To cooperate in the volunteer program in Thailand, you must keep in mind that you will participate with volunteers of all nationalities and contribute your knowledge to Thai young people who have a totally different culture from the West. You must respect the clothing, religion and rules of the centers and projects.
WHERE WILL I BE DURING MY VOLUNTEERING IN THAILAND?
When volunteering in Thailand, you must arrive in the city of Chiang Mai on a Friday (Friday of the beginning of the program) between 8am and 8pm.
- Buying the flight from your home city you can get directly to Chiang Mai on the same flight you buy.
- If what you decide is to stop for a few days in Bangkok, then you can also go to Chiang Mai, by means of the overnight sleeper train, with a domestic flight or bus.
No matter what means of transportation you choose, you will always be welcomed at the train station, bus station, or airport as long as you come within the start dates of the program and within the indicated hours, from 8am to 8pm.
WHEN CAN YOU COLLABORATE ON VOLUNTEER PROJECTS IN THAILAND?
- Support in social orphanages are available year-round, except the holiday months in Thailand (April).
- Teaching with Buddhist monks are available year-round except the months of April and October.
- English language teaching in schools is open all year, except in April and October.
- Elephant care and protection center is open to volunteers year-round except the month of April.
When to go to Thailand
Project start days, the arrival day will be on Friday
|Day of arrival||Start of project|
|may 13th||May 16|
|June 6th||3 of June|
|June 17||June 20th|
|1st of July||July 4th|
|July 15||July 18|
|July 29||August 1|
|August 12||August 15th|
|september 2||September 5|
|September 16 (schools close)||September 19 (elephants only)|
|September 31||October 3 (elephants only)|
|October 14th||October 17 (elephants only)|
|November 4 (schools open)||November 7|
|November 18th||November 21|
|December 2||December 5th|
|December 16||Decembre 19th|
ARRIVAL AT YOUR DESTINATION
When you arrive at Chiang Mai International Airport, the carrier of the local organization will be waiting for you with a sign with your name. It will recognize you by the photo you sent us attached in the extended form. It will take you to the place where you are staying according to your chosen project.
The first 2 days of arriving in Thailand are for induction and guidance (Saturday and Sunday), which includes the following:
- Guidance on Thai culture, including data to move around the country.
- A half-day city tour in the main sites and local markets.
- Introductory Thai language course that covers basic words and phrases.
- Information on local transport, including how to get to the project.
In summary, the coordinators work hard to ensure that your volunteer project runs smoothly. They also help volunteers with any problems, misunderstandings or challenges they encounter during their project.
Only the yellow fever vaccine is required (in theory only for people who have spent time in countries at risk).
We suggest that you consult your medical advisor about the recommended vaccinations for this region.
VISA TO ENTER THAILAND
For people coming from Spain, no visa is required, (other countries consult). Take a look at the requirements according to your nationality.
SECURITY IN THAILAND
Thailand is considered a safe country. But nothing is perfect, and as in many countries of the world you have to take certain precautions and know how to handle in certain areas and areas of the city.
In general, tourist areas are safe, but we also recommend that you keep these details in mind:
- Notify your coordinator, in case of any excursion.
- Have your coordinator’s phone number and the address where you are staying.
- Avoid giving information about where you are staying, about the project and your colleagues (volunteers).
- Do not take anyone who is not from the organization to the volunteer’s home.
- Avoid risk areas in every place you visit.
- Travel in austerity in your daily transfers and in your excursions.
- Avoid attracting attention with jewelry and accessories.
- If you can avoid taking out your mobile phone in public places.
- Try to use the country’s safe transport services.
- Avoid walking alone or alone on unfamiliar streets.
- Never get in an unknown vehicle or yours to someone you don’t know.
- Do not ingest any beverage from which you do not know the origin.
HOST FAMILY ACCOMMODATION
The different accommodation for volunteers who go to the projects in Chiang Mai are located in a central and safe area, the three houses where the volunteers sleep in Chiang Mai, are only 5 minutes walk from the local office of the organization.
WHAT DOES THE ACCOMMODATION INCLUDE?
- Bed in a shared room with other volunteers. These rooms have sheets, pillows, air conditioning, which gives a respite to the hot and sunny days of northern Thailand.
- The houses have living areas in case the volunteer likes to watch a movie, read a book, talk to the family or just relax after a day at work.
- The meals included in the volunteer program are: breakfast and lunch. The food is provided to the volunteers in the projects.
For dinners (which are not included, the volunteer can use the kitchen that is in the house where he is staying or go to cheap and delicious restaurants of Thai food, you can also go to international restaurants that are only minutes from the volunteer houses .
The contribution in the volunteer projects in Thailand for a period of 14 days is 800€.
WHAT ARE YOU PAYING IN THE VOLUNTEERING IN THAILAND?
- Meals (for volunteering with elephants)
- Accommodation in shared rooms
- Two days of orientation in Chiang Mai
- Tax certificate
- 24/7 support of the Adventure Volunteer team.
- Liability and volunteer insurance
- Guide, advice and management in the choice of the program.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE VOLUNTEERING IN THAILAND?
- Flight to Thailand
- Visa, if necessary
- Health Insurance (mandatory)
- Internal transport or excursions
- Return to the airport on the last day
- Travel in or out of the country
- Vaccinations, if required
- Personal travel and sightseeing
- Beverages, diets and special meals
- Bottled water