VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS IN UGANDA
Were you looking for a volunteer project in Uganda to be part of? You have found the right place. This is your chance to experience one of the most exciting adventures international volunteering has to offer.
The country will not only amaze you with its nature, climate and cuisine, but also with its culture and people.
As a volunteer you can participate in a variety of projects that are open at your destination. Volunteering in Uganda will fill your soul. All you need is your knowledge and skills to help.
TEACHING AND TUTORING
The project aims to contribute to the academic development of the school in order to provide the best opportunity for orphans to receive a quality education. Volunteers support the local teachers, encourage the students and play with them. Always instilling a good study and learning dynamic.
The volunteer will help those children whose families have no resources or who have no family. They will be in the day to day life of these children, trying to meet their needs.
EMPOWERMENT PROGRAM WITH WOMEN AND GIRLS
The volunteer works with the women’s community to promote their development. They collaborate on their own land and also help them in teaching and developing new skills.
What are the requirements to volunteer in Uganda?
As a volunteer in volunteering in Uganda, you are very important for the development of the volunteer programmes. To participate in some of the volunteer projects in which we collaborate does not require you to be an expert or to have a specific speciality, only if you meet these requirements you can participate:
- 18 years of age or older
- Willingness to collaborate in various activities
- Be a participative and committed person
- Good conduct and be respectful of the people you work with and the community.
- You must be aware of the culture and customs of the country you are working in.
- Ability to work in a team
Where will I be during my volunteering in Uganda?
The project is located in the town of Jinja, in the south west of the country, a few kilometres from Ecuador. It is a quiet, very safe village surrounded by valleys and mountains.
For more information, questions or assistance with a colleague of our team you can contact us via phone or Whatsapp here.
The steps to follow to register are as follows:
- Fill out the form to reserve your volunteering.
- Wait for our confirmation of availability.
- Make a 1st donation for the registration to the Adventure Volunteer association.
- You will receive an email with the volunteer agreement to be completed by you.
- You will return to us by email all the requested information and you will be able to purchase the flight.
- A few weeks before you start you will receive information from the local organization.
- Now you only have to pack your suitcase, you have a whole team that will make everything easier for you and you will be in contact at all times, so you don’t have to worry.
To be part of the volunteer programs in Sri Lanka, it is not necessary any specific training and it is only required:
- To be of legal age (possibility minor with guardian or parents).
- To be a participative and committed person.
- Be respectful of people, culture and customs.
- To know how to adapt and work in a team.
- Criminal record certificate for social work.
- Sign cooperation agreement and interview with our team.
- Appropriate clothing for the destination.
- Knowledge of English.
VOLUNTEER HOMESTAY IN UGANDA
In Uganda volunteers sleep in the volunteer’s house, in rooms with volunteers of the same gender (approx. 4 volunteers per room). On a weekly basis the house keeper will change the bed linen.
- All beds are equipped with a mosquito net.
- Wifi, electricity and drinking water are available in the volunteer’s house (it is also recommended that the volunteer buys bottled water to drink).
Volunteer accommodation in Uganda
What is offered in the accommodation?
- The house keeper will provide you with daily meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
- At breakfast you will have at your disposal bread, butter, jam, honey, hard boiled eggs and fruits such as: watermelon, pineapple and bananas. For lunch you usually eat rice with peanut sauce, pasta with meat, guacamole beans and traditional Ugandan vegetables. Dinner is served between 7 and 8 pm.
- Mashed potatoes with different sauces such as “matoke” (a mixture of banana and potato), rice or different types of pasta such as spaghetti, macaroni, etc. are usually served for dinner.
For volunteers who require or have a different dietary need (vegetarians, intolerant to any particular food) we ask you to let us know in advance. This can be taken into account for the preparation of the food. We would also like to point out that this is a volunteer program in a different country and that the food there will not be the same as the food normally eaten at home. We will do our best to make the volunteers feel well cared for.
WHAT WILL THE ARRIVAL AT THE DESTINATION BE LIKE?
You need to arrive at Entebbe International Airport (EEB) or Jinja Airport (JIN), where a local team coordinator will welcome you. You may have to spend one night in the capital Kampala, due to the arrival time of your volunteer program in Uganda.
It is important that you arrive in the country on weekends to better coordinate the logistics of arrival and welcome with the rest of the volunteers.
Once you arrive at Jinja you will be assigned a room and a locker. The house rules will also be explained to you. In addition to the functionality and the presentation of the rest of the local team. After the explanation of the house, you will be given an orientation through the town, so you can orient yourself and have autonomy of movement to go to the projects or just go for a drink with the rest of the volunteers.
VISA IN UGANDA
To enter Uganda it is mandatory to have a visa. Visas are processed directly on arrival at Entebbe airport and cost 80€. Volunteers must have entry and exit tickets, proof of yellow fever vaccination and 2 passport/ID size photographs. The visa for volunteering in Uganda is valid for 3 months initially.
SECURITY IN UGANDA
Uganda is considered a safe country, but nothing is perfect, and as in many countries in the world you must take certain precautions and know how to handle yourself in certain areas.
Generally the tourist areas are safe, but we still recommend you to keep these details in mind:
- Notify your coordinator, in case you are going on an excursion.
- Have your coordinator’s phone number and the address where you are staying.
- Avoid giving out information about where you are staying, the project and your fellow volunteers.
- Do not bring anyone who is not from the organization to the volunteer’s house.
- Avoid risky areas in every place you visit.
- Travel frugally in your daily transfers and excursions.
- Avoid drawing attention to yourself with jewelry and accessories.
- If possible, avoid taking out your cell phone in public places.
- Try to use the country’s safe transportation services.
- Avoid walking alone on unfamiliar streets.
- Never take someone you do not know in an unfamiliar vehicle or in your own vehicle.
- Do not drink any beverage whose origin you do not know.
The financial contribution is divided into two parts:
- The registration fee, which you will donate to the Adventure Volunteer association. This contribution has a tax benefit of 80% which you can deduct in your income tax return.
- The remaining part of the cost of the programme will go to the partner organisation that we will send on your behalf as a substitute or you can hand it in directly to the project.
WHAT DOES VOLUNTEERING OFFER?
- Welcome at the airport every weekend
- Accommodation in the volunteer’s home
- Three (3) meals during the volunteering period.
- Orientation and induction day to the project and the area
- 24/7 support from the Adventure Volunteer team
- Programme monitoring and evaluation meeting
- Volunteer certificate upon request
- Tax certificate on request for tax deduction
- Guidance, advice and management in choosing the programme
- Accident and liability insurance
WHAT IS NOT OFFERED IN VOLUNTEERING?
- Flight to Uganda
- Travel insurance
- Internal transport
- Bottled water
- Beverages, dietary allowances and special meals
- Travel within or outside the country (excursions)
How to book my volunteering in Uganda?
Once you fill in the form to the programme, we will verify everything and confirm your place within 24 hours.
You pay the registration fee within 7 days, then your place will be guaranteed and you will be formally part of the family.
We send you the volunteer guide, compulsory insurances and the international volunteer agreement.